Personal Impression: Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 Operation Amps Upgrade Result.
Mar 4, 2007 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Tiramisu

Head-Fier
Hi guys:

I'm very glad that I've purchased the best soundcard avaliable on the market in terms of its features, customizability, and No.1 sound quality proven and claimed by many reviewers through various benchmark tests. Creative X-Fi is no comparason to the new Auzen Meridian with its implemented Oxygen HD 8788 Chip. For gamers, X-Fi may perform better in terms of higher FPS and lower CPU usage. For all audiophiles, this card will meet your highest expectation from a sound card for music and movie as it's fully supported all Dolby formats: Dolby Headphone is one of them I'd point out becouse this is what matters to us on the head-fi.org

Now here comes its upgradable operational amps. It's widely acclaimed that it's supposed to give out significant difference in the sound reproduction. Others have said they were totally amazed by the Oxygen HK 8788 Chip and "floored" after they done the 4 onboard OPAMP upgrade (Burr Brown OPA2134PA) This is the recommanded OPAMP from Auzen official website under their support page. This upgrade is for analog output from the soundcard. For SPDIF connection, the signal is trasfer to your external DAC/ADC so this is for analog users. From the website, it states that it's suppose to give out clearer, stronger signal and better sound quality playback and recording.

Well, whatever others said and those websites claimed aren't going to be a substitude for my own pleasure experience of course, said to myself.

Here's the story...

sigh....quite a dissapointment from this upgrade.
Nope, the sound quality/range/clarity/extention/depth DID NOT improve by a significant amount. Personally, I wouldn't consider this is an upgrade NOR a degrade either. Simply the result isn't great, in fact, I can't tell a difference.
I just paid Doug $30 for parts/labour all together which is a very fair price for a suppose to be decent upgrade. He did a great job during the installation process with contact sprayer on all parts.

The result is...I'm just not floored. I've a highly reputable high end Hi-Fi Headphone cost $200USD - Audio Technica A900. The difference may have to be tested and calculated through various 3D sound benchmark tests to get that fair margin of improvment result on paper. But user experience isn't there for me, IMHO.

I'd say the sound db level output, quality, depth, range, clarity and extention is just great as it is without an upgrade. Unless you're a professional trained ears audiophile, you're not going to detect great amount of difference. This doesn't mean I'm a newbie in the audiophile's realm, I've years of lisening experience from high end equipment, I know how each music notes should be presented throughout the full range of sound spectrum.

Conclusion, I cannot say it's a degrade from the original operation amps but I'm not going to state it's going to be a significant upgrade even tested with high end stuido level hi-fi monitor. The sound is excellent as it is originally. However, I wouldn't discourage all Auzen sound card owners who wants to do this modification. From a marketing perspective, you're buying an experience. This experience/pleasure purchases is intangible. What is going to enhance this experience feedback quality is going to be closely associated with the additional "placeable effect" from users; the power of believing that you're getting a "better" sound. Are you actually getting a much better overall sound quality from this upgradable mod? The result is really to each of their own and with placeable effect, yes, it's going to help by a fair amount as this our human nature...

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 19
I got it and sold it. It´s a nice card but I didn´t see it sounded that much better then my X-fi currently. It was a totally different sound overly warm which I didn´t like about it.

I did try some opamps hte 8642 which many thought better then the burr brown. They sure did a big difference to the sound mostly to the better.

But OPamps I guess they are a compromise like everything else in term of sound guess you need to find one that suits your headphones and preferences.

But for non EAX games it´s great however for EAX games the X-Fi simply sounds better then the X-meridian. As for Dolby headphone vs CMSS3D. Dolby headphone don´t screw up the sound so much but CMSS3D is a bit better with positional I feel however that is one feature I miss on the X-fi.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 19
The LM4562s sound much better than the Burr Browns to my ears. I'm listening to the LM4562s on the X-Fi and it's very impressive.

there's also a LOT of other mods that can be done to the Auzentech. Changing opamps is only the first step.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 19
I didn't know X-Fi boards can be modded..?!

Good to know that there are more potentials to the Meridian, care to elaborate more on what are the other mods?

Where did you get your OPAMPS? digikey? what would you recommand for an even better opamps than the already upgraded burr brown opamps? Better yet what's the best avaliable opamps that works with Meridian?

TIA

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 19
dunno but AD8620 or whats their name are supposed to be good with just about everything
smily_headphones1.gif

X-fi can´t be modded unless you are handy with a soldering iron lol

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 19
Look what I found guys..

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562...%20Description

*I found this link from an Auzen Meridian review site so it's definetely suitable for Auzen soundcards or perhaps any soundcards with swapable opamps that has 8 pins..etc"

Here is the site: great info on the specific characteristic for the type of opamps that you need
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/revie...dian/page2.htm

The Burr Brown recommanded from Auzen are for general purposes, and I assume this LM4562 are suppose to be for those die hard demanding ears...like me??
tongue.gif

LM4562 seems to be the best avaliable opamps here!!
"Easily drives 600ohms" holy...that surely opens up the types of headphones I could try and not just tied up to low impendence ones.

There are different LM4562 there so which one is preferrably works better on the Meridian and where I can buy it and get them shipped to Canada??

TIA

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 19
OPAMP type: Sonic Narrow (LM4562MA/LM4562MAX)
m08a.jpg

and

OPAMP type: MDIP (LM4562NA)
n08e.jpg

Since I've done the mod of the opams on my Meridian soundcard so I'm certain that the latter, MDIP type - LM4562NA is the one to go for. It looks exactly the same as Burr Brown with 4 pins on each side facing down. and small circulur dent on top left.

I guess ordering a rail of opams , bulk quantity is the only option...
smily_headphones1.gif

*Edit: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9339200
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....113796&page=24

See the above links for some personal feedbacks on the LM4562 opamps...omg...I think I should of get this instead of burr brown...

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 19
yes it´s the 8dip version you need. did you find the AD8620?

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys:

I'm very glad that I've purchased the best soundcard avaliable on the market .

Using different OpAmp, you change the coloration ...

LM4562 have the same coloration as the stock but have more dynamic and better bass (deeper and better control) (was my first thing I have ear).

I use X-Meridian BTW. You have to put all sound effects to OFF (it's important).

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 19
Tiramisu, have you also shorted the output filter capacitors? Those make a noticeable difference in clarity. You can also change the power supply capacitor for a nice juicy 4700uF one for tighter and stronger bass. Also, mount the soundcard in the lowest PCI slot in the computer.

And definately try the LM4562s! I've compared it to all the other opamps, and beleive me I've got quite a collection of them.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 19
Yes, The upgrade to the 2134's is anything but dramatic. Those are not the way to go. The fix a little of the imaging etc but there are just not very exciting amps IMO. Now it's hard to tell which amps are good from reviews a becasue everbody hears things differently. I tried the:
OPA2134
OPA2107
OPA2227
LM4562
I liked the 2227's better then the 2134's. The 2227's have a nice low end that is alot better controlled. The 2134's I don't recommend to anybody although they do offer subtle improvements. The 2107's are nice also but too pricy. The LM4562's are a totally different story, those ones are very nice and they unveil alot of the cards potential sound quality. Basically all the people doing upgrade on the Opamps in the different forums are going with the LM4562's as you get great results. People all say the same thing, the card is awsome with these amps.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using different OpAmp, you change the coloration ...

LM4562 have the same coloration as the stock but have more dynamic and better bass (deeper and better control) (was my first thing I have ear).

I use X-Meridian BTW. You have to put all sound effects to OFF (it's important).

Oh boy...i missed out on this part. Turn off all the sound effects (Stock setting) from the Xear3D control panel prior to the installation? Do you mean I should restart my comp with Xear3D setting at stock setting after the new OPAMPs installation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiramisu, have you also shorted the output filter capacitors? Those make a noticeable difference in clarity. You can also change the power supply capacitor for a nice juicy 4700uF one for tighter and stronger bass. Also, mount the soundcard in the lowest PCI slot in the computer.

And definately try the LM4562s! I've compared it to all the other opamps, and beleive me I've got quite a collection of them.

You know, I really would love to do those mods but I'm not too mechanical inclined to be able to get those done without detail instructions and where to get them...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it´s the 8dip version you need. did you find the AD8620?

Nope I'm still trying to fiqure out how to find the AD8620 by part # search?
Well, I tried ordering 4 LM4562NA 8DIP but I need to become a registered customer first. I just sent in my request and meanwhile, I'd like to find out more info on the AD8620 and how it's compared to the LM4562NA.

One main reason that makes me HAVE to upgrade the stock opamps on the Meridian is I felt the bass is really lacking when pairing it with my A900 headphones. This certainly isn't the issue when I was pairing the soundcard with the BOSE Around-Ear as all music notes just sound perfect even goes for the low low range. Before I got the recommanded Burr Brown installed, I thought to myself that they're going to be like a dream come true for me....but NO...i honestly don't feel a difference...oh my goodness. Shortly after the Burr Brown mod, the only best thing I can do after spent $30 for nothing is just let my placeable effect kicks in...
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LM4562s sound much better than the Burr Browns to my ears. I'm listening to the LM4562s on the X-Fi and it's very impressive.

there's also a LOT of other mods that can be done to the Auzentech. Changing opamps is only the first step.

Could you please provide more info about sound card mods. I am very interested in X-fi and X-meridian mods.

An illustrated walkthrough like your recabling guide for AKG would be awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back