Peter Forsberg sent to Nashville... Bad news
Feb 16, 2007 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

OogeleyBoogeley

100+ Head-Fier
As a loyal Red Wings fan, I felt my heart sink into my stomach when I read that the Nashville Predators acquired Peter Forsberg for 2 draft picks and 2 relatively unknown players. This will not bode well for the Wings come playoffs, because the already high-powered Preds will have yet another playmaker in their arsenal. I have seen Nashville play many times (my uncle has season tickets in the 3rd row behind the bench) and they will be so lethal its not funny. Here is hoping that the Wings can find another scorer by the deadline.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 35
I was pretty surprised, not by the trade, but to where he wound up. Nashville is going to be dangerous come playoff time whether Forsberg stays healthy or not, but I don't want my Canucks to meet up with them (though I'm sure Hank, Dank and the boys could handle them
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 35
Who is Peter Forsberg and what did he do to be sent to Nashville?
blink.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 35
I was telling people before the season even started that Nashville would be playing for the Cup, and that was only after they had added Arnott. Then they signed Dumont. Now they've got Forsberg. That team is scary.

But don't worry. We'll get Guerin.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by OogeleyBoogeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a loyal Red Wings fan, I felt my heart sink into my stomach when I read that the Nashville Predators acquired Peter Forsberg for 2 draft picks and 2 relatively unknown players. This will not bode well for the Wings come playoffs, because the already high-powered Preds will have yet another playmaker in their arsenal. I have seen Nashville play many times (my uncle has season tickets in the 3rd row behind the bench) and they will be so lethal its not funny. Here is hoping that the Wings can find another scorer by the deadline.

This worries to a Red Wings fan why?? Come the 2nd round of the playoffs, the Detroit players are already finished their 18 holes at the golf course, in time to watch the rest of the playoffs on tv, which dosn't involve them.
So you have nothing to worry about lol

Ok, that was more of a ribbing, but back to your honest post, I do think this helps them alot, even if the guy plays very little or alot.

I think Nashville will either slide right into the semi-finals, are get knocked out, due to their lack of time in the playoffs, like a San Diego Chargers type of deal in the NFL (best record, but a rookie QB etc)

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 35
Guerin would be nice....

As for your comment Topshelf, I hope that that isn't the case. Detroit's inexperience and arrogance over the last few years has hurt them. This year they are more mature and have a more solid core.

As much as Forsberg is going to help Nashville I am not too sure about. Forsberg is a playmaker, not so much a scorer. The Preds already have Kariya. Hartnell and Arnott are the only power forwards that Nashville really has, so I find it hard to believe that they are going to have the firepower. Or at least I hope.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 35
dammit [Dave] Nonis, why didn't you vouch more for Forsberg?

oh well, we still have the other boys from Örnsköldsvik (Nazzy and the Sedin Twins -- whom I hope will take care of that explosive firepower the Preds now have)

I hope we pick up a solid D-man at the deadline. You know that all-star Rory can't do all the work!!
rs1smile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by OogeleyBoogeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a loyal Red Wings fan, I felt my heart sink into my stomach when I read that the Nashville Predators acquired Peter Forsberg for 2 draft picks and 2 relatively unknown players.

That's pretty expensive price for a "frequently injured near retirement" player. He is magic, when he could play. I hope Nashville will give him time to heal before the playoffs, cos Philly couldnt afford scratching Foppa. Flyers has lost the season already, so they dont need Forsberg anymore.

Additionally, I think it was a wise move from the Flyers to start building future roster. Forsberg wont be playing many seasons more, if it continues like this season. He has won everything hockey has to offer except World Cups, twice (2 Olympic golds, 2 Stanleys, 2 World Championships), so I think he wont be motivated like e.g. Selänne (lost World Cup finals to Canada 2004, lost Olympic finals to Swedes 2006, lost World Championships to Czechs 1999 and never played Stanley finals), who has made remarkable comeback from same type of situation Forsberg is now with his injuries.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #13 of 35
If indeed his issue is just the skates, instead of his foot, he will have a great impact to Nashville. From all I've read, he IS healed, just doesn't have the right fit on his skates due to his surgery last year.

This sounds like a possible win-win for both sides: Nashville now, Philly for the future. I hope he's healthy, he's just great to watch....

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additionally, I think it was a wise move from the Flyers to start building future roster.

It was a necessary move for the Flyers, given that Forsberg has only two months left on his contract. I'm very sorry to see him go, because he is an unbelievably talented player and amazing to watch. The Flyers have been a completely different team with him in the lineup this year than without. With him, they have been competitive, even in losing efforts. Without him, they literally have not won a single game. Now that he is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't win another game all season. But this season has long been over for the Flyers, so they had no choice but to look to the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back