Philips SHE2650 - Overlooked Budget-fi Earbuds
Nov 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
Despite the popularity of IEMs these days, some of us still need or want to use earbuds.

I'd like to put forward the name of Philips SHE2650 earbuds as an option that should get more exposure in the budget class. They're around $11 from Amazon.com. For that, you get the earbuds with foamies and a windup case. The Y-cord ends in a straight 3.5mm plug.

The comfort of these things is excellent. They stay in my ears better than any other earbud I've tried. And because of the offset shape of the "stick" part they even feel OK when laying on my side.

I listen mostly straight of of a Sansa Clip. The sound of these earbuds is very neutral, the bass improves with my Mini3 amp, but quite acceptable to me unamped. Vocals and acoustic instuments sound sweet and natural

I don't have many good buds to compare these against. I prefer them to the Senn MX450 which always seemed rather dark for my taste. The balance is more neutral, resembling the KSC75. However, they do not have the sense of air and space of the KSC35/75. I had some imetal iM-290 buds that sound better, but the iM are too big for my ears and don't stay in place.

I don't think these are giant killers, but for an entry-level step up from stock earbuds or a situation where you don't want expensive buds or iems lost or damaged they do provide an enjoyable listening experience.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't know the market, and while I have been looking at phones that retail around $50, they seem to all be available at about half that price. With the great variety of choices out there, am I better off playing around in this $25 and under (street) category for awhile, to see what suits me?

Listening to the Sennheiser PMX70s, I can enjoy music at a volume that is the maximum of my Clip. (I am still listening to the Clip, because the Fuze won't display any of my Vorbis files, and I haven't taken the time to update its firmware.) This is a novel experience for me, because I am used to listening to a volume that doesn't hurt my ears due to the poor SQ. (I've been mostly listening to an Emerson boombox, which has now been evicted.)

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm not famliar enough with all the choices available today to say much. I just seem to gravitate towards either these "disposable" gems in the $10 to $15 range or some distinctly better stuff in the $100 + range. I haven't had much luck with the middle ground.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 14
I used to own a couple pairs of the 2650s.

The first pair lasted a few months living in my pocket daily before the cable connecting to one of the earbuds stopped working. I eventually got a 2nd pair which lasted a lot shorter, about a month. This time it was the cord connecting to my Nano that stopped working so no sound got to my earbuds at all.

I got the two pairs from Target for $9.99 each or really close to that.

I can't really comment for the sound because it's been almost a year since I last listened to them, but they're good earbuds for 10$ for those needing a cheap, cheap set.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpg2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own a couple pairs of the 2650s.

The first pair lasted a few months living in my pocket daily before the cable connecting to one of the earbuds stopped working. I eventually got a 2nd pair which lasted a lot shorter, about a month. This time it was the cord connecting to my Nano that stopped working so no sound got to my earbuds at all.

I got the two pairs from Target for $9.99 each or really close to that.

I can't really comment for the sound because it's been almost a year since I last listened to them, but they're good earbuds for 10$ for those needing a cheap, cheap set.

I've been really careful with mine, always carry them in a case. etc. And they have lasted many months. I thought they'd be hard to replace, but now that I know they're in every CVS and Walgreens around I won't be so gentle with them.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 14
I was asked for an update via PM so I thought I'd post my reply publicly.

Yes, I still use my SHE2650. If anything, I like them more now than when I first posted this thread.

I'm sure a large part of the reason is that they fit me just right. They stay in the aural sweet spot for good sound. I use a thin foam cover. The foam cuts off any hint of harshness and improves the fit. The shape nestles in the outer ear and stays put there. They get an A+ for comfort.

I can't think of much to say about the sound except that it's neutral, and I mean that in a good way. The earphone disappears and I hear music. Acoustic music sounds real. (I can't stand an earphone that can't make a piano sound like a piano.)

It's lighter on the bass than KSC-75s, and overall less punchy and fun sounding than 75s. Here comes the "Neutral" word again. They are not greatly detailed. For instance they don't do justice to complex orchestral music, but they are more detailed than the similarly priced JVC Gumy earbuds. They're fine for vocals, electronic, folk, chamber music. If I could compare it to anything else I've heard, it's like a less detailed HD555.

Durability has been fine. I got a couple of extra pairs on ebay (dirt cheap for "open box") and I leave them in coat pockets and sometimes just scrunch them in a pants pocket. So I'm sorta rotating through 3 pairs as I misplace them and find them again. All are still working.

I haven't put them through the Maytag test yet.
tongue.gif
(Although the JVC gumy actually passed that one with flying colors. )

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Let me just chime in on the 'overlooked gems' bit: I was caught outside once without my Senn CX300s (which up till then were 'superb' to my ears UNTIL they were opened by D1001s), and just had to purchase some stand-in phones to go. I popped into a neighbourhood electronics chain and started looking. In the end, I decided on a pair of Philips SHH9708... nothing fancy - usual 3-size silicon tips but it did come with zip-up carry case. I chose them because they were the 'best' available short off spending another $80+ on CX300 or the lesser EP630s. The box claimed 'High Definition Sound'.

Well, initially, I wasn't thrilled at all. For one thing, the tips did not fit me well, and because of that, I couldn't get anything but a muffled sound signature on what seemed like very boomy canalphones. Once I got home, I experimented with spare tips but couldn't get a good seal: the diameter of the Philips was just different enough from Sony and Senn that most tips will slip off if I tugged the cord. The best fit came from a pair of double flangers I bought from Jaben Network. I think the longer 'channel' helped to direct the sound better, but they still slipped off too easily.

Fast forward a couple of months; bought a iPod Touch 2G to replace my brick of an iPod 2G (that outlived than my 4G!) and decided to try the Denon 1001s. Wow! I look back at how defensive I was regarding the SQ of the CX300s and I'm embarrassed :p

Anyway, with my newly opened ears, I took out the Philips again and experimented. Lo and behold, when I used 'Bass Reducer' eq, the Philips responded brilliantly! No more bloated bass, just exceptional clarity that made me think I had the 1001s stuffed into a canalphone enclosure! Of course, burn in helped to round off the initially shrill highs.

My final mod: supaglue the double flange tips to the Philips. Now, I wouldn't give these Philips up for anything else. Not at $45 anyway. :)

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All are still working.

Ha. Within a week of posting that one pair died. The right earbud just stopped working. No visible damage. It was the oldest pair since it had L-plug and the newer ones have straight plugs.

Off to Ebay to get a replacement set, or two...

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 14
Got these for $6 shipped to replace a broken E818 (by your suggestion)

Don't notice anything especially spectacular about them.

Don't notice much of an improvement over stock iPod earphones (old version)

I remember being impressed by the $10 E818 when comparing to the stock iPod earphones.

Not so much with these.

I think the E818 were a better fit also.

confused_face.gif

This are kind of muddy?

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 14
I haven't tried the Philips SHE2650 earphones but I bought the Philips SHE5920 virtual surround earphones yesterday. Unfortunately, I cannot appreciate the good sound quality because the actual main earphones (not the ear buds) are far too big to stick in my ears to get a proper seal and as a result all I get is a tiny weak sound quality
frown.gif

Oh well thats £10 wasted
frown.gif

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back