Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #542 of 1,964
Bright is a pretty useless term as it's relative. For example, every other headphone is deemed as bright to an HD650/HD6XX fanboy. lol
True, it's all relative. Like that coffee/sugar analogy.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #545 of 1,964
@Mink It's now €266

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #546 of 1,964
I am the most treble-sensitive/averse headphone person you're likely to find. I always disliked & avoided 2-channel audio that was bright, edgy, w/amped-up treble. And now, due to frequent migraines & tinnitus, I'm even more sensitive to it.

But I just don't hear sibilant s's/t's w/the X2. Treble doesn't sound notably uneven to me at any reasonable volume. It's not the highest resolution HP I've heard, but it's also not edgy at all.

I suspect that all along, Philips has had QC issues with this headphone. Those issues were quite dramatic 4-5 years ago, to the point that the headphones got pulled from Amazon due to a near-scandal over QC (many people hated the headphones & returned them). I lucked out to an extreme: bought a new (unopened box) pair on Ebay. Loved that sound from the 1st minute. I must have gotten a perfect pair. But who knows how many imperfect pairs were floating around?

Also suspect that Philips tweaked the sound of this HP in the "HR" iteration--if not an actual driver change, certainly a pad change that had the same effect.

(just guesses to explain the continuing diversity of reactions I read hear about the voicing/tonality of the X2s)

You know, this is how I got into the X2's to begin with. I bought them Due to suggestions made by others... Didn't feel like it was it, let's make this shorter anyway... Put the X2's in the box of lost hopes and dreams. Years later, got the RME ADI 2 Dac, pulled out all my headphones. LCD2C sounded epic and I blasted them way to loud, which irritated the crap out of my ears. After that I was migraine-y, don't know why I get them, but it happens, it wasn't bad, just annoying. And so... All my headphones were out... I cut my hair and all my headphones were uncomfortable, I had a migraine and my ears couldn't handle treble... Kept rotating the headphones at lower volume and just kept defaulting to the X2's Every time, without fail. They are comfortable, they sound great even on low volume. I love how the bass still rumble on low volume. And they just don't annoy me in any particular way. I don't know why I didn't like them at first... People don't read, but Either Brain burn-in or the headphones got better... Don't care! I love 'em!

Back to topic anyway. Kinda right now just waiting to hear opinions for it really. I want to know if BASS! Rumbles at low volume, pretty much. I'm quite attached to my X2's and it single ended cable. :p

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #548 of 1,964
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #549 of 1,964
Sep 3, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #550 of 1,964
The reviewer gotta be kidding... Really, if some idiot really thinks ANC and bluetooth must be for open-back headphones, I'd search for other much better and serious reviews.

Well, and the only comparison was the XM4. Apparently, someone only had Bluetooth headphone experience.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #551 of 1,964
Well, and the only comparison was the XM4. Apparently, someone only had Bluetooth headphone experience.
Wow, next level stupidness. I didn't know about the comparison was the XM4 untill you mention it. If anyone really wants ANC because reason, I'm pretty sure the XM3/4 will suits him/her perfectly. Such a lame review, what a waste.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #552 of 1,964
The reviewer gotta be kidding... Really, if some idiot really thinks ANC and bluetooth must be for open-back headphones, I'd search for other much better and serious reviews.
"Sensational sound". I think I never reviewed any of my headphones as "sensational" sounding, this would only apply to top of the line headphones, pairs I never auditioned. But apparently "sensational sound" for only 350 bucks is not enough for this 'tech expert' to warrant it true greatness. LOL

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #553 of 1,964
"Sensational sound". I think I never reviewed any of my headphones as "sensational" sounding, this would only apply to top of the line headphones, pairs I never auditioned. But apparently "sensational sound" for only 350 bucks is not enough for this 'tech expert' to warrant it true greatness. LOL
You gotta love such reviewers :joy:

I have been a technology writer and editor for more than 20 years. I was assistant editor of The Sunday Times’ technology section, editor of PC Pro magazine

What...? He should've know you must join the dark secret society to learn black magic so ANC, bluetooth and "light weight" will be a reality for open-back.

And this:
The X3s just aren’t luxurious enough to qualify for business class and their lack of flexibility – no Bluetooth, no noise cancellation, not lightweight enough for travel – makes them a niche product.

Not sure if reviewer is trolling or just stupid.

It's as bad as youtubers only doing "unboxing and first looks".

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #554 of 1,964
The sound is actually quite sensational when connecting the X3 to a Dragonfly Cobalt! I simply love it!

Got the Cobalt for €208, and have to say that was a good buy. More than enough power to drive the X3, and it sounds very good even with an adapter on my (old) iPhone X.

(Even the Sony MDR-EX650AP (€25), the only wired in-ear I have, (use it with the PS4 controller) sound amazing with the Cobalt on the iPhone. :) )

Think I've been listening to the new Melody Gardot / Sting track on Tidal Hifi (MQA) 10 times in a row now. The X3's are so crisp, detailed, punchy, wide soundstage (and all the other clichès). But I have to mention the mids and vocals. Soo beautiful.

Edit: I've been, and will be, mostly using the Cobalt with the X3's on my HTPC, not the iPhone.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #555 of 1,964
Very curious about the X3. I love my X2, would love to see a good comparison if it's worth it to spend 258,- euro's.
Currently using an Ibasso DX80 and HeadBoxII amp for the X2. The X2 sounds also good directly out of the DX80, I hope the X3 will too (or I have to switch sooner than anticipated to the DX160, making the whole exercise rather expensive. I don't want to sleep on the couch (again). :deadhorse:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back