Pesky HD800 again... need advice.
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

First off, let me just say it is nice to be back on the forums again. I feel like I finally want to make the next step to try out a tube amplfier for my SD modded HD800's. Currently I am using a Marantz CD6005 as source and the Audio Technica HA-5000 amplfier. I really enjoy the smoothness, clairty and airiness that the HA-5000 provides, but it just does not have enough power to drive the HD800's properly, since they were designed mainly to drive the W5000's.

The HA5000 retails at about 1K, so it is a high quality MOSFET SS amp made in Japan, so I am looking for something around that kind of price. I did my research prior to posting this, so I know there are plenty of options but I found one tube amplfier that really interests me. The Elise, by Feliks Audio. It is around 800 US dollars and within my budget.

I did not want to post this on the Elise forum since I wanted a less biased opinion of the amplfier and how it performs. Has anyone actually heard this amplifier? Reading the reviews it seems it does a good job and it synergistic with the HD800. What is the performance difference between the Elise and a high end tube amplifier such as the Zana Deux? Also any other options? In the end, I just want a properly matched amplifier that will drive the HD800's and provide a more relaxing and richer listening experience, so I can just forget about all my equipment and enjoy my music again.

Any input would be great appreciated.

Cheers.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Try asking in the HD800 thread,or simply reading it...The HD800 is so dependent of its upstream components that your question is prolly the most asked question on Head-Fi.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 5
A nice OTL amp will suit your purpose very well, there are many ...do some research of what works best for your budget.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 5
"Pesky" HD800 !?!!.... Hmmm....sounds like another listener being a little apologetic for the HD800's "& one headphone that will rule the playback regardless of whether the music is the way the HD800 wants it to sound" superiority complex !

All I'm trying to say is you'd be better off trying some ways to "tame/bring line" the "6-8khz freq. bump" that these cans want to introduce, before finding a headphone amp that "plays along with the 800's dictatorship of how things sound". The HD800 can be a great sounding headphone.(Unless it is at odds with the rest of your playback setup & more importantly with the "as intended" sound of the music you're listening to)

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 5
"Pesky" HD800 !?!!.... Hmmm....sounds like another listener being a little apologetic for the HD800's "& one headphone that will rule the playback regardless of whether the music is the way the HD800 wants it to sound" superiority complex !

All I'm trying to say is you'd be better off trying some ways to "tame/bring line" the "6-8khz freq. bump" that these cans want to introduce, before finding a headphone amp that "plays along with the 800's dictatorship of how things sound". The HD800 can be a great sounding headphone.(Unless it is at odds with the rest of your playback setup & more importantly with the "as intended" sound of the music you're listening to)

I actually don't have an issue with HD800's peak in the 6-8khz region ever since the installation of the SD mod, it tamed that down perfectly for me. One of my favorite things about the HD800 is how transparent and revealing they are in regards to the rest of the audio chain, unfortunately, my amplifier seems to be the weak link. After doing some research seems like I am going to go for the Feliks Elise since I have a pair of Black Treasure tubes to go with them, so like "whirlwind" mentioned, a nice OTL amplifier. Hopefully, the amplifier provides some added body and warmth to the sound without sacrificing soundstage, imaging, and clarity that the HD800's excel at, that would be the perfect combination in my opinion. I just wonder what the performance difference between something like the Elise (reasonably priced OTL amp) vs a Zana Deux or DNA Stratus is..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back