Phew - they really ARE better!
May 1, 2003 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AdamP88

500+ Head-Fier
I finally gave in last week and ordered a Cardas cable for my HD580. It arrived on Monday, and I immediately hooked it up and did a comparison right out of the bag with the stock cable. What I heard was very troubling. Not much difference at all! The Cardas might have had slightly more bass definition and a tiny bit more treble extension, but I really couldn't hear much of an appreciable difference between the two cables.

Fearing I'd just blown $140, I left the cd changer on repeat shuffle and left for work. 10 hours later I came home, immediately put on the headphones, and immediately thought "well this sounds a helluva lot better!" Out came the stock cable to determine whether this was placebo effect or the real deal. And yes indeed - I now clearly preferred the Cardas. The bass in particular was both more solid and articulate, and overall the sound seemed more 'fleshed out' and seamless. In fact I stayed up till the wee small hours of the morning listening to music and swapping cables to compare, but pretty soon the stock cable lay forgotten while I sat back and enjoyed the music.

Since then the Cardas probably has around 35 hours of playing time (~25 of those off my head), and I have to say that I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase now. Every positive aspect of the 580s stock sound has been refined, and most of the problems have been addressed, including a few problems I really wasn't too aware of! The soundstage is more cohesive and believable, with a better sense of space around the instruments, and as before, voices and instruments have more weight and body, contributing to a more three dimensional presentation of the music. The treble is more detailed and at the same time smoother than stock (much of the 'grain' has been removed), the midrange is noticeably cleaner and doesn't sound as thick (congested?) as the stock, while still retaining that wonderful warmth I love in the 580s. The bass has really got my foot tapping lately - it's quite solid and much, much more detailed than the stock cable. That was perhaps my biggest complaint with the stock sound, the bass while not overpowering compared to the rest of the spectrum, was noticeably bloated and lacking in definition (relatively speaking, of course).

So now I've got some definite proof that cables can make a big difference, and that burn in really does work! I can't wait until the Gilmore arrives now!
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2003 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 15
I recently had a similar experience with my Equinox cables that arrived two days ago. I put them in right off, and noticed only slight changes, mostly in detail and treble. However, after running them for a couple of days now, the difference is incredible! The entire audible spectrum is noticably improved, along with much more abstract qualities such as "air", "soundstage" and just overall realism.

This strikes me as odd because I bought this cable used. I have heard stories about new break-in for a new system, but I guess I wasn't really a believer. Whatever the explanation (perhaps partly placebo), I'm loving my Equinox now
wink.gif

-dd3mon

May 1, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 15
AdamP88,

You've summarized nicely my own experience with the Cardas cable. I'd have to say that it is one of the most significant upgrades I've done to my system. Probably the only upgrade more significant was tube-rolling my MG Head.

May 1, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 15
I totally agree with you. When I got my cable a week ago I quickly put it in place and fired up the system and I was underwhelmed. Then I let it burn for about 20+ hours and it had it was better. Now after 60 hours or so it is so much better then the stock cable.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a question-do you think the sound improvement is worth the cost of the cable? I'm not asking to be argumentative, but I'm curious because I just had to order a replacement cable for my Senn 600s and I couldn't justify to myself buying a cable that cost three-quarters of what I paid for the headphones. But I really love the sound of these headphones, if there was a substantial improvement I'd probably break down and buy a set.

May 1, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 15
I would have to say yes, thump. The level of improvement is almost up there with a source or amp upgrade. And you won't find many worthwhile source or amp upgrades for $150 or less.

I understand your concerns though. The only reason I waited this long was because I too was extremely skeptical that there would really be enough improvement to justify spending (in my case) more on the cable than I did on the headphone. I'm now extremely satisfied with the purchase. I loved the sound of my 580s before this purchase, but the Cardas cable has taken everything I loved about the sound and improved/refined it, and fixed pretty much all of my complaints. Does it make the 580 sound like a completely different phone? No, but I didn't want it to anyway. But it does make it noticeably more refined and balanced, and ultimately that translates to me forgetting about the sound characteristics and focusing on the music more.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Cardas to anyone looking for more enjoyment out of their system.

May 1, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Thump
I have a question-do you think the sound improvement is worth the cost of the cable?

The price is worth it IMO. However, it may be more cost effective to upgrade other things first. I couldn't tell if you just didn't fill out your profile or if your really don't have any other components. So, I can't comment on your particular system.

Changing the tubes on my MG Head was more significant than the Cardas cable. My current tube set cost about $80 for NOS tubes. So, in comparison to the Cardas cable tuberolling was more cost effective. But even given that I think the Cardas Cable is well worth the $150.

May 1, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I recently had a similar experience with my Equinox cables that arrived two days ago. I put them in right off, and noticed only slight changes, mostly in detail and treble. However, after running them for a couple of days now, the difference is incredible! The entire audible spectrum is noticably improved, along with much more abstract qualities such as "air", "soundstage" and just overall realism.

This strikes me as odd because I bought this cable used. I have heard stories about new break-in for a new system, but I guess I wasn't really a believer. Whatever the explanation (perhaps partly placebo), I'm loving my Equinox now
wink.gif

-dd3mon

It's possible that some of the "break-in" effects with used equipment like this, as well as with new equipment, involve a readjustment and retraining of a person's hearing. The physiological and psychological components that make up the process of hearing become more sensitive to the new sounds they're processing. This results in an increased awareness of the changed elements of sound quality. Sometimes the overall change is for the better, and of course sometimes for the worse.

That's why 30-day return policies are so nice.

May 3, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 15
damn you guys...

i just got my 580s and was very happy...
now I hear how much difference the cables will make and I want new cables now!
biggrin.gif

**must resist temptation**
**urge to buy rising**

May 3, 2003 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 15
FWIW, I upgraded both my amp (still waiting on the Gilmore V2 to arrive, but I know it's coming
biggrin.gif
) and source before considering the Cardas cables. If you feel your amp and source are up to snuff, go for the Cardas. If you've already been thinking of upgrading your source or amp, do that first.

May 26, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Thump
I have a question-do you think the sound improvement is worth the cost of the cable? I'm not asking to be argumentative, but I'm curious because I just had to order a replacement cable for my Senn 600s and I couldn't justify to myself buying a cable that cost three-quarters of what I paid for the headphones. But I really love the sound of these headphones, if there was a substantial improvement I'd probably break down and buy a set.

Yes.

May 26, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 15
SENN 600/580 TWEAKS
Yes the Senn 600/Cardas works very nice and is easily an improvement over stock cable (although an expensive tweak)

To hear a completely different sound I took my old Senn 580 replaced foam with nylon stocking and use Clou Blue cable, now has noticeably more aggressive/open sound vs relaxed Senn 600/Cardas. Before they sounded very similar to each other.......gives me some more inexpensive options.

I use the Senn 600/Cardas most often. but if a CD is dull/flat sounding the modified Senn 580/Clou Blue will open things up nicely.......like an audio turbo charger.

May 26, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 15
now that I've had a chance to listen to my 580s with upgraded cables - I have to agree with what has been said.

If you are listening to mid-fi (or lower) sources and amps you should probably spend the money upgrading those before you spend the money on cables.

I say this because I listened to my HD580s on the MG Head OTL Mark2 and Shanling T100 CD player at the ottawa meet and with the stock cables - they were quite boomy - and there was a significant lack of midrange and highs and everything sounded closed in...however swapping cables opened up everything but when I went home and listened through my PCDP and sblive through my CMOY and ratshack interconnects - everything sounded "fine".

That said, anyone who is planning on keeping the 580/600 should definitely put upgraded cables on their list of upgrades...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back