Philips HP890 -> Etymotic ER-6i - upgrade in sound quality ?
Feb 28, 2005 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
Will i experience better sound quality from Etymotic ER-6i than from Philips HP890 ?
I'd like to buy ER-6i for my portable. I don't have an amp.

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Anyone have some opinion ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi

Since nobody has replied allow me to offer my lightweight comments, FWIW.

I have the HP890 and ER-4S. I haven't heard the ER-6i, but I'm very sure from comments about it that I will not find the bass as satisfying as that from the HP890. I suspect the soundstage loses out to the HP890 too. To my non-audiophile ears I find the HP890 have a very pleasant and "sweet" (liquid?) sound -- still can't decide whether I even prefer it to the Beyerdynamic DT880!

Of course you get more isolation, but that's a different consideration from sound quality.

Cheers

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 8
I would say no. I didn't try the ER-6i's for long, but comparing them even to Porta Pro's (with EQ'd down bass) I was disappointed (lack of bass, very harsh highs, tinny). Considering the bass you are used to with the 890's, you will definitely feel cheated. Many other people comment favourably on the Ety's though, so don't take what I say as the ultimate truth.

plato: I think the DT-880's are MUCH better than the 890's. what source are you using?

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, 890's has some nice bass
smily_headphones1.gif
, and i know i can' expect the same bass from ER-6i, but i would like to know if the high and midrange is nice and if bass are at least good or maybe better than 890's (not strong).
I'm looking for good sounding sound with some bass, nice midrange and highs for portable. And i want to know if they are better at reproducing midrange and highs than 890s.

dogday: did you have a good seal ? you have to have a good seal to hear bass, otherwise you will hear only highs. good seal doesn't mean putting them as deep as possible.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogday
plato: I think the DT-880's are MUCH better than the 890's. what source are you using?

My sources are an old Denon DCD-1300 and a Zen Xtra. No amp yet. Yes I know, perhaps not too fantastic! And hopefully the DT880 will sound different after some time. But currently it sounds a bit "dry" to me -- maybe it's due to the recessed mid-range that people talk of? -- unlike the HP890. Maybe the extended treble also contributes to that "dry" feeling? The HP890 sounds a bit "smoother" and more "easy-going" ...... sounds like blasphemy? Maybe it's just my ears.

Still, I really hope you're right, otherwise I'll be disappointed, since it cost me much more than the HP890!

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
dogday: did you have a good seal ? you have to have a good seal to hear bass, otherwise you will hear only highs. good seal doesn't mean putting them as deep as possible.

I'm now confident I got a good seal. I I even tried the foamies, and they sounded no different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plato
My sources are an old Denon DCD-1300 and a Zen Xtra. No amp yet. Yes I know, perhaps not too fantastic! And hopefully the DT880 will sound different after some time. But currently it sounds a bit "dry" to me -- maybe it's due to the recessed mid-range that people talk of? -- unlike the HP890. Maybe the extended treble also contributes to that "dry" feeling? The HP890 sounds a bit "smoother" and more "easy-going" ...... sounds like blasphemy? Maybe it's just my ears.

perhaps you need a better source to easier be able to tell the advantages of the 880's, but they should be pretty clear.. have you let the 880's burn in? have you used them exclusively for a while? I immidiately noticed the amazing detail the 880's brought when I first plugged them in (to the E-MU+Gilmore), but back then they also had very lean bass. after burn-in, they got that too. one other thing: if you continously swap between the headphones, you might prefer the sound of the 890's, just because it's more familiar. didn't happen to me though, after I put on the 880's the 890's went straight into a drawer, emerging only to be sold.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogday
perhaps you need a better source to easier be able to tell the advantages of the 880's, but they should be pretty clear.. have you let the 880's burn in? have you used them exclusively for a while? I immidiately noticed the amazing detail the 880's brought when I first plugged them in (to the E-MU+Gilmore), but back then they also had very lean bass. after burn-in, they got that too.

dogday, thanks for your tips. I'll bear them in mind and certainly keep on trying until my ears can discern the better headphone. If I still can't then it must be just me - a disturbing thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back