Philips Fidelio X2 or AKG K7XX for Multimedia Use - How to Improve TV Audio?
Oct 19, 2015 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AngryGoldfish

100+ Head-Fier
Rather frustratingly, I am reposting this as for some reason my initial post did not upload. Maybe the moderators have it set it so that any "vs" threads are disallowed.

I recently broke my AKG K550's. Whilst I am hoping to replace/repair the 3.5mm jack, I thought now would be an opportune time to upgrade, something I had always intended on doing. I have two choices at the moment. One is the Philips Fidelio X2 with the NFB-15 to replace my onboard audio. This will be used for listening to music, watching films, and playing video games on my PC. The X2's would also be used with my television watching films/TV in another room. The X2's are €400 from Amazon.

My second choice is the Massdrop AKG K7XX headphones for €250 (including import duties and shipping), which will be ending very soon. However, this option might demand another headphone amplifier for my television, which I'm not sure is possible. How does one improve the headphone audio from a basic HD television set? My particular Samsung TV has a digital optical out, headphone out, and left and right RCA inputs. Can any of these be used with an amplifier (such as E10K) to power a more demanding pair of headphones and improve audio quality? I have taken a quick photo with my phone of the inputs/outputs in case of confusion.

As far as sound quality is concerned, I highly doubt I'd displeased with either the X2's or the AKG's. However, what I'm used to and generally prefer is a slightly leaner and clearer sound, rather than a booming and explosive sound. This makes me lean towards the AKG's. Whilst I do play FPS titles on my PC, I am not highly competitive and am aiming for a balance of fun/immersion and detail/accuracy. I listen to a wide variety of music, from Hip-Hop to Classical to Heavy Metal to Folk. I will be using the headphones with my PC until I purchase the NFB-15 and Audio-GB ship it out to me from out East. I don't want another set of K550's as I am really quite fond of the broken ones I have now. I really hope I can repair them. Also, I want a removable audio cable, which rules out the K553 Massdrop that is going on right now.

To summarize:

Philips Fidelio X2 (€400)

Pros - Immediate availability, easy to power

Cons - More expensive

vs...

AKG K7XX (€250)

Pros - Better value for money, more accurate soundstage

Cons - May require additional power for my television, needs to be imported from the US to Ireland

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 9
Is the TV near the NFB-15? You could run optical into that and use either headphones. If not, there's cheap optical DACs (Schiit Modi 1), then add an amp of your choice.

The K7XX should be pretty similar to the K550 overall, just better in every way :p.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 9
  Is the TV near the NFB-15? You could run optical into that and use either headphones. If not, there's cheap optical DACs (Schiit Modi 1), then add an amp of your choice.

The K7XX should be pretty similar to the K550 overall, just better in every way :p.

Sadly, no. The desktop PC is on a different floor of the house to the television.

The Modi Uber was one I found, yeah, but with a decent amp it's quite a pricey option. I noticed the Audioengine D1 had a digital input. I know the Audioengine products aren't exactly the most loved by everyone, but €179 in a compact package is better value than a Modi Uber and Magni at over €300 when you factor in shipping and import duties. That's basically the same price as an NFB-15. I know I could pick up a cheaper amp to go with the Modi, but I'd only be saving a little. It might be worth trying to find a second-hand Modi/Magni that has the digital input.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 9
The Modi 2 has the same DAC section as the 1. The 1 had a version that was optical only... I'd look for a used one of those (hopefulyy around $70). Then add an amp of  your choice. Idk any other optical DACs that are as safe of a bet as the Modi.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 9
  The Modi 2 has the same DAC section as the 1. The 1 had a version that was optical only... I'd look for a used one of those (hopefulyy around $70). Then add an amp of  your choice. Idk any other optical DACs that are as safe of a bet as the Modi.

I didn't know the first version had an optical in. I'll definitely keep my eye out for that one, as well as a used Magni. Cheers for that.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Ya, it's a special optical version. So they're either USB or optical, not both.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 9
The K7XX near the HD650? Hmmm... not so sure. The K550 is very near the Q701 from my audition (also done next to an HD650), and the K7XX just has a little more bass than the Q701. Our ears must hear mid-treble differently.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 9
The K7XX near the HD650? Hmmm... not so sure. The K550 is very near the Q701 from my audition (also done next to an HD650), and the K7XX just has a little more bass than the Q701. Our ears must hear mid-treble differently.

I own these headphones. The K550 is closer tonally to the Q701, which doesn't resemble the warm presentation of the K7XX, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back