Philips Fidelio X2 or Beats Studio 2
Jul 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

svalentine

New Head-Fier
I know it looks like an odd comparison, but here goes. Some background I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I will mostly use on my computer. I listen to a lot of hiphop/r&b/trance/pop and some rock as well. I love bass response, but not to the point where it starts to sound muddy.

From what I've read it seems like the x2 has some excellent bass response for the music type I listen to and of course the studios are known for that type of music as well. Since the beats products have drastically improved from the previous generation, and the price point is roughly the same, which head phone do you think is better in terms of sound?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 7
These are very different headphones. Overall, I'd say the Fidelio X2 has the better sound, but it will lack some sub-bass.

The Beats Solo 2 are the only beats I'd recommend to anyone, but they fairly bass heavy. It's a closed on-ear design, so the soundstage (sense of space) will be clearly smaller than with the X2. The sound of the Solo 2 is very coloured and it really depends on your personal preference whether you like heavier bass or not. Try finding a store where you can listen to them.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
The X2 is an excellent headphone. You're venturing into HD600/650 territory there, though with the X2 trading some mid/upper level refinement for extra bass response.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Yup, the solo 2 is the only good beats. Especcially for his 140€ price her ein germany~. (see Innerfidelity review).
He was also disappointed of the Studio 2, and i would not buy it. Directly compared to the Fidelio X2 is like day and night. The Studio feels like a cheap plastic toy, that fell off a McDonalds kids menu. While the X2 is build with a really high quality, and good materials. It's soundquality is also by far superior.
But again: The studio is closed, and made for mobile usage, the X2 is for Home-listening ONLY, because its OPEN.

What do you want? Open design, or closed? For home, or mobile?

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 7
I know it looks like an odd comparison, but here goes. Some background I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I will mostly use on my computer. I listen to a lot of hiphop/r&b/trance/pop and some rock as well. I love bass response, but not to the point where it starts to sound muddy.

From what I've read it seems like the x2 has some excellent bass response for the music type I listen to and of course the studios are known for that type of music as well. Since the beats products have drastically improved from the previous generation, and the price point is roughly the same, which head phone do you think is better in terms of sound?

Thanks!

They're both good, the X2 is a big open headphone for home use and is awesome for movies and gaming as well, the beats has sexy sub bass and is gonna be portable and you can use it everywhere you go but for extended listening the X2 is just much more comfortable. I think for your genres and given that you like bass you could save money and get the X1, still an awesome headphone that I use every day.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 7
  The X2 is an excellent headphone. You're venturing into HD600/650 territory there, though with the X2 trading some mid/upper level refinement for extra bass response.

This exactly, although don't take extra bass to mean "basshead" OP.  It's elevated but not exaggerated, the Beats WILL BE exaggerated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back