Philips HDD6330
Mar 13, 2006 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
how is this baby? any problems with interface, battery, software, sound quality, etc? its on sale at CC for $250, so what do you think? screen quality isnt that big of a deal for me.

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 6
Here is a comparison review I wrote.
http://dapreview.net/e107_plugins/co...hp?content.237

I think the HDD6330 is a great player, and even better at the price CC is selling it for.

-The interface is the best I have ever used.
-The battery is good.
-I prefer players that don't need any software, but this player has the best integration I have seen with the software. It uses WMP.
-The sound Quality is good, but if you are the type of person that likes really really loud volumes you may be dissapointer. The player goes louder than I listen to, but not as loud as many other players.
-You say screen quality isn't such a deal. The screen although small is of very good quality and provides a wide viewing angle for a DAP.

Damn I miss my philips. Too bad some A*sho*e stole it.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, I had the 6330 for about a week or so before I returned it. I don't know what it is, but nothing on the player would work correctly. The interface was slow. Music would not sync correctly using WMP. It worked the first time I drag n dropped it. But after that, it just sat there. The first two days, it was fine. The sound may not have been as clear or as loud as I wanted, but I was ok with it. Then by the third day it started to act up. It would shut down randomly and turn on randomly. Music began to disappear from it. I would try to resync it and still nothing. All the music was still on the player, it just disappeared when I tried to listen to it. It would have issues with starting up. It would skip for no reason and was just far too much trouble. I tried resyncing three times. I tried to add album art. I did everything I could to get the bloody thing to work and no go. I had hoped for it to be a great player, but it turned out to be a dud. Then after the sixth day or so, it wouldnt' even turn on. That was the last straw and I returned it. Traded it in for a Gigabeat F40. Haven't regretted that decision since.

I would heartily recommend the F40. It's on sale at Amazon for about 230 bucks. 40 gigs, plus a docking cradle and remote control for the player. It's a great great deal. People complain about the software, but I really see no problem with it. It's simple and works rather well.

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoob
I would heartily recommend the F40. It's on sale at Amazon for about 230 bucks. 40 gigs, plus a docking cradle and remote control for the player. It's a great great deal. People complain about the software, but I really see no problem with it. It's simple and works rather well.

I bought an F40 for $190.97 on clearance at Costco Wholesale. GUI is confusing at first, the software sucked (but worked ok), the + pad is absolutely horrible, but it had a lot of cool features and sounded ok if you left the EQ off. For under $200/40GB it's well worth dealing with those inconveniences. I however, didn't really need a player as I had already bought a Zen Vision: M.

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
I bought an F40 for $190.97 on clearance at Costco Wholesale. GUI is confusing at first, the software sucked (but worked ok), the + pad is absolutely horrible, but it had a lot of cool features and sounded ok if you left the EQ off. For under $200/40GB it's well worth dealing with those inconveniences. I however, didn't really need a player as I had already bought a Zen Vision: M.

Well, with the new firmware the UI is cleaned up very nicely. The software really doesn't suck that much, it's actually very simple to use and does everything nicely. It's never crashed on me and is a clean and simple way to transfer, for me anyhow. That, and with the new firmware, it's updated too, so it's more stable for others. And I don't understand how you say the Plustouch pad is horrible. I can operate it with my eyes closed and through my pants. It's just second nature.

Err, but this is about the HDD6330. I don't know, just for what you get..it doesn't seem that great. And as a music player, it's just ok. It doesn't give the kind of sound you'd be expecting, really. Everything just sounded tinny to me.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 6
If the F40 had been my first player, I might have thought it was wonderful. I started off with the Rio Karma, which IMHO was the pinnacle of usability for easily and effectively playing music. Then, when it succumbed to it's frailty, I bought an iRiver H320, then I used a 4G 20GB iPod that a friend loaned men, then I bought the F40, and finally I bought my Zen Vision: M. Every other player mentioned, was (for me) MUCH easier to deal with. I'm not saying that it's extrememly difficult to use or anything. Just by comparison, I didn't find that it stacked up to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back