Petition AKG to re-release the K 1000's?
May 19, 2006 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
^^ Yeah, I know how useful petitions can usually be, but here's my point.

How in the blue hell were these obviously hardcore, high end cans that are basically small speakers...discontinued?!

As much as I enjoy my 701's, and have no complaints about them, I can promise you right now: Had these been available, I would have saved up and purchased them without hesitation. I still would.

I just don't understand how or why these were discontinued and how or why this concept/model didn't seem to catch on?

May 19, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Sales were horrible. Seems like a sound business decision to me.

But they're so awesome!
wink.gif

May 19, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
But they're so awesome!
wink.gif

But if they are not profitable, they are not awesome enough, in hte company's perspective.

May 19, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 32
Sales will pick up when humans become more enlightened instead of ignorant iPod users. They should write on their website that K1000 needs a good amp and they should have a list of recommended amps submitted by users. Krell power amp works great for bass.

While they are bringing it back they should improve on it with a silver voice coil and silver binding posts, and they should remove the PCB. Selling this for $1200 should be fine.

May 19, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Sales will pick up when humans become more enlightened instead of ignorant iPod users. ....

Hey Hey I support the return of the K1000 - although I have never heard them I have heard enough about them and would highly support their return.

BUT I am not an ignorant iPod user - just an iPod user.

BTW, how do would you think the K1000s would sound from my receiver ... of course the source being my iPod line out to RCA cable
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

May 19, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 32
I won't be able to afford K1000s within 2-3 years at least, but if there is a petition, sure, I'll sign it
smily_headphones1.gif
It's ultimately to the betterment of us all, isn't it?

May 19, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Sales will pick up when humans become more enlightened instead of ignorant iPod users.

I don't think it has to do with ignorance as much as the fact that it costs $1000.

May 20, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I don't think it has to do with ignorance as much as the fact that it costs $1000.

And yet we have people here flipping out over new $1000 Grados without missing a beat.

Who are we kidding here? This is ALL a niche market at best.

We'll see how those $1000 Grados sell and see if they make it for as long as the AKG K1000's did or not.

May 20, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 32
First of all, anyone I know who knows that I spent more than $100 on a pair of headphones asks me if I'm into "DJing" and after learning that I am not, wonders why anyone would spend over $100 on a pair of headphones if they are not a DJ.

May 20, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

And yet we have people here flipping out over new $1000 Grados without missing a beat.

Who are we kidding here? This is ALL a niche market at best.

We'll see how those $1000 Grados sell and see if they make it for as long as the AKG K1000's did or not.

Those Grados will do just fine. Firstly because people will pay anything to get that specific coloration they can't live without. More importantly, Grados are built and priced with the expectation of low volume sales. They really don't invest much in terms of new machinery for a new headphone as just build what they can on existing capital infrastructure. So even if they sold 10-15 of them they'd probably recover the time spent designing and tweaking them. Any more sales would just be icing on the cake, so to speak.

With AKG, and the K1000, I'd imagine that they need to keep certain machinery around just for the K1000, and probably even a few specific people on the payroll just to make the K1000. So they need a certain consistent sales volume to even break even on salaries and depreciation of machinery. Even still, I'd bet almost anything that AKG would still be making them if Harmon didn't buy them.

May 20, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

^^ Yeah, I know how useful petitions can usually be, but here's my point.

It isn't necessarily as futile as it seems.
This is the second time the K1000s are discontinued.IIRC the first time some recording engineers complained and the K1000s were resurrected.
However, I'm not interested in another K1000.I do already own three of those.
In case you have the funds it's not exactly what I'd call difficult to get a pair, at least not at my location.They are growing on trees here.
icon10.gif

Quote:

While they are bringing it back they should improve on it with a silver voice coil and silver binding posts, and they should remove the PCB. Selling this for $1200 should be fine.

Well, that's a petition I would sign.Upgraded drivers and to hell with the built in analog parametric equalization, the latter at least optional.
What a wonderful and unique concept, but, let's face it, the drivers are outdated.
State of the art drivers (AKG is already very good in that department) coupled with the extreme nearfield monitoring concept, $1200, why not?

May 20, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
It isn't necessarily as futile as it seems.
This is the second time the K1000s are discontinued.IIRC the first time some recording engineers complained and the K1000s were resurrected.
However, I'm not interested in another K1000.I do already own three of those.
In case you have the funds it's not exactly what I'd call difficult to get a pair, at least not at my location.They are growing on trees here.
icon10.gif

Uh, I think you need to be PM'ing me some info...
wink.gif

Quote:

Well, that's a petition I would sign.Upgraded drivers and to hell with the built in analog parametric equalization, the latter at least optional.
What a wonderful and unique concept, but, let's face it, the drivers are outdated.
State of the art drivers (AKG is already very good in that department) coupled with the extreme nearfield monitoring concept, $1200, why not?

^^ I'd hit that.
wink.gif

Maybe I'll link AKG to this thread if nothing else...

May 20, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 32
Might as well petition them to reissue the K340 while you're at it, but guess what, that ain't happening either unless you can get a few hundred or a few thousand people to put down firm deposits for the goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back