Philips HP805 update.
Oct 14, 2006 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
Ok,
It's been a year since i purchased these and they have been through a lot of dvd dolby headphone 2 movie watching.But their frequency responses likeability to Dolby Headphone is another matter entirely.This thread is about the absolute tonality of these compared to the Koss UR40(foam and kramer modded).

Sound Impressions :

Almost the same tonality of the UR40 without the midbass booom ,with slightly boosted upper mids;and minus the weird grainy treble of the UR40.Its still grainy but not weird grainy like the koss 60 ohm driver.

But the biggest plus : The bass control ! Boy ,does this 40mm philips driver hit the low lows.It murders the koss when equalized to boost the very lows(below 45 Hz).I boost 30 Hz to 45 Hz by about 3-4 db in my software equalizer and the driver never distorts or bottoms out when playing bass tests,test tones or during movies(unlike the koss driver which starts farting).The driver can actually handle about 10db of low low bass boost before it starts whooshing ! but using such extreme boost reduces the speeed of the driver in the treble.

Conclusion :Excellent headphone for bass lovers ! And its weird liking for Dolby Headphone.

Next Update : Pics of me wearing the HP805 in public !

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Source and amp :

Modified Audigy1 SE with better power regulation and modded with AD8620 and AD8397 opamps.

Resampling enabled at 48Khz.The card measures 100db Dynamic Range and -100 db noise at 24bit 48Khz and IMD of about 0.0017.

Yet,there are people over here who will claim that the ipod sounds better than the audigy! (even though it measures badly at RMAA !)

Oct 14, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Next Update : Pics of me wearing the HP805 in public !

I've been thinking about getting the 805 as a portable.

Honest.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I've been thinking about getting the 805 as a portable.

Honest.
biggrin.gif

NO way! or you guys need to take a picture to show me you guys are really wearing them out there
evil_smiley.gif

ok seriously, the 805 are really really nice for the price. lots of bass or almost too much bass though. it's a present from a friend who got it from thailand. very very cheap i heard but they don't sound cheap(20 dollars?). not the best build but, for the price, i think they're pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back