Philips SBC HP890 -> ? (gaming etc.)
May 21, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fufula

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, my first post here.

I dropped my HP890 headphones and it seems that this time they're beyond repair... I'm not much of an audiophile, though I do enjoy good sound quality. I'm looking for something cheap, below $100. I play games (mainly FPS-es), watch movies, listen to music etc., so I need them to be comfortable, because I'll be spending a lot of time wearing them. The pair I've happily owned for so many years might have not been the best when it comes to sound quality, but they were REALLY comfy. I'm looking for something similar, that won't hurt my ears after 15+ mins of usage (hi HD2xx!), preferably open, circumaural, with moderate amount of bass (I don't want explosions to totally muffle the enemy's footsteps etc. + I listen to many types of music, so I guess too much bass can't be good for everything).

I looked around the forum (and similar sites) and it seems that in this price range the best options would be HD485 and PX100 from Sennheiser. HD485 don't get too many positive reviews, as opposed to PX100, which seem to be loved by almost everyone. The problem with them is that they're portable phones and I'm not sure how they stack up against the ones I currently own comfort-wise. What about HD515, are they any good?

What could you suggest?

May 21, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 5
if u like the philips kindda sound... the updated version of ur phone, HP895 is worth checking out as well. it basically improves upon the HP890 in both sound AND construction (it's now built similar to HD580/600/650) but i believe the cable is still single sided 'n interchangable. PLUS U GET A STAND!! but i supposed u have the one from ur 890...

May 22, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 5
if ur coming from the HP890, id stay away from the HP895 honestly...

the HP890 is VERY comfortable...and the HP895 isnt. it puts rather alot of pressure on 1 point of ur head. although adding a simple sponge or foam MIGHT do the trick.

i say try looking at the newer HP8900. replacement of the HP895 and it looks to be more comfortable (although i guess its not as comfortable as the HP890)

May 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the answers.

D_4_Dog, problem is I don't know if I like the Philips kinda sound
tongue.gif
It definitely is better than what I was used to (cheapest headsets/headphones), but maybe I could get something better for the same price? I'm open to suggestions.

I couldn't find any HP895's where I live, only the 8900's are available. I remember reading somewhere, that the sound quality is inferior to that of HP895 and 890. Is it true? If not, then I'm probably gonna buy them, can get them for like $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back