Personal help for new cheap earphone
Dec 22, 2009 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vicentte

New Head-Fier
Hello!

This is my first post here, and I have, in fact, done a lot of research before, but I still feel I could get some custom help considering my personal preferences...

I am looking for an "outsider" set, since I inline skate to college, take several buses and spend almost my entire day on the streets. In fact, I was thinking of buying a pair of closed headphones in my next upgrade, but I was robbed when using my PortaPros, and because of them, I also lost a cell phone and my iPod Touch, so this time I don't want anything nearly flashy...

I was using, before the Koss, the Creative EP-630, which were 'stolen' by my father, who also fell in love with them. They were responsible for making me interested in this world, after I realized everything sounded much better than with the iPod original phones.

So, what would be an upgrade for the EP-630s for less than US$80 or so?
My research was not that helpful, because I found many many more possibilities than when I first started looking.

Anyways, here are some in my mind:
Klipsch Image S4
Etymotic Research ER6i
Shure E2c
Shure SCL2

So, among these, which would be the best?
I am looking for quality of sound, noise isolation and comfort...

Also, my top ten by Last.fm for the last three months:
Damien Rice, Radiohead, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Ryan Adams, Ben Kweller, Coldplay, Bon Iver, John Mayer, U2, Jeff Buckley.

I am sorry for the big post and for eventual English mistakes, I'm from Brazil.

Thank you all in advance!

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by majm84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would add Head Direct RE0 to that list.

I've read they are noisy with clothes and wind, so they're probably not the best choice for a skater...

Do you think they are better than the ones I listed? In what?

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicentte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read they are noisy with clothes and wind, so they're probably not the best choice for a skater...

Do you think they are better than the ones I listed? In what?

I haven't tried others, just got my RE0 yesterday. They just came my mind for the price.

Edit: the new version has cloth cable which should reduce microphonics. Mine is old (used) though.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I think I would be careful getting too much isolation while skating. Just walking with high-isolation IEMs can cause problems if you aren't observant of where you are going and what's going on around you. I have the bruises to prove it...

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I would be careful getting too much isolation while skating. Just walking with high-isolation IEMs can cause problems if you aren't observant of where you are going and what's going on around you. I have the bruises to prove it...

Yes, of course, I will take care... If they are too isolating, I'll take one of my really cheap earphones when skating on the street...

But for every other situation, like when on buses and stuff, external noise pisses me off, so I am really searching for sound quality and isolation, even though I may change my phones to skate...

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 10
The RE0 is fine. However it is not a cloth cable, it is a ppe cable and over the ear with the clip reduces microphonics a lot. Also I probably would not use iem's when skating as they can be dangerous if you are not careful. Commuting and stuff like that is fine with RE0. imo out of all the iems that you have listed the RE0 is better than all of them if I am assuming correctly that scl3 is better then scl2 since those are the only I have not heard but I've heard other shure iems so it should compare.

Also, what the heck were you doing to get bruises from wearing iem's?

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 10
If I am lucky, someone will sell me a Triple Fi 10
smily_headphones1.gif

Bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back