Philips Fidelio X2, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and AKG K612 PRO Reference
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Donnyboy98

100+ Head-Fier
If anyone can explain these headphones such as "the DT 990 pro is a bass heavy headphone which wouldnt be as good for gaming" or "the AKG has the bigger earcups which will be better for long gaming periods" for example, just to make my mind up.

Thanks for all the feedback and help!

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 12
I couldn't begin to answer your question, as I'm completely new to this, but I'm in a very similar position myself!

I would heartily recommend checking out Mad Lust Envy's excellent thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added

He has detailed reviews on the DT990 (pro and premium) and the K612.  The X2 isn't there (yet) but he has reviewed the X1.  Aside from the reviews, there's lots of really helpful and knowledgeable folk who monitor the thread and will definitely be able to help you out.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 12
I own the DT990 Pro and it beats all the other headphones or headsets out there which are marketed towards gaming, like Razer, Steelseries, etc. I guess the DT990 will be better than the K612 since it has more bass and will be well-suited for gaming and watching movies (for explosions and stuffs). As for the X2, I don't know anything about it.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 12
Im just going off jacksepticeye and barnacules nerdgasm as they both know their stuff about audio and play alot of games. Jack ( real name sean) had the dt 990 pro which had a buzzing in 1 side so he got the philips fidelio x1 but i found out that there is a newer version the x2 which supposedly better.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 12
FWIW I've just plumped for the K612. I would have liked to have bought the X2, but it's £130 more than the K612, which I picked up for £100. I may upgrade to the X2 one day if I feel the need, but right now think the K612 will be perfect.

The DT990 has a better sound stage I believe, but also a v-shaped sound signature with both bass and treble boosted. I've read the latter can be quite fatiguing which put me off. The pro version has a higher clamping force than the premium one, which might be an issue if your ears aren't completely enveloped by the pads. It also further emphasises the bass, which, according to some, can muddy both the bass and mids to a degree.

The AKG does have slightly pronounced bass (in comparison with other AKG models like the K701) and loses a tiny bit of the clarity the more expensive AKG sets have. For me, a slight bass bump was good, especially as it doesn't impact the rest of the sound. Also, the comfort of the K612 is generally agreed as being excellent, which is very important to me. Overall I felt it gave the best bang for my buck!

The advantages the X2 has are a general improvement in sound across all areas, from bass to treble, removable cables and the fact they're much easier to drive.

Er bear in mind though that all the above is in my (extremely unqualified) opinion! The link I posted is still probably your best bet.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 12
I wouldn't say the X2 are great gaming headphones. They are probably fantastic for music purposes. Why wouldn't you just get a pair of dedicated gaming headphones if that's all you want them for? I know that Beyerdynamic do a really nice pair for around £200 -£250. It's just a thought if you're only using them for gaming.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 12
I wouldn't say the X2 are great gaming headphones. They are probably fantastic for music purposes. Why wouldn't you just get a pair of dedicated gaming headphones if that's all you want them for? I know that Beyerdynamic do a really nice pair for around £200 -£250. It's just a thought if you're only using them for gaming.

Gaming headphones are awful they sound worse than my Bose headphones I have now.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Fair enough. I would look at Beyerdynamic headphones then, out of the headphones you mentioned i would be leaning more towards the DT 990 Pro. The DT 770 Pro stick out in my mind for being a decent gaming pair if you was open to other options. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 12
Fair enough. I would look at Beyerdynamic headphones then, out of the headphones you mentioned i would be leaning more towards the DT 990 Pro. The DT 770 Pro stick out in my mind for being a decent gaming pair if you was open to other options. 

I've been looking at the HiFiMAN HE-500 and 400 but I will only get the HE-500 of they go down to $500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back