Philips SBCHP1000 Review
May 15, 2004 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Drake

New Head-Fier
I noticed there were almost none reviews available of the hp1000 so here's a short review of them, i'm not very experienced with headphones but i hope it will give an impression of how they are.

I was going to buy the sony mdr-cd780 but they were unavailable so why not try the philips than
smily_headphones1.gif

The box they came in looks very nice :
picserver.jpeg

picserver.jpeg

The build quality is very nice, the pads are velour and the "arms" holding the cups are made from aluminum.
picserver.jpeg

They are very comfortable but they have a slight clamping force though, but i think that is becouse they have to loose up a bit yet.
picserver.jpeg

The cable is well made and is easily far beter than that of a stock sennheiser cable
tongue.gif

picserver.jpeg

So how do they sound:
Out of the box they sound already very good even though i didn't gave them a burn in. I hooked them up my technics reciever and sony cd player and gave them a shot. I used various music including punk,rock, elektronic, dance, and some classic (mainly from movies).The soundstage is realy great on these things even compared to the sen hd600 they sounded way more "open" witch is very nice for watching movies.
They sound typical like philips you could compare them with the hp890 but than with a little less bass but with way more soundstage.
Mids are good but sometimes a little dark, the treble is very clear and it is not bright or harsh at all, the bass is very strong but a slightly leaden sometimes. I expect them to sound less "darker" when they will have a proper burn in.

They can be very easy driven and should have no problems with portables.

Overall i'm very pleased with them even though they haven't even burned in yet (they already sound far beter than my old technics rp-f580).

May 15, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Good first review, Drake, thanks for that. You helped me find a new set of headphones for the galleries, too!!
smily_headphones1.gif
Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back