Perth, Western Australia July 24th Meet Impressions
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cravenz

Headphoneus Supremus
We just had our meet a few hours back, thought I'd try and get this thread up and running before hand and type up something.

Again, thanks everyone for coming. Will reserve the next two posts for pics (didn't take proper ones unfortunately) and comments.

Also, thanks Fred_fred2004 for organising the place, henerenry for the lift there and Alan for the lift back
beerchug.gif

It was all rather messy, but we got through it, it was a first meet for me and it was nice to put a name to everyone's faces and I enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll have more/better gear the next time round.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 20

Fred_fred2004's DIY builds. There is his amazingly small Cmoy next to the Altoids tin. He tried on several occasions, as an act of kindness, to trade his Cmoy with henerenry's amp. Suffice to say, he was politely turned down.

raff012's setup on the top right. This was more or less the portable table. raff012 brought the SM3, BabyStax, IE8, Pico slim, and 2 of 'em headphones which cost under a $100USD. They packed a punch of fun those cans.

Bottom left was Quokka's setup with the DT250s I believe, D10 and the Corda 2Move. He had a Cowon as well which was a sweet portable.

MrGreen's setup: DT770pros; k701, DacMagic and the Emmeline from RS I believe.

Group shot, not really, but it'll have to suffice (from left to right): henerenry, raff012, MrGreen, ah wait (no sticker, was this Townyj?), Quokka, Fred_fred2004.

Fred_fred2004's extremely big Cmoy.

Everything from the CD transport to the right is henerenry's. DIY Dac and the WA2; HD650s and the HD800s.

In my little corner: M-Stage, HD555s and the k702s and IE8s.

The most popular headphones at the meet I believe, the HD800's. Owned by henerenry.

Fred_fred2004 and Alan (SNA member) talking DIY.

Quokka's portable section, you are so not forgiven for not bring the T1s
biggrin.gif

MrGreen and the Hd800s on his own rig.

henerenry's MS-Pros. Townyj's? Meier Mk III? and Apollo transport.

henerenry listening to the 701s with his WA2.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 20
Geez..impressions. Where do I start?

I was hoping to compare the T1s next to the HD800s, but I think the headphones that I was looking forward to hearing were the HD650s and the HD800s. It gave me a better idea of what I was looking at from my next headphone up after my 702s. Also, I was looking to test the much touted SM3s.

Anyhow, I'll run through what I tested, briefly.

First up, IEMs and this straight away points towards the SM3. Definitely brighter and more forward sounding than the IE8s. To be honest, I liked the sound of the SM3, and it had better detail than the IE8s, but I'm not quite sure I like the forward sound of it. I didn't listen to them very long, but I already had the question in my head, could I take this for hours? I don't think so. I've grown accustomed to the more laid back sound of the IE8s so I really don't think I'm missing out.

BabyStax, mmm...definitely a different sound and I'd say it's very very unique. I don't think I quite tried it on properly so I'll reserve my comments
L3000.gif

For most of the headphones, I ran Pendulum, Gotan Project, Fourplay and one or two other random stuff.

MS-1s, I didn't get to try the MS-Pros, which I should have. But I'm definitely surprised by the MS-1s, I was expecting a more metallic or brighter sound, though it is somewhat, I definitely enjoyed the headphones. I think they are value good value at the price offered and I'm now open to the idea of owning a pair, though I have no immediate need for it.

DT770pros, I'm not a big fan of closed cans, but I thought it was pretty ordinary and nothing to shout home about.

HD650s, I can now see why they mirror the IE8s so much, but to be honest, I actually think I might like the IE8s more. Though to many the IE8s bass is boomy, I thought the HD650s bass was a puff of air, well, a tad harsh, but I thought it lacked both punch and texture. Possibly due to the lack of the mid bass hump from the IE8s, but still. Again however, if I had to compliment the k702s as a side-grade, it would have to be the HD650s.

HD800, what can I say? Technically a great set. I drove them off the M-Stage at 10 gain, any more and instruments started to sound metallic and harsh. As good as they are, they definitely don't offer as much in the bass department. Maybe I'm becoming a basshead thanks to the IE8s, but I just think that I want something that gives off a punch/impact re: bass. I'm not sure if the T1 or the LCD-2s will do this and I'm very much inclined to know this if anyone has an input. I gather the T1s are stronger off the bass.

I think that's about it from me. It was great to meet everyone and hopefully it was a good experience for anyone. Given it was a tad like organised chaos seeing that it was my first meet, but if we ever do have a next one, perhaps we will go about it more efficiently
beyersmile.png
. Again, thanks for coming everyone.

Jul 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 20
Was a fun little meet.

Seems that there was a lot more chatting than actual listening, which isnt a bad thing.

It was great to hear the mspro out of a few other amps, I think it plays amazingly well with that meier and that tiny little RSA.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
Seems that there was a lot more chatting than actual listening, which isnt a bad thing.
L3000.gif

I regret not listening to the MS-Pros; I definitely thought the MS-1s were pretty decent and I've changed my opinion of Grados lol.

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:

This most definitely the norm.
You talk to these people all the time on the forums, pm's, and email but to see each other face to face... there is always something to blab about  =D

Looks like you guys had a great meet!

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 20
The meet was an interesting one.

The highlights for me were the Baby Stax and the HD800.

The stax were a real interesting listen, the mid-range was "funny" for a lack of a better word, almost sounding upside down. Vocal harmonies were blended really excellently almost to the point of being one sound like a choir. I'm not sure if I like that, but it's definitely interesting and new and something I wouldn't mind investigating.

The HD800 were just excellent, if a little sharp around the treble, but I quite like that kind of thing. It's mind-blowing on a good set of goa and I was actually surprised by how "nice" it made things, rather than making things sound poorly recorded a lot of the time with the ER4P. Cymbals are amazingly real.

Similarly, I found with the K701, which I hadn't heard with my new amp until the meet was nicer than I previously encountered in the soundstage department. It, like the HD800, made things sound "nicer" than the ER4P did (it actually made the worst sounding track I have listenable). It sounded somewhat similar to the HD800, but with less texture in the bass and possibly less of a spike in the treble (as there was a detail in one particular track in the treble), even though the treble was a bit more grainy.

The DT250 was much too dark for me on my setup as were some other phones. I found the superlux headphones fairly interesting for such a cheap buy.

I also found the Mspro also not to my taste (not a grado fan), but honestly it's a lot smoother and nicer than the MS1 in my opinion.

Overall, fairly humbled by my setup, particularly in the headphones department. Just holding out for the "right stuff".

Enjoyed the chatter.

PS jeez I look balder than I remember
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 20
I actually chickened out at the last minute... :/ by the time i trained it all the way to Gosnells i was short on time. Bit of a bummer seeing as it looks like a nice amount of gear turned up.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 20
Hello WA. Looks like a great meet and I'm jealous of the gear you had!

Oh yeah I talked about 90% of the time... it's no surprise I didn't get to hear much at our meet.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
I actually chickened out at the last minute... :/ by the time i trained it all the way to Gosnells i was short on time. Bit of a bummer seeing as it looks like a nice amount of gear turned up.

Bummer. You should have popped by. Would have been nice.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Cravenz, do you still have all the pictures of the meet in their full resolution? Wouldn't mind them.

Yup, I do. How would you like me to send 'em over to you?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Yup, I do. How would you like me to send 'em over to you?

Could you upload them to imgur.com or something?

Not sure what else will fit them depending on their size. Or a rar on mediafire.

Or via email to maid_in_taiwan@hotmail.com, but I'm not sure how many that'll take.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back