Phiaton 200 or Audio Technica ATHCK7?
Apr 15, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SOLIDOPS

New Head-Fier
Which would you buy?

The Phiaton is $144 with shipping, and the ATHCK7 is $110 with shipping. 

I'm mainly looking for durability, and since the AT's are made out of titanium, they should be pretty durable. However, according to a Head-fi search, the Phiaton is pretty durable too.

The Phiatons look better to me, but in the end I'm looking for something durable, and I can't decide between the two. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 8
Personally, i haven't heard the PS200s but i am assuming that they should sound alot better than the CK7 (going by Phiaton's pretty excellent track record so far).
Firstly, we have to remember that CK7 is a very old design and it was released circa late 2005.
That was a period of time when the earbud scene was pretty dead, the only promising products in the earbud scene were AT's own cm7, cm700, Sony's e888
and a new relatively unknown earbud called the PK1 produced by a chinese company called Yuin.
On the IEM side of things, BAs were just starting to pick up momentum.
Etymotic being around for the longest time was a natural choice for most people wanting serious sound, Shure had just started about a year ago with its E2c, E3c. The first dual BA E5c flagship was just released. Even the E500s were not out then. Westone's own um1 was still months away from release.... You get the picture.
When CK7 came onto the scene with it's exotic titanium housing and 11mm dynamic drivers (most dynamics at the time were 9mm and below),
it was a breathe of fresh air.
Alas, 5 years + is a long time for any IEM to be on the market, and the quality that dynamic IEMs are putting out these days really do surpass the SQ of the CK7.
However, if you're looking for a casual commuting IEM and don't mind a V-shaped frequency response,
CK7 is still one of the best isolating dynamic IEM around.
Quality and attention to detail in its price range is still outstanding by today's standard.
So, in the end, it boils down to what your needs are.
I have taken some pics of my CK7 (mine's the much later version which is dark nikel plated) next to my CK100, hope it helps.

CK100 (left), CK7 (right)
Cable of CK7 has a slight rubbery feel to it like the CK100. CK7's cable is of good quality and is not prone to memory effect or microphonics. Chin slider is a simple plastic tube affair like the CK100 but it serves it purpose fine.

Strain relief on exit to housing is softer and thus better on CK7 than it is on CK100. Notice how the words ATH-CK7 and Japan are embossed on the bezel sorrounding the nozzle. Very nice attention to detail in my opinion.

CK7 by itself
UE single flange tips work best to bring out the recessed vocals on my CK7.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 8
The PS200 hits way above it's price point at current market price. Even at full retail these are superb IEM's and are definitely top tier earphones. Wouldn't even think twice if you enjoy a bright detailed sound. These phones do like some decent power though. And I am still waiting to hear direct comparisons between the dba2 and b2. Oh and the newly released dba4.

Man my wallet hurts...:)

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Personally, i haven't heard the PS200s but i am assuming that they should sound alot better than the CK7 (going by Phiaton's pretty excellent track record so far).
Firstly, we have to remember that CK7 is a very old design and it was released circa late 2005.
That was a period of time when the earbud scene was pretty dead, the only promising products in the earbud scene were AT's own cm7, cm700, Sony's e888
and a new relatively unknown earbud called the PK1 produced by a chinese company called Yuin.
On the IEM side of things, BAs were just starting to pick up momentum.
Etymotic being around for the longest time was a natural choice for most people wanting serious sound, Shure had just started about a year ago with its E2c, E3c. The first dual BA E4c flagship was just released. Even the E500s were not out then. Westone's own um1 was still months away from release.... You get the picture.
When CK7 came onto the scene with it's exotic titanium housing and 11mm dynamic drivers (most dynamics at the time were 9mm and below),
it was a breathe of fresh air.
Alas, 5 years + is a long time for any IEM to be on the market, and the quality that dynamic IEMs are putting out these days really do surpass the SQ of the CK7.
However, if you're looking for a casual commuting IEM and don't mind a V-shaped frequency response,
CK7 is still one of the best isolating dynamic IEM around.
Quality and attention to detail in its price range is still outstanding by today's standard.
So, in the end, it boils down to what your needs are.
I have taken some pics of my CK7 (mine's the much later version which is dark nikel plated) next to my CK100, hope it helps.

Cable of CK7 has a slight rubbery feel to it like the CK100. CK7's cable is of good quality and is not prone to memory effect or microphonics. Chin slider is a simple plastic tube affair like the CK100 but it serves it purpose fine.

Strain relief on exit to housing is softer and thus better on CK7 than it is on CK100. Notice how the words ATH-CK7 and Japan are embossed on the bezel sorrounding the nozzle. Very nice attention to detail in my opinion.

CK7 by itself
UE single flange tips work best to bring out the recessed vocals on my CK7.

Thank you for your detailed input, I did not know that the CK7s were 5 years old...must be a pretty good pair then. I'm leaning more towards the Phiaton, due to the eye-catching design and handy case, but Audio Technica has an excellent reputation even more a newbie like me.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 8
The CK7 is durable, and it sounds good.  I've used it for a few years and had no problems, but I am pretty careful with my gear.  I did have to modify the tips with cotton in order to get a good, firm seal.  If I did not do this, the CK7 base was thin.  With the modification, they sound GREAT!

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Yes, thx for pointing out the mistake, it was meant to be the E5c. Edited the mistake.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Just replaced my modified CK7 tips with Comply tips with the wax guard feature.  Sound with the Comply tips is just as good, and the isolation seems much better.  Not having to worry about the cotton I had stuffed into the modified tips falling out = priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back