Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,366 of 1,964
They seem in the headband on the X3 is normal as long as it hasn't started peeling. The X3 will demand more of your amp than the X2HR and they will need some time to warm up.

I'd take the tighter and more engaging bass of the X3 over the rumbling X2HR, to be honest.
I noticed the headband seam looking a poor job within a day or two of receiving them. It's got worse as the weeks have gone by.

I agree regarding the X3 in that they are more power hungry than the X2HR. Both remind me of planar headphones I used to own in that respect.

Yes I had noticed some adjustment in my brain adjusting to the sound/warm up of the X3, however they just don't offer the bass I am used to. Perhaps I was spoiled by my previous set up a few years ago (£3k worth of amp/dac/headphones) vs £500 worth of dac/amp/headphones I use today.

Edit: I should probably add more context... I prefer a warmer/more musical, "fun" sound compared with a more clinical/analytical sound. I want my foot tapping with enjoyment rather than listening for every last details and analysing it as I listen. I personally find the X2HR more "fun" than the X3.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #1,367 of 1,964
Maybe we should put something on the seam to reinforce it when new, vs trying to fix it down the road when it peels back?

Hmmm, I’ll have to give some thought about what could work. Maybe even something specifically made for leather (I think it’s called Seam Seal if I remember correctly).

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #1,368 of 1,964
I noticed the headband seam looking a poor job within a day or two of receiving them. It's got worse as the weeks have gone by.

I agree regarding the X3 in that they are more power hungry than the X2HR. Both remind me of planar headphones I used to own in that respect.

Yes I had noticed some adjustment in my brain adjusting to the sound/warm up of the X3, however they just don't offer the bass I am used to. Perhaps I was spoiled by my previous set up a few years ago (£3k worth of amp/dac/headphones) vs £500 worth of dac/amp/headphones I use today.

Edit: I should probably add more context... I prefer a warmer/more musical, "fun" sound compared with a more clinical/analytical sound. I want my foot tapping with enjoyment rather than listening for every last details and analysing it as I listen. I personally find the X2HR more "fun" than the X3.

Maybe you'd like Koss Porta Pros (modded with Yaxi pads and headband with less clamp) and Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts... some of the more warm and musical headphone I have. Also modded a Sennheiser HD58X to be really warm and dark... lots of fun low end in it with good mids.

The X3 does take well to tube amps and EQ though... low end is more than statisfying to me and its very musical sounding... both on Mullard 6201 and Reflector 6H23n-EB tubes.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,369 of 1,964
Maybe you'd like Koss Porta Pros (modded with Yaxi pads and headband with less clamp) and Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts... some of the more warm and musical headphone I have. Also modded a Sennheiser HD58X to be really warm and dark... lots of fun low end in it with good mids.

The X3 does take well to tube amps and EQ though... low end is more than satisfying to me and its very musical sounding... both on Mullard 6201 and Reflector 6H23n-EB tubes.
Okay thanks - I will read up on your suggestions. I've heard of the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts before. Also always wanted a pair of Fostex TH-900s, but probably too v-shaped for me (and expensive).

I must admit - I really miss tube amps. My set-up a few years back was Schiit Mjolnir & Gungnir, with Bugle Boy tubes & Mrspeakers Alpha Prime headphones. Was an end game setup for me until I had to sell when financial challenges hit (can happen to anyone sadly). I'm now at the start of my renewed head-fi journey and have just fallen down the rabbit hole again!

I do think the Fiio K5 Pro & X2HR are a great mix, but I miss the lushness of tubes and the musicality I used to have. I'm also using a PC as source (Amazon Music) in my home office so not quite as easy going in the lounge as it was before.

Edit: spelling error correction

Edit 2: I just looked up the Koss Porta Pro's and I remembered that I tried them years back and I disliked them.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,370 of 1,964
I tried some EQs by Jaakko Pasanen, the Fidelio X3 Fixed band and parametric EQs, but they sound horrible to my ears. Very thin and shouty
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...y1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Philips Fidelio X3
So I have made my own EQ, well I only EQ-ed the 6-8k region by ears and with the Oratory frequency response chart as a reference. First I had the Q(Quality at the default 4.32 setting, but gradually I have made it more narrow, just by listening. I have to learn a lot more but with this EQ setting the X3s sound rather similar to the Avantone Pro Planars, save for X3s 2-4k dip which I didn't EQ.
So I was listening all evening thinking by myself: wow the X3s sound indeed better when the highs are tamed a bit. Only to find out that the whole evening the EQ was
1607293834929.png

LOL So I am not sure if I ever need this EQ setting
1607293016096.png

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,371 of 1,964
Okay thanks - I will read up on your suggestions. I've heard of the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts before. Also always wanted a pair of Fostex TH-900s, but probably too v-shaped for me (and expensive).

I must admit - I really miss tube amps. My set-up a few years back was Schiit Mjolnir & Gungnir, with Bugle Boy tubes & Mrspeakers Alpha Prime headphones. Was an end game setup for me until I had to sell when financial challenges hit (can happen to anyone sadly). I'm now at the start of my renewed head-fi journey and have just fallen down the rabbit hole again!

I do think the Fiio K5 Pro & X2HR are a great mix, but I miss the lushness of tubes and the musicality I used to have. I'm also using a PC as source (Amazon Music) in my home office so not quite as easy going in the lounge as it was before.

Edit: spelling error correction

Edit 2: I just looked up the Koss Porta Pro's and I remembered that I tried them years back and I disliked them.

Yeah I had to sell off my E-stat setup along with STAX and other estats towards the begining of this year. I honestly don't miss them though, it was very nice, but I really do prefer more musical and euphonic focused presentation over technical excellence.

Went with the Garage 1217 Project Ember II hybrid tube amp and it provides exactly what I was looking for - nice clean sound with the separation and spacial presentation you will only get with tubes and depending on tube you can really change things up and focus on what the particular headphone needs help with...
i-Gdg3FRd.jpg

i-bpfqSkk.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,372 of 1,964
I swapped back to my HD 558s.
I dont know, I just cant get that fun sound from the X3s. They're nice and all. Just too analytical? For me.
I guess I'll have to wait for X2HR to come down in price or a good alternative to my 558s but a bit deeper sounding (not muddy) out of the box. Sennies never go on sale though sadly. I just like how much I can tweak the sound on the 558s using EQ, speaking only of the low end. I get the sound I want rather quickly. With the X3s not so much.
My EDM tracks sound boring with them. I like the vocals though on vocally focused songs, like korean ballads. But for other genres not as much. Movie was nice, but still lacked the low end of the X2s.

Although Im not sure about getting another pair of X2(HR) since my previous ones, the headband pleather or whatever material is around the cloth, started peeling and the Velour sitting on the foam pads on the earcups came off completely after ~3? years. So that will probably happen again. Id like a pair that last a decade maybe. My 558s look brand new still. Just need a lint roller every couple months.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,373 of 1,964
Yeah I had to sell of my E-stat setup along with STAX and other estats towards the begining of this year. I honestly don't miss them though, it was very nice, but I really do prefer more musical and euphonic focused presentation over technical excellence.

Went with the Garage 1217 Project Ember II hybrid tube amp and it provides exactly what I was looking for - nice clean sound with the separation and spacial presentation you will only get with tubes and depending on tube you can really change things up and focus on what the particular headphone needs help with...
i-Gdg3FRd.jpg

i-bpfqSkk.jpg
Shame about the kit you had to sell, but pleased to hear you don't miss them too much. I too much prefer more musical, lush and euphoric sound.

Thx for the pics - you've a great collection of gear. I had a Project Ember years ago and it was a great amp - especially considering price etc. I kept a couple of bugle boys - they are in my dining room display cabinet lol...perhaps I should consider a Project Ember again and stick a BB in, and do as you have with a Schiit dac.

I looked up the Purpleheart and they sound right up my street. Only thing is they are unavailable currently, and, there are horror stories about poor build quality and even more worryingly are the reports of poor spares and awful customer services from Drop.

BTW- are those orange headphones the Koss? If yes, they look so different from stock!!

P.S - apologies to all for a deviation from the X3 chatter.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #1,374 of 1,964
So I was listening all evening thinking by myself: wow the X3s sound indeed better when the highs are tamed a bit. Only to find out that the whole evening the EQ was 1607293834929.png

This sounds like something I would do.... Wait a minute! I have done it. lol

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,375 of 1,964
Although Im not sure about getting another pair of X2(HR) since my previous ones, the headband pleather or whatever material is around the cloth, started peeling and the Velour sitting on the foam pads on the earcups came off completely after ~3? years. So that will probably happen again.

Ive never heard of that happening. Do you have pictures?

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,376 of 1,964
Ive never heard of that happening. Do you have pictures?

Never heard of which happening?
The peeling or the velour coming off?

The peeling, its just the non-cloth part around the headband coming off in little pieces, like flakes.

The velour isnt sown in place its just glued (not talking about the glue making the whole pad casing irremovable, I had those though) so with heat + time and wear, they came off eventually, the left one first for me.
Samsung had a similar issue with their TVs where the glue keeping the plastic backplate in place, loosened up because of temperature. The KS 8 series.
Sweden dont have AC so during summer it can easily hit 30c+ in a room even at night (with PC heating up the room). So that + body temp probably overtime caused the glue to come loose or something.
Now that I think about it, even the pleather covering the top part of the headband (the one not touching your head) is also just glued on on the X2.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,377 of 1,964
Never heard of which happening?
The peeling or the velour coming off?

The peeling, its just the non-cloth part around the headband coming off in little pieces, like flakes.

The velour isnt sown in place its just glued (not talking about the glue making the whole pad casing irremovable, I had those though) so with heat + time and wear, they came off eventually, the left one first for me.
Samsung had a similar issue with their TVs where the glue keeping the plastic backplate in place, loosened up because of temperature. The KS 8 series.
Sweden dont have AC so during summer it can easily hit 30c+ in a room even at night (with PC heating up the room). So that + body temp probably overtime caused the glue to come loose or something.
Now that I think about it, even the pleather covering the top part of the headband (the one not touching your head) is also just glued on on the X2.

I’ve never heard of either. I guess it is because mine have never experienced the temperature difference that you described.

It makes sense though. Perhaps Philips should have used stronger or higher temperature glue?

Is there any way that you can reattach the headband where it has peeled? Maybe with a few drops of extra glue?

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,379 of 1,964
As per my previous post, I arranged to return the X3 to AO.com today. They spoke with Philips and shared the picture I took of the headband. It sounds like they are keen to assess and address any QA issues. I'll soon have the £299 GBP refund and I will set aside for my next set of headphones.

Had my X2HR on all day today and I've enjoyed them. They are a bargain at the price I paid for them however they aren't quite what I'm looking for longer term.

I do know that a return to tube amps and separate dac are on the cards, and I may consider a closed or semi-closed headphone.

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #1,380 of 1,964
I tried some EQs by Jaakko Pasanen, the Fidelio X3 Fixed band and parametric EQs, but they sound horrible to my ears. Very thin and shouty
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...y1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Philips Fidelio X3
So I have made my own EQ, well I only EQ-ed the 6-8k region by ears and with the Oratory frequency response chart as a reference. First I had the Q(Quality at the default 4.32 setting, but gradually I have made it more narrow, just by listening. I have to learn a lot more but with this EQ setting the X3s sound rather similar to the Avantone Pro Planars, save for X3s 2-4k dip which I didn't EQ.
So I was listening all evening thinking by myself: wow the X3s sound indeed better when the highs are tamed a bit. Only to find out that the whole evening the EQ was
Lol, I've been there done that.
As a matter of fact many people, including professional recording engineers, have had the same experience, at least once.
It's a form of expectation bias. We all expect that moving the sliders on an equalizer or adjusting bass, treble knobs is going to change the sound.
It does change the sound , and on those rare occasions when something isn't activated, it still changes the sound. In our minds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back