Philips Fidelio X2?
Sep 17, 2016 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TRANCEJUNKIE

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have been searching for a pair of over ear headphones for ages. I have read countless reviews but have the issue of not being able to audition some products. I listen to EDM and Electronica and currently have a Fiio X1 DAP, E11K Amp and Koss Porta Pro Headphones. I bought a pair of DT770 Pro 80 ohm headphones for listening at home, but I kept reaching for the Porta Pros as I felt the Beyers lacked something. I think it was the recessed mids. I have tried the HD600, HD650 which I felt were lacking, and I found the AKG range detailed but bright.

Can anyone recommend a pair of 'over ears' that would be suitable for my music tastes up to £250? I would like to keep the Porta Pro sound as I love the warmth, mid range and punchy bass, but would like an improvement in sound to justify thr cost. In all my research, I understand the Fidelio X2 or V Moda Crossfade would be the most suitable upgrade? I am not bothered if the cans are opene or closed and would be particularly interested to hear from pevious Porta Pro owners who have upgraded for this type of music.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 4
If you like the PortaPro and thought the HD650 were lacking, your safest upgrade path is the Grado RS1 or RS2. Best save up for that. Just note that the isolation on these is basically non-existent, so use them at home.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 4
When you say lacking what is it that was lacking?

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 4
I think the bass was a bit week and they didn't get me engaged. I am not disputing that they are not good headphones, but not for me. I think it is a fun sound I am after, and thats what I get from the Porta pro. I like impact in the bass with a good midrange which I feel suits my type of music. From what I have read the X2 provides this with good soundstage, hence why I would love to hear from someone who has hear both. Thanks for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back