Petition: I would like the old site back (or other choice)
May 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #61 of 431
I have a few complaints:

1. I don't like that I have to scroll ALL the way to the bottom of the forum page to read the music forum. Thats where I spend nearly all my time here. On the old site, you could get to the music forum off the front page (head-fi.org, not head-fi.org/forums)

2. The "go to new post" button doesn't always work.

3. Its impossible to tell how many pages are in a thread.

4. I keep hitting the clear button when replying! (Thats more my fault)

Other than that, I'm sure I'll get used to it. 

May 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #62 of 431
Thanks, didn't think of that but I'll try.

May 9, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #63 of 431
I've pretty much adapted to the new site. Although edit/quote is pretty much a crapshoot since it only works sometimes and no idea what makes it work or not it really isn't something I use that often. The onyl thing I would want is an option of theme for a different color scheme or possibly a paid subscription to remove the right side panel area and make the forums stretch to the entire screen. I got no issues however. I'm haven't paid anything so nothing to complain about.

May 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #67 of 431
+1 against the new layout. 

I really don't like it, way too much open space and bright colours, and the text is rather hard to read, a sans serrif font would be much easier to read.

The new layout has killed my sig, it got cut off about halfway through. The signature editor won't let me make a new line when I try to change it. I've seen many other member's signatures being chopped too.

I would also really like BBcode back again, it makes creating neater, nicer looking posts and signatures a lot easier.

There are some features of this layout which I do quite like, such as the new, cleaner banner, but I would think a few upgrades to the old forum would be better than a whole new site.

edit: typo

May 10, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #68 of 431

Quote:

I need some help.  With the old, on every thread, there is a way to just click "Last Page" without having to open up the thread and go to the last page.  Can it be done with the new style?

In the Profile, what is an Album and List?

The UI is definitely more confuseing than the old.

When you reply to a post, you cannot see the comments in the post any more, so how do we respond to certain part of the post?

You can go to the first unread post by clicking on the icon (arrow if unread posts exist) to the left of the thread.

May 10, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #69 of 431

Quote:
+1 against the new layout. 

I really don't like it, way too much open space and bright colours, and the text is rather hard to read, a sans serri

The new layout has killed my sig, it got cut off about halfway through. The signature editor won't let me make a new line when I try to change it. I've seen many other member's signatures being chopped too.

I would also really like BBcode back again, it makes creating neater, nicer looking posts and signatures a lot easier.

There are some features of this layout which I do quite like, such as the new, cleaner banner, but I would think a few upgrades to the old forum would be better than a whole new site.

I had the same problem. Instead of pressing "enter/return" to get a new line (which didn't work) press shift + enter/return. That does work.

May 10, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #70 of 431
From the Huddler website:  http://www.huddler.com/news/8/57/Head-Fi-Re-Launches-on-Huddler-Platform.html

Since 2004, Head-Fi has been ramping up on an agressive growth path that has kept their dedicated site owner  away from the community while he focused on the business and technical aspects that so much growth required.  Now that Huddler has taken over the engineering and business end of the site, he's free to go back to what he enjoys most.       

I agree with the majority of you.  The old site was much better and faster but things change, and when they do there's no going back.

This change was much more than buying some software. And I doubt Jude will be doing any tweaking.

As they said on their site, Huddler will be taking over the engineering and business end of HeadFi, (read tweaking and purse strings).

Everything has its run.  It remains to be seen if the members here can be pressed into the Huddler mold.

HeadFi spun off from HeadWize and perhaps, if enough people are dissatisfied with what HeadFi has become, a new forum will spin off from HeadFi.

In the mean time this is all we have so let's make the most of it.

USG

Quote:
This pathetic excuse of a broken, buggy, slow, obnoxious, patronizing forum system has to go. It's a sad joke how bad it handles. All that poorly working WYSIWYG AJAX crap really makes it a pain for "power users" to post. It might look more appealing for noobs, but it's just terrible usability, slowing everyone familiar with vBulletin, SMF, and similar forum systems down to a crawl.

It's just an infomercial, with better tie-in for advertisers, vendors, Amazon, etc - for the average forum user it has no benefits, as I see it.

And, ***, I want a proper subscribed thread list in my UserCP - one that is sorted by last post date, not by when a thread was started or something similarly useless.

Oh, and the fonts are way too big, with too much wasted space.

Quote:
I've given the forum a few days, and I prefer the format of the old forum.  The old forum was much more targeted with it's information, easier to view, much less wasted space.  Lots of the elements on this forum layout look like things are randomly put about.  Almost like someone said "aww, to heck with it.  Just put all of the stuff on the forum and be done with it". 

It seems like more attention was paid to switching the business model, and not on the optimization of the implementation of it.
The old forum seemed a lot more thoughtful in this respect.

I miss good ol' head-fi.org, the one I grew up with and liked to use.

Quote:
I just keeping looking at the blank 1/3 of the page. Truly annoying. Isn't there anyway for the posts to flow into that white space when there are no ads there? Otherwise, its just okay. I like the old forum better, but if Jude already laid out the cash for this software, I doubt we're going to retro-fit the old software.

Quote:

yes..if you look at the huddler website, all they go on about is increasing traffic, advertising and marketing and such like :frowning2:

Quote:
I've seen a lot of people mention the potential for Jude, et al. to tweak the site to improve deficiencies.  Do we know for sure how much tweaking is even possible?  I've checked out some other forums running on Huddler, and aside from cosmetic differences, they all pretty much look the same to me.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/
http://www.epicski.com/forum/
http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/
http://www.greenoptions.com/forum/

Quote:
The new site looks nicer.  But overall, I agree.  It's more difficult and takes longer to do just about everything I've done before here.  It's taken 2 steps forward and 5 steps back.

-Ed

May 10, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #72 of 431
Quote:
I had the same problem. Instead of pressing "enter/return" to get a new line (which didn't work) press shift + enter/return. That does work.

Thanks, it works. I've also used HTML (source button) to add links and stuff, similar to what BBcode could do. Still, I prefer BBcode to HTML.

May 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #74 of 431
Agreed with the OP, I want the old site back!!

By the way, can anyone tell me how I can view my thread subscriptions? When I go to my profile I see a list of threads I posted in, but not (all) my subscriptions.

May 10, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #75 of 431
should be on your homepage. if you click on subscriptions only it shows the thread you are subscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back