Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,382 of 1,964
If we're being real thats the original price of the X2s.
I paid ~1400 for the X2s years ago. Considering the X2HR are no different, why do they cost twice the price?
I paid 150euro for my X2HR when they where on sale on Amazon a few years back (excluding tax 21%)

I never seen the X2HR under 3000sek in Sweden.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #1,383 of 1,964
If we're being real thats the original price of the X2s.
I paid ~1400 for the X2s years ago. Considering the X2HR are no different, why do they cost twice the price?

That is not the "original" price . The X2s we're also released at over $300, just like the X3. X1 we're also originally released at a much, much higher price than they eventually sold for.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,384 of 1,964
That is not the "original" price . The X2s we're also released at over $300, just like the X3. X1 we're also originally released at a much, much higher price than they eventually sold for.

Except here in Sweden, the X2 released at 350 but it was lowered to 230 after only ~20 days and remained so for the rest of its shelf time. I got mine for 140 during a sale.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,385 of 1,964
Except here in Sweden, the X2 released at 350 but it was lowered to 230 after only ~20 days and remained so for the rest of its shelf time. I got mine for 140 during a sale.

Kind of a pointless argument, that the deal now is bad just because you snagged it for 140usd a few years back. The price of 3000 SEK has been valid for the past six months, so the price of 1500 SEK is effectively 50% regardless if you or I bought it for a similar price years ago.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,386 of 1,964
I bought these after extensive reading and youtube review checking, including digesting half of this thread.
This is my verdict: They are very good, but they aren't worth their original retail price. The build quality feels pretty good, and they are quite comfortable on my head. However. I think the choice of connectors on the headphone cans is wrong. They connectors should have a locking mechanism, like with a 4pin mini xlr or the twist and turn type of tele connector on say the ATHM50x. As it is now, you run the risk of causing accidental damage to the cans by pulling the cable out by mistake. The cable length is frustrating as is the lack of available 3rd party options. Haven't found any that ships to Sweden.

Regarding the sound, it sounds pretty spot on up until like 3.5 khz. I've EQed my system sound output on the computer where I've added at 3khz and removed at roughly 7.5 khz. It's needed. But all in all, a very good set of cans, just not worth the original price tag.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,387 of 1,964
They connectors should have a locking mechanism, like with a 4pin mini xlr or the twist and turn type of tele connector on say the ATHM50x. As it is now, you run the risk of causing accidental damage to the cans by pulling the cable out by mistake. The cable length is frustrating as is the lack of available 3rd party options. Haven't found any that ships to Sweden.

In terms of causing damage to the cable or the connection ports its non existent as the only thing that can happen is that the cord is janked out, on a locked cable you can potentially damage the mini xlr port or the cable if enough force is applied.

The length is no issue for me, but I might get a custom cable from OIDIO
PXL_20201120_104122685b-900x600.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,388 of 1,964
In terms of causing damage to the cable or the connection ports its non existent as the only thing that can happen is that the cord is janked out, on a locked cable you can potentially damage the mini xlr port or the cable if enough force is applied.

The length is no issue for me, but I might get a custom cable from OIDIO
PXL_20201120_104122685b-900x600.jpg

Better confirm the wiring, the X3 isn't wired like dual 3.5mm Hifiman headphones

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,390 of 1,964
Yes of course, the wiring should not be a problem to get right when you get a custom cable.

Yeah I figure OIDIO can do the job just fine if they're given the correct specs

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,391 of 1,964
In terms of causing damage to the cable or the connection ports its non existent as the only thing that can happen is that the cord is janked out,
Not too sure about that. I destroyed an iPod's output jack 15 years ago like that. It slightly dislocated the jack (or something like that anyway, I seem to recall the cable sitting looser in the jack after that too), causing the connection to glitch.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,392 of 1,964
Not too sure about that. I destroyed an iPod's output jack 15 years ago like that. It slightly dislocated the jack (or something like that anyway, I seem to recall the cable sitting looser in the jack after that too), causing the connection to glitch.
Yeah 15-year ipod isn't really relevant. With your logic just about every 3.5mm jack is accident waiting to happen.

Yet there are plenty of gear who still incorporates it. 4-pin mini xlr comes with their own issues, had two BD cables getting stuck due to poor connections. So there is potential issues with every connection. Fact remains you have to make an effort to yank the cables out at angle to destroy the ports on the X3.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,393 of 1,964
Kind of a pointless argument, that the deal now is bad just because you snagged it for 140usd a few years back. The price of 3000 SEK has been valid for the past six months, so the price of 1500 SEK is effectively 50% regardless if you or I bought it for a similar price years ago.

Use prisjakt. Look at the price history.
They raised it. Its a scam, quite literally.

The actual price was 2290 kr since 2017. 20 days after the release of the original X2s. For the remainder of its life.
1500 is not 50%, its the retailers fooling its customers into thinking they're getting a WOW deal.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,394 of 1,964
Seriously, I'm Swedish myself but this discussion is pretty irrelevant for 99,9% of the user's in here. Maybe better to take it in a PM, just my 2c.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back