"Phantom of the Paradise" Who has seen this Rock/Horror Classic from 1974?
Jun 19, 2004 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AGR

100+ Head-Fier
phanfull.gif

I first saw it when it was released, and countless times since. I love this movie!!
biggrin.gif

http://www.briandepalma.net/phantom/phantom.htm

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 19
I saw this in 1976 at my University's Film Society Late Night six Film marathon, it was entartaining enough nonsense "Beef" was great !

Whatever happened to Paul Williams ?, I last saw him doing an episode
of Babylon 5 in the er mid 90s...

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I dunno, I couldn't stand this flick. Paul Williams always makes me reach for the Rolaids..

Is he still around???
Didn't he do 'Short people got no reason to live'?
Hollywood Squares-LOL

Anyway.
I loved it when I saw it! Keep in mind I was a kid and the sex/drugs/devil-soul/rock opera was very exciting to me watching it on TV late at night when my mother thought I was in bed!
icon10.gif

I had the LP. And who could forget 'DEATH RECORDS'
cool.gif

Ahead of it's time?

death_records.jpg

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 19
I saw it, but don't remember it, which speaks volumes. When it comes to Phantom stuff, I wish someone would make a movie of Susan Kay's book. To me that's the definitive Erik.

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I saw it, but don't remember it, which speaks volumes.

Alzheimer's???
wink.gif

No one said it was 'Citizen Kane'.
It's CAMP!!!
My 27 year old memories are those of a 12 year old and I have'nt seen it since.
Now I want to see it again and verify how good or bad it really is.

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 19
One of my all time favorate movie.
I first recognized Paul Williams as a writer/composer for several Carpenters songs back in 70's. Then I met this movie on late night TV, I loved it. I think I still have a video tape somewhere....

Jun 20, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Heheh, I know it's camp. That's cool. I just ment that for this particular story I prefer a movie that hasn't been made yet...probably never will be.

I do remember that I saw it, with some friends while watching bad movies on tape. We MST'd it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Now there's a show I miss! It will never be shown in Finland.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Alzheimer's???
wink.gif

No one said it was 'Citizen Kane'.
It's CAMP!!!
My 27 year old memories are those of a 12 year old and I have'nt seen it since.
Now I want to see it again and verify how good or bad it really is.

Jun 21, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 19
I remember it. I watched it on TV late at nigth, perhaps some 20 years ago. I remember I was "sick" from an overdose of medication, not something I meant to have, but I think mom didn't read my prescription well. I was unable to sleep for like 3 days. I watched it on my old B/W T.V. and liked it a lot, at least until the way too cheesy end. Perhaps I could have a different opiniont about it now, but that movie is really hard to find around here,

Jun 21, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Interesting movie. Very 70s freako...
wink.gif
I've seen it again only recently - as they replayed it on tv over here a few months ago...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 19
I think it's a fantastic movie! I saw it when it was released. I was in the Air Force stationed in Tucson, AZ. A bunch of us in the barracks went to the base theater, and had a blast!! Most of us went back the following night!

I have seen it many times since. Unfortunately; it didn't do well at the box office, whereas "Tommy" did. Oh well! It matters not! "Phantom of the Paradise" is a cool movie, with some really great music. The CD is tough to come by. I do have the vinyl, however.

Jun 21, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I saw it, but don't remember it, which speaks volumes. When it comes to Phantom stuff, I wish someone would make a movie of Susan Kay's book. To me that's the definitive Erik.

Same here. I saw it once but it wasn't good enough to get put into long term storage....
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 19
I must be like "The Ring". Like Onix, I also saw it when I was home sick. Nothing like a seeing a weird movie when you're ill. Really adds to the effect. And for some reason, I remember a song or two from it being pretty good. (or maybe I was really ill)

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I must be like "The Ring". Like Onix, I also saw it when I was home sick. Nothing like a seeing a weird movie when you're ill. Really adds to the effect. And for some reason, I remember a song or two from it being pretty good. (or maybe I was really ill)

Yep, it had really great songs and very good ballads. Paul Williams actually knew how to make pretty good songs. I just went looking for pictures of the actress who played "Phoenix". I was infatuated with her since I saw her in "Suspiria". I love those big sad looking eyes
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back