Pet Comfort
Aug 25, 2007 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
If you have a pet, how do you keep it comfortable? Do you use a dog bed, or does your pooch sleep on the floor?

I thinks animals want to be comfortable, and as a pet owner it is my responsibility to make sure my pet is. I mean, your dog is not going to ask your for a comfy place to sleep. If he is cold and sleeping on a hard floor, he'll do it without complaint, although he may not like it.

I have a pet iguana, and I have seen most iguana enclosures use particulate substrate (wrong), or just paper (hard). Since I box-trained my ig I don't have to worry about keeping him locked up, and in fact I try to make life as comfy and interesting as possible for the lizard. I put him near a window so he can have something to looks at, and gave him an old memory pillow with nice high thread count pillowcases. HE LOVES THOSE PILLOWCASES. His game is to get into the pillowcase and just slide around in there.

Anyway, he is OK with sleeping on a ledge or on a bike saddle, but I can tell when he is in the mood he loves his bed.

Anyway, take a look at how you keep your pets. Would YOU be comfortable in their situation (don't be snarky!
tongue.gif
)?

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 46
We have two cats, and cats tend to sleep where ever they like. Sometimes they sleep with us, sometimes they sleep on the floor. We have several cat beds, and occasionally they even sleep on them.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dog sleeps in bed with my under the covers right next to me.

My iguana does the same thing. He plays his "blanket game" with my sheets, crawling around my feet. Man, when those claws touch your feet, it is too much.

I'm glad to hear you guys pamper you animal kiddies too.
cool.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 46
my dogs, small ones, 2 ****zus and a new pug, usually climb up on the bed at night. The new pug likes to try and hog my pillow ( I have a millet seed hull pillow) When I used to have my iggy, (had her for 8 years) I converted the 6 foot wide closet in my den into a home for her. with a full set of 6068 sliding glass doors, large tree branches to climb up to her basking shelf, ceramic warmer in one corner a red lightbulb in the other corner of the ceiling and 2 4 foot reptile lights all on timers. I had indoor/outdoor grass carpet on the floor and a cat litterbox filled about 3" of water for her potty. I was very upset when i lost her (due to egg binding)
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 46
I'm single and have a queen-size bed. I sleep on one side, the dog sleeps on a blanket on the other side. He gets his own pillow and everything. Funny thing is, he's 14 pounds, so he can fit himself entirely on the pillow if he wants.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dog has destroyed every single dog bed we've ever gotten her. Now she sleeps on our leather couch (she already destroyed one) or the carpet stairs. Occassionally when its really hot, she'll wander into the basement on her own and sleep on the cold floor there.

Call the Dog Whisperer. Or the super-nanny or somebody who can help you.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 46
My cat sleeps on top of me
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 46
We have two dogs and they're both as spoiled as can be. They know who's boss, but they've both been raised with a lot of love and consequently, they're both very sweet natured animals. They not only have nice comfy memory foam pet beds, but the have free run of the furniture and us as well. We have a long haired Chihuahua and an English Setter. The chihuahua's, (Peanut) favorite perch is right on my chest when I'm in the recliner watching the tube or reading a book. Bubba, the setter would lay there too, if he wasn't so big, but then Peanut's the boss anyway, so she get's her way most of the time.
185701129_75a2fbf04f.jpg

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 46
We tried dog beds with our dog, but the best I could ever get him to do was just use it as a pillow. I used to let him sleep on my bed with me when I used to live in my parent's house, but after I moved out, my sister and parents wouldn't let him sleep on their's because my sister's is too small and my mom is afraid of animals. Unfortunately, because I moved back into my parent's place and am back under their rules, my mom has forbidden me to allow him onto my temporary bed, so I finally went out and got him a big comfy futon/couch that he can call his own.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 46
My dog sleeps ONLY in my parent's bed. When they are out of town, he sleeps with me. He never ever sleeps outside of a bed at night.... he is so spoiled
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my dogs, small ones, 2 ****zus and a new pug, usually climb up on the bed at night. The new pug likes to try and hog my pillow ( I have a millet seed hull pillow) When I used to have my iggy, (had her for 8 years) I converted the 6 foot wide closet in my den into a home for her. with a full set of 6068 sliding glass doors, large tree branches to climb up to her basking shelf, ceramic warmer in one corner a red lightbulb in the other corner of the ceiling and 2 4 foot reptile lights all on timers. I had indoor/outdoor grass carpet on the floor and a cat litterbox filled about 3" of water for her potty. I was very upset when i lost her (due to egg binding)
frown.gif

I like the idea of a water-potty. Except my ig is now used to the clean paper towels, and when crawling out of her poop-box--I swear to God--she wipes her butt-vent on the paper towel. I've seen her do it.

Sorry to hear about your ig's egg problems. My first ig was a female who lived twelve years. First time she was gravid I built an iguana nest (dirt cave) and she laid about 24 eggs. Years later she got egg-bound and I had her spayed. She lived on until she got an infection and died, despite treatment.

Both my ig's for some reason like to sit on the sofa behind my head. Their soft tummies make great headrests, and you can really lay your head on him because he holds on so tight (I just got it confirmed my current ig is a male).

Got to got, my ig just dumped my toolbox.
eek.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 46
MoMo sleeps wherever she wants to. Usually wherever her mom is.

Edwood_Mojito_9-16-06_03_TVRemotes.jpg

Edwood_Mojito_9-16-06_02.jpg

Edwood_Mojito_Toys_8-27-06_01.jpg

During the day, she usually sleeps on the floor on her towel. At night she usually sleeps with us in bed. When it's warmer weather, though she'll sleep on the bathroom tile floor.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back