Philips Fidelio X2 making cracking popping sounds!?
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MROOD

New Head-Fier
Hi

I bought a paor of Philips Fidelio X2 headphones, brand new

Listening to them this weekend they sound good, like my HD650s however when ever I turn up the bass, there is an awful vibrating crack, popping sound, mostly from the left earcup, if i squeeze the cans against my ears tight then the crack/pop noise disapears

Basically when I turn the volume to high and increase the bass via the EQ I get that heavy distortion cracking/popping sound, I have to lower the bass for it to disappear, its like the drivers cannot handle the bass!

I thought it was the driver membrane touching the inside of the headphone, or a case of trapped dirt ext

If I connect my beyers 990/ Amirons and my HD650 on the same source same music I do NOT get distortion or that terrible cracking noise.

Im thinking Ive got a poorly manufactured headphone or faulty one?

Or is it the Fidelios just cannot handle high volume tracks with a bit of bass?

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 10
I think it is a problem with some x2, because with mine X2 the right driver is working normal. Only the left side have problems.

that is correct, there are faulty ones out there that create terrible sounds when low frequencies are played, I initially exchanged and then refunded, if you manage to get a working pair then they are fantastic cans, have a look at the label to see who made them Woox or Gibson, Phillips changed the manufacturer and they were not built like the originals, ie cheap glue and parts, a very subjective topic.

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 10
that is correct, there are faulty ones out there that create terrible sounds when low frequencies are played, I initially exchanged and then refunded, if you manage to get a working pair then they are fantastic cans, have a look at the label to see who made them Woox or Gibson, Phillips changed the manufacturer and they were not built like the originals, ie cheap glue and parts, a very subjective topic.

The one I have is the X2HR version. I think all the new X2 are Gibson now, didn't it?

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Sorry. I know this thread is old, but it is the only thing that pops up on Google when you search for this issue and I want to help anyone else who runs into this issue. I recently got an X2HR and had the same problem. I've gone through 2 of them from Amazon, and they both did the same thing. There is a reddit user who also had the same problem with 2 of them. At this point I can only imagine that pretty much every (if not all) pair of these headphones has this issue if what you're plugging it into has enough power. I had a VERY similar issue with my X1's. I thought I had a lemon, but maybe I didn't. The good news is it definitely went away after about a year or so of using the X1's. So maybe if you keep the volume low enough for a while the issue will fix itself in the X2's as well. It SEEMs like this may be the case since when they were new it happened at around volume 85, and now I need to go to volume 90 for it to start (I'm using a 40hz sound file on a SoundBlasterZ sound card to test this). I will try to update this if this thread is still around and it does indeed fix itself.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Sorry. I know this thread is old, but it is the only thing that pops up on Google when you search for this issue and I want to help anyone else who runs into this issue. I recently got an X2HR and had the same problem. I've gone through 2 of them from Amazon, and they both did the same thing. There is a reddit user who also had the same problem with 2 of them. At this point I can only imagine that pretty much every (if not all) pair of these headphones has this issue if what you're plugging it into has enough power. I had a VERY similar issue with my X1's. I thought I had a lemon, but maybe I didn't. The good news is it definitely went away after about a year or so of using the X1's. So maybe if you keep the volume low enough for a while the issue will fix itself in the X2's as well. It SEEMs like this may be the case since when they were new it happened at around volume 85, and now I need to go to volume 90 for it to start (I'm using a 40hz sound file on a SoundBlasterZ sound card to test this). I will try to update this if this thread is still around and it does indeed fix itself.

I returned my faulty X2 and the second one I bought was normal. I'm using it since 2018 and it is perfect.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 10
I returned my faulty X2 and the second one I bought was normal. I'm using it since 2018 and it is perfect.
Dang. I'm really confused then. The guy on Reddit had the same problem as me on 2 them just like me. (He has a SoundBlaster Z as well). Thanks for the info. I won't find a better headphone for $100 so I'll just keep it and hope it gets better after a while like my X1 did. I lowered the max volume on Equalizer APO so it's not THAT big of a deal, but it just sucks I can't increase the bass at all.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Dang. I'm really confused then. The guy on Reddit had the same problem as me on 2 them just like me. (He has a SoundBlaster Z as well). Thanks for the info. I won't find a better headphone for $100 so I'll just keep it and hope it gets better after a while like my X1 did. I lowered the max volume on Equalizer APO so it's not THAT big of a deal, but it just sucks I can't increase the bass at all.

Can't you keep returning it until you have one without this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back