Petition to John Grado
Apr 4, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #46 of 126
It is like 19% up here in Holland. When you importing the phones that cost like USD 200+USD 20 shipping, you pay USD 220/1.33=EUR 165+(165X19%)=EUR 196 where EUR 31 goes to the government. It is very simple example, but in the right direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a guess, but possibly government tariff rates have something to do with it.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #47 of 126
Quote:

Just a guess, but possibly government tariff rates have something to do with it.

In the case of the UK, duty on headphones is 2%, plus value added tax @17.5%.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #48 of 126
I fell for the grado foreign prices (€99 for an SR-60) but I protested loudly by upgrading to a $299 MS2i
tongue.gif

my ears and my wallet are both very grateful

PS: Belgium has 21% VAT and import duties are calculated using total cost (price+shipping)

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #49 of 126
Quote:

In this case, I wouldn't think so. Duty is imposed by the country that's doing the importing. Canada doesn't have much duty on US goods (man, that word sounds wrong
icon10.gif
). There may be a case about why Grado sets higher prices for other countries...especially Canada. Also, Grado is good about only stocking with retailers that sell at full MSRP here.....if they have foriegn markets, they would instill the same thing. So taxes aren't influencing the different prices IMO...it's the retailers who are aquiring the headphones via the gray market and inflating their prices. Something to ask John Grado about....otherwise we'll just keep on with the shouting matches of why Grado is so dang on expensive
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 126
Quote:

Tariffs might have something to do with increased rates in overseas countries, but in Canada specifically, there IS NO DUTY on made-in-USA products, under NAFTA. Import taxes are passed onto the consumer who buy the products instore through sales tax. And so, in Canada specifically, there is absolutely NO reason, besides manipulation, for the inflated MSRP.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #51 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is like 19% up here in Holland. When you importing the phones that cost like USD 200+USD 20 shipping, you pay USD 220/1.33=EUR 165+(165X19%)=EUR 196 where EUR 31 goes to the government. It is very simple example, but in the right direction.

But do you see them selling anywhere here? I found 2 shops and they all quoted the sr-60's for like 100+ euro's
blink.gif

That's why it might be interesting to see those prices lowered. Not that I'm gonna need a SR-60 because I won one in a give-away here on the forum
rs1smile.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #52 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I'm concerened Grado pricing abroad is a huge blemish on an otherwise admirable companies reputation.

x2

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #54 of 126
Yes, it is just insane. RS-1 is priced around $1500 here too. Luckily I got a nearly mint one from a head-buddy for $500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #55 of 126
Quote:

As far as I'm concerened Grado pricing abroad is a huge blemish on an otherwise admirable companies reputation.

I have the exact same feeling!
Grado are a highly reputable headphone manufacturer. But the distributor and dealer territories clam they put on, which leads to outrageous Grado prices outside the US, are hurting their reputation.

Quote from HeadRoom: Quote:

Note to International Customers: Grado Labs has asked us to respect their distributor and dealer territories and decline all orders from the following countries: Canada, UK, Mexico, France, Italy, England, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Greece, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Austria, Yugoslavia, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Israel, Slovenia, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Oman, Peru, Argentina, Iceland, Lebanon, Thailand, Brazil, Malaysia, South Africa, North Pole, Atlantis, Middle Earth, LapLand, Botswana, Botsdontwana, South Korea, North Korea.

Please address all dealer location requests, policy complaints, and infraction reports to: info@gradolabs.com

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #56 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I expected these comments. It's hard to see how others feel when you're not in their situations.

uhh, you can step down from you soap box anytime. This thread and topic has been discussed many times here before..and although huffing about it here on HF seems like it is prompting support and various feedback comments, this question seems most appropriate to take up with the man himself. John can most likely speak to this question with the completeness and resolve you are after..just make sure you have another sentence when he flat out responds with the answer and three UHH's later you think of something to finally say or ask..
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, in all serisousness--
How can you possibly know what people have and have not gone through, where they have resided, and under what situations they have been involved with? As example, the market to buy AKG and AT phones in Germany or Japan is quite inexpensive and more affordable than purchasing this same phone in the US Market..Seems up to the Mfr, and relative to their business business strategy.. I am not here to argue for or against you but can offer information relating to headphone Mfr's and their respective regions for sale and resale, and can offer that prices vary,and hence I digress.

..To quote another headfier in the last thread on pricing and Grado..
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This issue has been beaten to death. I don’t care much for the pricing policy. If a manufacturers’ pricing scheme seems so offensive a consumer could always boycott the product(s) or only buy used. Consumers' voices are heard the loudest and clearest when they vote with dollars or withhold their dollars.

search tool uncovers information

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #57 of 126
Quote:

I see no other motive but greed.

Higher demand never hurt a company nor does it force them to increase production, contrary to the argument of the apologists.

I disagree, completely. Let's say you have a job, making good money and have a good life. Someone comes along and says, "Hey, you can make 3x as much money as you are now buy you'll have to work 3x as hard." My answer is thanks but no thanks.

So, as others have suggested it may simply be a matter of not wanting to expand their business because they cannot or do not wish to meet the additional demand. Their only way to ensure this is to curtail the activities of their US resellers and price their product to limit demand in foreign markets. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Is it a bummer for those living outside the US, yup. But I'm sure there are products produced in every market that others wish they could acquire but can't for varying reasons. To make a blanket statement that Grado is greed-motivated is not called for.

My 2¢,

Nate

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #58 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that Grado prices outside the US are insane.
Examples shown by the Norwegian retail prices (including 25% sales tax):
GS 1000 - $2,085.00 (NOK 12,759.00)
RS-1 - $1,471.00 (NOK 8,995.00)
RS-2 - $1,144.00 (NOK 6,995.00)
SR-325 - $735.00 (NOK 4,495)
SR-225 - $571.00 (NOK 3,495.00)
SR-125 - $408.00 (NOK 2,495.00)
SR-80 - $277.00 (NOK 1,695.00)
SR-60 - $204.00 (NOK 1,249.00)

Even if we remove the 25% sales tax, the Grado headphones are WAY more expensive than in the US!
No wonder they don't sell many of them around here...
plainface.gif

That IS insane. Asking $735 for a SR-325 is plain thievery. For once the phrase "how can you spend so much money on headphones?! My $5 no-name earbuds sound just as good" might contain some justification
tongue.gif

But boy am I glad there's Alessandro... for us Europeans.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #59 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olorin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asking $735 for a SR-325 is plain thievery.

Thievery? I must have missed the part where John Grado put a gun to your head and took the $735 out of your wallet.

If you feel the price is too high, don't buy it.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #60 of 126
Well, Grado Labs still has not responded to my email inquiry, and I would not be expecting them to respond to my concern in the near future.

Does anyone have John's email, so i can contact him directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back