Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 1, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,336 of 1,964
Thank you! Appreciated the information!👍 Then I will keep using the X3 on high gain on the X7.

The more I compare the X3 to my X2 the more I prefer the X3. A little punchier,cleaner and more detailed. The X2 is all about fun and are very easy on the ears. Spent a couple of hours in Modern warfare and BF5 with both the X3 and the X2 and the X3 is certainly better for positional audio on the X7. But also more detailed, on the X2 i had dialed in some boost on the higher freq. range to get a little more "detail" that isn't needed at all with the X2.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,337 of 1,964
I picked these up yesterday.
And I previously had the X2, which broke (well they function, just the velour came off the left cup entirely and partially on the right and Philips dont wanna gimme any new)
so Ive been using my old HD 558s (with the foam pad removed inside) since that, so approx 2 months, and to compare.

I use Xonar STX II with headphone amp gain set to the lowest so <64ohm, with win vol at 50% and -4db preamp in eq apo right now.

These X3s def sound nice, but nowhere near as nice as the X2s in terms of the lower end. Theres no physical sensation anymore when it comes to bass, a bassline doesnt really, have any presence.
I used to run a +3 db in the 30-100hz range on the X2s and using +6 on these X3s barely give me the same feeling, barely.
And if I keep adding to it, I dont feel like it improves the low end much if at all.
Im no real growly muddy basshead by any means but I like my thunder to feel like thunder and the bass in EDM music to be properly present otherwise I might just aswell listen with my old 558s.
The mids and highs are def improved, but the highs? around 10khz? feel really sharp, almost piercing, really hissy S's.
Some songs are kind of harsh on the ears, maybe im sensitive to it idk some cymbal/hihat sounds are also sharp.
I really like the separation and panning sounds that go around or through the head. Positioning is nicer too, easier to hear footsteps and such in games.

I feel like my 558s with a really extreme eq apo (31band) bump in the 20-160hz range (8-10-12-13-12-10-8-6-3-1db, -10db preamp)) sound much more alive and closer to the X2s did, more fun. More low end presence. (Some will split hairs about this EQ lmao) but I dont know, vocals remain clear so does the midrange and low end just becomes present, you can "feel" the strokes on your ears in say ASMR videos and so on. Doesnt happen with these X3s.

Main problem I have though is the: Comfort. Does the headband relax? Tilting my head forwards or back and the headphones (drivers) move upwards on my head so I have to literally push them back down. Also they clamp hard as fu.. my glasses leave marks behind my ears and it become sore. Never had this issue with the X2s when they were fresh out the box. They felt comfy from the get go. Idk why these sit so hard. The pads also feel harder, I guess its because its memoryfoam instead of what the previous ones used?
Oh and the headband feels way harder and not as comfy as the X2s did.Its like theres no padding in it, just leather.

Actually
When I push the headphones closer to the ears, bass becomes more present and they sound more fun and similar to the X2s. But they go back to X3 sounding once I let go.

I really wish these were the successors (continuation maybe?) to the X2s but it seems they're a completely different set of headphones.
The X2s cant be bought in Sweden and the X2HR are €300, the X2s when I bought them were €150..The X3s were cheaper than the X2HRs by €100 during blackweek.
It makes no sense.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,338 of 1,964
The X2 are bass-heavy for sure, they are fun but they lack detail in comparison. Setting up the X2HR on a more neutral audio interface the lack of detail and heavy bass becomes more apparent. But if you are used to the X2 the X3 will certainly be very different, as been mentioned the X3 really isn't the X2 in a new body.

After having spent a few more days with the X3 I really appreciate the difference the X3 brings, it's not as clinical and clean as a pair of reference HP but they are more controlled and the bass is tighter and punchier than the rumbling X2. Personally, I find the fit of the X3 to be as good as the X2 on my head, and I do love the look of the X3 over the X2.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,339 of 1,964
Am I really the only person who finds the X2HRs to be more sibilant and aggressive in their highs than the X3s? It is so apparent that I almost find it hard to believe those who hear it the opposite way.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,340 of 1,964
Am I really the only person who finds the X2HRs to be more sibilant and aggressive in their highs than the X3s? It is so apparent that I almost find it hard to believe those who hear it the opposite way.
Yes, you are the only one. :wink: I have tested both on 4 different DAC's and just about every review agrees that the X3 is more prone to be harsher than the X2

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,341 of 1,964
The X2 are bass-heavy for sure, they are fun but they lack detail in comparison. Setting up the X2HR on a more neutral audio interface the lack of detail and heavy bass becomes more apparent. But if you are used to the X2 the X3 will certainly be very different, as been mentioned the X3 really isn't the X2 in a new body.

After having spent a few more days with the X3 I really appreciate the difference the X3 brings, it's not as clinical and clean as a pair of reference HP but they are more controlled and the bass is tighter and punchier than the rumbling X2. Personally, I find the fit of the X3 to be as good as the X2 on my head, and I do love the look of the X3 over the X2.

Like, dont get me wrong, I like them, but I wish the low end was more present.
I do enjoy clean bass but I also like rumble when it fits, like in a movie or a tv series or a video game. Music usually dont have that unless its straight up EDM and EDM without the rumble/warmth feels off to me. If they had the bass presence aswell as less sharp highs (maybe this will improve as I "drive them in?") I would def keep them.
I'll give them a week and see if anything improves, especially the clamp, its torture right now.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,342 of 1,964
And I previously had the X2, which broke (well they function, just the velour came off the left cup entirely and partially on the right and Philips dont wanna gimme any new)
so Ive been using my old HD 558s (with the foam pad removed inside) since that, so approx 2 months, and to compare.

I use Xonar STX II with headphone amp gain set to the lowest so <64ohm, with win vol at 50% and -4db preamp in eq apo right now.

These X3s def sound nice, but nowhere near as nice as the X2s in terms of the lower end. Theres no physical sensation anymore when it comes to bass, a bassline doesnt really, have any presence.
I used to run a +3 db in the 30-100hz range on the X2s and using +6 on these X3s barely give me the same feeling, barely.
And if I keep adding to it, I dont feel like it improves the low end much if at all.
Im no real growly muddy basshead by any means but I like my thunder to feel like thunder and the bass in EDM music to be properly present otherwise I might just aswell listen with my old 558s.
The mids and highs are def improved, but the highs? around 10khz? feel really sharp, almost piercing, really hissy S's.
Some songs are kind of harsh on the ears, maybe im sensitive to it idk some cymbal/hihat sounds are also sharp.
I really like the separation and panning sounds that go around or through the head. Positioning is nicer too, easier to hear footsteps and such in games.

I feel like my 558s with a really extreme eq apo (31band) bump in the 20-160hz range (8-10-12-13-12-10-8-6-3-1db, -10db preamp)) sound much more alive and closer to the X2s did, more fun. More low end presence. (Some will split hairs about this EQ lmao) but I dont know, vocals remain clear so does the midrange and low end just becomes present, you can "feel" the strokes on your ears in say ASMR videos and so on. Doesnt happen with these X3s.

Main problem I have though is the: Comfort. Does the headband relax? Tilting my head forwards or back and the headphones (drivers) move upwards on my head so I have to literally push them back down. Also they clamp hard as fu.. my glasses leave marks behind my ears and it become sore. Never had this issue with the X2s when they were fresh out the box. They felt comfy from the get go. Idk why these sit so hard. The pads also feel harder, I guess its because its memoryfoam instead of what the previous ones used?
Oh and the headband feels way harder and not as comfy as the X2s did.Its like theres no padding in it, just leather.

Actually
When I push the headphones closer to the ears, bass becomes more present and they sound more fun and similar to the X2s. But they go back to X3 sounding once I let go.

I really wish these were the successors (continuation maybe?) to the X2s but it seems they're a completely different set of headphones.
The X2s cant be bought in Sweden and the X2HR are €300, the X2s when I bought them were €150..The X3s were cheaper than the X2HRs by €100 during blackweek.
It makes no sense.

I believe the STX II has 10 ohm output impedance.

If you have a device, such as a decent smartphone, that has lower output impedance, you might try them with that and see what you think. It's not going to increase the bass. But you might find that the bass is tighter.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,343 of 1,964

Actually

It makes no sense.

My first though when I read this was: have you tried listening without your glasses? It could be the arms are preventing the earpads from making a good seal. Bad seal, bad bass.
Also, after some time the earpads may soften a bit and help them seal better too. IIRC the pads on my X2 softened up nicely after a few weeks - I don't recall if it made a difference to the sound however.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #1,344 of 1,964
My first though when I read this was: have you tried listening without your glasses? It could be the arms are preventing the earpads from making a good seal. Bad seal, bad bass.
Also, after some time the earpads may soften a bit and help them seal better too. IIRC the pads on my X2 softened up nicely after a few weeks - I don't recall if it made a difference to the sound however.
If he listens to the x2 and the x3 with glasses, wouldn't the seal be broken on the x2 as well?

The overlaid comparison graph on rtings shows the x3 as having less bass than the x2
Numerous people have also commented that they perceive the x3s as less bassy.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,345 of 1,964
If he listens to the x2 and the x3 with glasses, wouldn't the seal be broken on the x2 as well?

The overlaid comparison graph on rtings shows the x3 as having less bass than the x2
Numerous people have also commented that they perceive the x3s as less bassy.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It really would depend on the density of the foam and such. Assuming his X2 has plenty of use, the foam in the pads could have softened making the seal less of an issue.
Just something to ponder…

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,346 of 1,964
I believe the STX II has 10 ohm output impedance.

If you have a device, such as a decent smartphone, that has lower output impedance, you might try them with that and see what you think. It's not going to increase the bass. But you might find that the bass is tighter.

My phones an old S7 Edge, it sounds like doodoo no matter what headphones I plug into them

I did, theres no difference in the sound at all. The seal is "fine" with and without. If anything it feels like the back part of the headphones, thats behind the hear is more like slightly hovering with and without the glasses. Either way, there sno difference with and without glasses in terms of sound. Only thing that does is pushing the headphones in with my hands. It sucks the headphones dont also swivel slightly to take into account different heads.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #1,347 of 1,964
My phones an old S7 Edge, it sounds like doodoo no matter what headphones I plug into them

I did, theres no difference in the sound at all. The seal is "fine" with and without. If anything it feels like the back part of the headphones, thats behind the hear is more like slightly hovering with and without the glasses. Either way, there sno difference with and without glasses in terms of sound. Only thing that does is pushing the headphones in with my hands. It sucks the headphones dont also swivel slightly to take into account different heads.

Get a EarStudio ES100 or Qudelix 5K. Problem solved!

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,349 of 1,964

Users who are viewing this thread

Back