PFE's broke. What Next?
Jul 24, 2009 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ImSyko

Head-Fier
This is my third set of PFE's that have had build quality issues... The 3.5mm jack has connection issues where i have to hold it a certain way to get good sound.

As much as i enjoy these headphones, i can't keep continually try to work around the problem or send these back.

What would be something similar, or even a upgrade from these? I would like them to work nice with an ibasso T4 from a member here, and haven't even had a chance to use it with my PFE's inconveniently acting stupid the day before it arrived.

I'm more of a mid lover. I need isolation, so the IE7 is out of the question though i do want to try. I'm thinking SE530 or ER4P based on responses in other threads. Any other suggestions? Or should i just chalk it up and reorder the PFE's again?

Budget:$200

Thanks

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 15
SE530's are indeed known as king of mids in the IEM world, but they're going to run you higher than $200 for sure, even if taking into account used price. Shure in that price range would be SE310 or E4c/SCL4, and they should be nice too if mids are your primary concern.

You could try ER4P/S. Even though they're more known for their highs, their mids are apparently very nice and transparent as well. They benefit well from amps as well so it should work well with your T4.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530's are indeed known as king of mids in the IEM world, but they're going to run you higher than $200 for sure, even if taking into account used price. Shure in that price range would be SE310 or E4c/SCL4, and they should be nice too if mids are your primary concern.

You could try ER4P/S. Even though they're more known for their highs, their mids are apparently very nice and transparent as well. They benefit well from amps as well so it should work well with your T4.

My budget is a little flexible i can add on some more if i really need to. I've seen the Shures go for $230 used so i'm hopin i find them at a similar price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends. Did you get a refund for your broken pfe?

No. At this point, I don't even care anymore. I'm not trying to do the email back and forth thing again. not to mention the wait. I will if i have to.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImSyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. At this point, I don't even care anymore. I'm not trying to do the email back and forth thing again. not to mention the wait. I will if i have to.

At least get a warranty replacement and you can sell them in the FS forum to help fund your new 530s.
normal_smile .gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean get a refund, not a replacement, right?

I've never heard the 530s, so can't say. Check the T4 thread, and see if any owners have the 530 in their sig.

I believe the refund period is over.

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 15
530's with T4? Don't bother, it's not worth the trouble of carrying around an amp. It helps the SQ a bit but it is not really that noticeable (bit of extensions added in the highs and bit of soundstage, but not overly much). The dealbreaker though is that T4 hisses with 530's like a snake, even without any gain settings on. T4 does better with mid/high impedence IEM's with lower sensitivity and 530's are pretty much the opposite, so it's not too compatible. Plus T4 is teeny bit on the warm side, and 530's are already warm enough.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Yeah get a new pfe, or it will be like throwing $130 in the garbage. You can always sell them like-new on the FS forums. A slightly discounted price will almost guarantee a sale if they are unpoened.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 15
I got mine refunded well outside the refund period simply by requesting one. Their customer service is top notch. Ask for a refund, and if they won't give one at least get a replacement to sell. Klipsch X5's are pretty good and near the top end of your budget. I'm selling a pair due to fit issues. Sigh @ having small ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back