Pete Millett's Tube Amp questions
Feb 8, 2004 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

brschmid

500+ Head-Fier
I want to build this, and i am gonna order the PCB soon, but i need to know some things first.

I need the article to build it, do i really have to buy everything for 2002 to get it??

Does anyone have pics of their completed amp?

What case to use?

What parts can be upgraded, and where to buy them?

Anything else i need to know?

thanks

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 18
you might consider wiring it point to point on protoboard. The layout and placement of components follows the schematic very closely.

I'd post a pic, but have no camera.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 18
You have to call them on the phone to order just a single issue. It is $7. I ordered one last week and it arrived yesterday. The article is very thorough and well written so I would advise you to purchase the back issue.

You could use nicer parts if you want, there are plenty of options for changing the capacitors, jacks, volume pot, etc. However Pete himself advises that this is not a high-end amp, so I don't know how much mileage you would get using $30 Blackgates for the coupling caps. I'm planning on using an Alps Blue Velvet and a Neutrik headphone jack, but that's because I have a few extra laying around. I'll be using Panasonic FCs instead of the Elnas, and Panasonic Film/Foil PP instead of the WIMA Metallized PP, that way I won't need to order from Welborne. I'm debating whether to build an inexpensive regulated PS or just use the cheap 24V unregulated wal-wart from the parts list.

Check the sticky notes at the top of the forum for lists of places that sell nicer parts. There are quite a few places.

Hope this helps!

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 18
i don't plan on spending much more than what the plans call for. Just a thought.

If i can order almost everything from the same place that would be best for me.

I wish i would have know i can call and order back issues, i just placed an order for the CD-rom.
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 18
i actually just found that thread a little while ago.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 18
i just ordered the board tonite. the rest of the parts are gonna have to wait awhile until i get some more money.(it was an expensive week)
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 18
i like that idea, but i think i am gonna use a Hammond 1444-16
cool.gif
i have a dremel
280smile.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 18
You'll be glad you bought the CD-ROM. There is all kinds of stuff to help you get into trouble on there.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 18
i build this as my first amp. looking back, i wish i had the knowledge at the time to make some different part choices... ordering from four different suppliers, you get cleaned out when it comes to shipping costs.

the case pete suggests isn't much of a case... it's more of a platform to screw the amp down to. you're probably going to want to cook up something better.

strangely, the headsinks for the buffers didn't come with any mounting hardware. i actually have been using binder clips for the time being.
smily_headphones1.gif
i really haven't noticed the buffers heating up at all, so you could probably get away with no heatsinks at all. but then your buffers will sort of be flapping in the breeze.

i started off with the 12AE6As, and concurrently with that, i reripped my music. it turns out that my ripping process was flawed and put some serious crackles in my files. at the time, i blamed it on the tubes, and bought some of the 12FM7s. later, i switched back, and i have to say that right now i like the 12AE6As better.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 18
i emailed them about the order for teh CD-rom and they canceled it and are sending me the single issue instead, which is good, because then i can maybe buy some parts
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back