Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,351 of 1,964
It's surprising to see this thread staying active. The general consensus early on was pretty negative, but the tide seems to have been turned. Glad many of you are enjoying them.

Personally, I find AKG K712 Pro far more attractive in this price range than the X3s. Both are generally exciting and energetic with focus and brightness in the upper frequencies, but I just find the K712s more tastefully done, compared to the sibilance I get with the X3s and in your face presentation. When you sufficiently amp the AKGs, I just find them to be far more compelling choice than the Phillips. I own both and that's just my subjective preference/opinion.

Anyways, glad to see this thread isn't dead.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,352 of 1,964
but I just find the K712s more tastefully done, compared to the sibilance I get with the X3s and in your face presentation.
The K712 have a huge peak around 2-3K which I find more fatiguing than a 6-7k peak. The 1-4K region can make vocals sound shouty and grainy and strings sound hard and metallic. But as you said, it is all opinion. :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,353 of 1,964
Day.. 2½ of the X3s.
Headband seem a little more forgiving. But still clamping.

Anyway those of you with these X3s, can you listen to what this song sounds like to you?

Just me or does the snare or whatever it is, sound kinda harsh or awful? Other instruments/sounds in that same freq range sound kinda ugly to me.

I guessthe only way I can explain is that things around this freq sound.. metallic?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,354 of 1,964
Don't ever post on head-fi, just a lurker, but will say I picked up a set about a month ago and like what I hear. Soundstage is fantastic with depth and width. Details are incredible with nice airiness. Certainly not a warm set and I did have to EQ it to bring down the 8K peak and add a touch of bottom. Overall I am very pleased and can listen to these things all day long.

Generally using Tidal Masters as source via PC, pairing it with a non-balanced output from a ZEN CAN fed from a ZEN DAC. I found the warmer BurrBrown in the DAC matches better than my ESS9018 DAC (too clinical sounding with these cans IMO). I always look for value and strive to get 90% there with less spend and I know I easily accomplished that here.

I've attached my APO EQ settings - trusted my earballs to dial it in - no measurements.

EQ.PNG

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #1,355 of 1,964
Day.. 2½ of the X3s.

Anyway those of you with these X3s, can you listen to what this song sounds like to you?

Just me or does the snare or whatever it is, sound kinda harsh or awful? Other instruments/sounds in that same freq range sound kinda ugly to me.

I guessthe only way I can explain is that things around this freq sound.. metallic?

Song is more of the issue... the treble sounds harsh and pretty similar on my modded HD58Xs (which has a very warm and dark presentation) as it does on the brighter, more trebly X3.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #1,356 of 1,964
Thank you! Appreciated the information!👍 Then I will keep using the X3 on high gain on the X7.

The more I compare the X3 to my X2 the more I prefer the X3. A little punchier,cleaner and more detailed. The X2 is all about fun and are very easy on the ears. Spent a couple of hours in Modern warfare and BF5 with both the X3 and the X2 and the X3 is certainly better for positional audio on the X7. But also more detailed, on the X2 i had dialed in some boost on the higher freq. range to get a little more "detail" that isn't needed at all with the X2.

Hi,

Unless you have not enough volume to listen, I would suggest to leave the "no gain" setting.
For two reasons.
One that I am not sure of, but at low levels, ground noise should be less.
The other one I expereienced : the volume adjusting gives you more choices (you can use from 0 to 60 ou tof 100 when you'll be able to use only 0 to 30 with high gain).

Just my thoughts...

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #1,357 of 1,964
Don't ever post on head-fi, just a lurker, but will say I picked up a set about a month ago and like what I hear. Soundstage is fantastic with depth and width. Details are incredible with nice airiness. Certainly not a warm set and I did have to EQ it to bring down the 8K peak and add a touch of bottom. Overall I am very pleased and can listen to these things all day long.

Generally using Tidal Masters as source via PC, pairing it with a non-balanced output from a ZEN CAN fed from a ZEN DAC. I found the warmer BurrBrown in the DAC matches better than my ESS9018 DAC (too clinical sounding with these cans IMO). I always look for value and strive to get 90% there with less spend and I know I easily accomplished that here.

I've attached my APO EQ settings - trusted my earballs to dial it in - no measurements.

Bilde_2020-12-06_120402.png
I tried to adjust the frequency response to match the Rtings target response. https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/fidelio-x3
Please note I used the "graphic equalization", not "filters for equalization" (the green EQ beneath the bands)

Try it :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,358 of 1,964
I also find the X3 to sound better with balanced output on the BTR5, than unbalanced to the Dragonfly Cobalt. Fuller and warmer sound.
The already quite harsh X3 is noticably harsher with the Cobalt. :frowning2:
I would sell the Cobalt if it didn't work as good as it does with my Fiio FH3 from my iPhone 12.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,359 of 1,964
Day.. 2½ of the X3s.

The vocal is recorded pretty bright by itself, very 'breathy' and recorded with grain. Whether I listen to it with the Avantone Planars, the HD650s or the X3s it just doesn't sound pleasant. The X3s have a brighter hue than the Avantones and HD650s but not harsher or metalic. Actually I think the HD650s let you hear the grain in the voice the most.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,360 of 1,964
Song is more of the issue... the treble sounds harsh and pretty similar on my modded HD58Xs (which has a very warm and dark presentation) as it does on the brighter, more trebly X3.
Are we saying the headphones (X3s) are more unforgiving for bad? mixing? Which is potentially, most of what Spotify offers?

The vocal is recorded pretty bright by itself, very 'breathy' and recorded with grain. Whether I listen to it with the Avantone Planars, the HD650s or the X3s it just doesn't sound pleasant. The X3s have a brighter hue than the Avantones and HD650s but not harsher or metalic. Actually I think the HD650s let you hear the grain in the voice the most.

I didnt notice the grain, maybe its the volume I listen at, I do note that the more I raise the volume the fuller/warmer the sound becomes but I also dont wanna go deaf or damage my hearing.. But I notice alot of sharp S's on female vocals regardless of volume levels.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,361 of 1,964
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,362 of 1,964
Hi,

Unless you have not enough volume to listen, I would suggest to leave the "no gain" setting.
For two reasons.
One that I am not sure of, but at low levels, ground noise should be less.
The other one I expereienced : the volume adjusting gives you more choices (you can use from 0 to 60 ou tof 100 when you'll be able to use only 0 to 30 with high gain).

Just my thoughts...

Well on normal gain i can easily go 100 and depending on the source volume it may not be enough. Ground noise is not an issue, in my office so that isn't something I worry about. The benefit (apart from having more power to draw from) of using high gain is that the speaker and headphone volume is basically matched now, so no more surprises going from HP 80% to speakers.. :)

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,363 of 1,964
Since early 2020, I've been using X2HR with a Fiio K5 Pro- which to my ears sounds fun, and pretty good (though I wish more sub bass is present).

I bought Fidelio X3 in Mid-September as an upgrade, and I've two major issues... (1) lack of bass and sub bass...and (2) poor build quality (as pictured) with the headband leather starting to peel.

I A/B tested X2HR & X3 earlier, and I concluded that X3 are crisper, wider and more detailed, but they are gutless when it comes to lower frequencies.

I'm returning the X3 as faulty due to the headband leather, but I will be seeking a refund and I will not bother with a replacement.

I'm to keep the X2HR for now, and start a new journey with a search for a different set of headphones, possibly a different DAC/amp.

I really enjoy electronic music (M83, Chicane, Tiesto etc) and also the likes of Vangelis (Antarctica OST, Blade Runner OST) and 80s/90s music.

I'm now totally at a loss where to begin this new journey to the perfect combo!

Let the fun begin.

Attachments

• Philips Fidelio X3 leather headband.jpeg
    Philips Fidelio X3 leather headband.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,365 of 1,964
They seem in the headband on the X3 is normal as long as it hasn't started peeling. The X3 will demand more of your amp than the X2HR and they will need some time to warm up.

I'd take the tighter and more engaging bass of the X3 over the rumbling X2HR, to be honest.

Agreed, that seam is totally normal and looks just they do right out of the box. I don’t really see what the issue is as long as it’s not peeling, but maybe the photo didn’t do it justice or something. Looks fine to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back