Philips HDD120 hard disk replacement (tips)
Feb 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shosta

100+ Head-Fier
This can be of interest for someone.
My Philips HDD120 died two weeks ago.
I almost decided to buy an iPod or X5 but no mp3 player do all these things:
- gapless,
- album art
- multilevel playlist.

So I tried to repair the Philips HDD120, and I wait for the next generation of Cowon/Apple.
This mp3 player has a Sony's battery and a Hardisk of Toshiba: MK2004GAL.
The problem was the hard disk: Sectors failed.
This disk is discontinued and I found the new MK3006GAL (30 GB) and the MK2006GAL (20 GB) both of them of the same size. There is another one of 60GB (MK6006GAL) but this is bigger. Got the MK3006GAL in a electronic store near home.
I think these are the same disks that come with the new iPOD. It's noteworthy that the 60GB consumes less power that the 30GB, perhaps this is one of the reasons of the bigger battery time of the iPOD of 60GB.

What i did?
- Open the Philips HDD120 (two screws at the bottom and then five more under the embellishment).
- Extract the old hardisk
- Insert the new one.
- Close.
Very, very easy.
Then you have to connect it to a computer.
- The computer recognizes the Philips but you cannot see the Logical drive at the windows explorer. Now you have to format the disk.
- Go to the Control Panel, then Administrative Tools (I have windows 2000 in spanish, i don't know the exact name in english version). Then Disk Administration
- Sign the usb disk (30gb unasigned).
- Then format the disk.
- After that go to the Philips DMM software and Initialize the HDD (and then you can install the last firmware).

Now you have a Philips HDD120 with 10GB more than the original one.
biggrin.gif

Now, just transfer your music.

Hope this can help someone. It's very similar to other disks
replacement (and very easy ).

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by louis cypher
my hd120 died today no joke its just been froze for hours im gonna give this a shoot cause i really like the phillps player. how much was the new hdd?

In Spain, in a 'brick' store costs 114€.
In Internet is cheaper:
http://www.compumusic.com/i35413.htm
http://www.newandrefurbelectronics.c...-p-310471.html
But if I buy in the USA i have to wait and pay duties.
BTW, the other disc sounded at the headphones with the new disc the sound is gone.
Good luck.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Is it possble to replace the hard disc in creative zen touch with the same one (if it's not discontinued) or with any other one? Does the firmware reload from the hard disc or ROM? But if it reloads from the hard drive is it possible to find the software for it? thanks in advance

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 5
I don't know but in the case of the Philips the software for the PC has an utility to reload (or update) the firmware. It restores the system files and the firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back