Philips 963SA vs smART DI/O - Quick 1st Impressions
Apr 13, 2003 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fox_m_a

New Head-Fier
A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had compared the Philips 963SA to the smART DI/O.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a 963 from J&R for the $360 price and am in the process of making that comparison myself. I replaced the power cord with a more substantial shielded model from Volex, which improved things right away. My listening this far has been with the 96K upsampling switched on.

After only 12 hours of burn-in, the Philips is starting to acquit itself quite nicely on CD in my system:

Dan Wright modified Pioneer 343 (transport)
Bolder Cables Digital IC
smART DI/O (bolder modified, including Bolder power supply)
Bolder type 2 IC
Conrad Johnson PV-12 pre
Nordost Blue Heaven IC
Conrad Johnson heavily modified MV75A-1 amp (6550C tubes)
Analysis Plus Oval 9
Sound Dynamic 300Ti speakers

My system is to the mellow side of accurate - always musical, with great imaging. I've gotten very used to the sound of the smART DI/O in my system - always musical, mellow sounding, good imaging, with prestigious bass.

This is by no means intended as a full review, only my first impressions.

Music used:
Linda Thompson - Fashionably Late
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space
Clifford Brown - Pacific Jazz recordings

The smART DI/O has much better bass - fuller, more extended than the 963, which is the major fault of the 963 in my system. The 963 has a cleaner and more extended treble and, in my system, sounds slightly "thinner". The 963 also images a bit better than the DI/O - more clearly defined images, slightly wider soundstage, but also slightly shallower stage depth.

I need to readjust my ears to the sound of the 963 - the slight thinnness I hear may be more accurate than the mellow sound of the DI/O, which might be too much in my already mellow system. As the 963 burns in, I'm hoping that the bass will improve somewhat - again, I find this to be the major flaw of the 963. Which do I like better in my system? I don't know yet - I LOVE the bass from the DI/O, but the treble of the 963 is sweet. I'm going to keep both for a while and see which I prefer in the long run.

I'm looking forward to hearing SACD in my system - I'm hoping that it will narrow the gap between vinyl and digital (Vinyl rig: Teres 135 table, RS Labs RS-A1 tonearm, Denon DL103-D, Denon AU320 step-up). I also think that once the modifiers work up a package for the 963, it will become a better machine. I believe that the power supply is one of the weak points of the unit, and my experience has been that a beefier power supply will improve the bass.

I'll update my impressions as the unit burns in, and after I receive the SACDs that I've ordered.

Apr 14, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 3
The bass does improve during and after burn-in but it's never gonna be that super hard hitting bass.The low end is very tight and focused however and snare drums sound incredible.If you like the way the 963 sounds with redbook, wait until you try it with SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back