Philips Fidelio X1, X2 or other open back with some bass
Jun 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ngs428

500+ Head-Fier
I currently use a FiiO X3 2nd Gen with my Grado 325e and Audio Technica ATH-A900X.  While I like these combos, like most, I am looking for the next best thing.  On my FiiO I am using 16/44.1 and 24/96 FLAC files.  I mainly listen to Rock/Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Beatles, etc,) and Alternative Rock (90's Rock Bands).  Budget around $150 to 250.

I am looking for an open can with enhanced bass and a "fun" sound.  I would like more bass than my 325e has.  Bass and the open design don't come hand in hand too often, which is what lead me to the X1 and X2.  Per the reviews, the X1 seems to have more bass than the X2.  The X2 seems to have other upgrades over the X1, but it seems that the more "fun" sound can be had on the X1.  I am looking for a "fun" sound, not necessarily an audiophile accurate sound.

I also considered the DT 770 and DT990 pros 250 ohm, but did not want an amp.  I know there is a 32 ohm version of the 770, but heard it may be more difficult to drive and may not be as good bass wise as the X1.  

Reviews comparing the X1 to the X2 make the X1 sound like it is is a poor headphone.  I suppose it is all what you are looking for.

Thoughts on the direction I could go?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back