PerreauxSXH-1 now at Hi-Fi Farm
Apr 5, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
At 500 dollars, the perreaux is a fair deal. However, the 400 dollars PPA should sound better than the Perreaux. I agree with Sov that the CD3K and Perreaux have a magic combo, but still, I prefer my PPA to the Perreaux.

Purk

This is exactly why I stated unless DIY....OTOH I do not think you could get a PPA with a toroidal transformer, and a good internal PSU as Perreaux has, for 400 neither, mine was above that....

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 33
Feels good when u can sell something at a higher price than what you paid for... lol JK.

I can't imagine anyone selling used perreaux for more than what the AA price was. Maybe around 350 or so. The fact remains, this amp is a spoiler. You will not get performance like this in any other low end/mid amp.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 33
Sov,
I agree with you that for a commercial amp, the perreaux is hard to beat for both price and performance perspective. Although my PPA doesn't have a dedicate PSU, I still prefer my PPA to the Perreaux. My STEP PSU will be here on wednesday, and I will order the diamond buffer to complete my PPA. Thanks Voodoochile for the STEP.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Sov,
I agree with you that for a commercial amp, the perreaux is hard to beat for both price and performance perspective. Although my PPA doesn't have a dedicate PSU, I still prefer my PPA to the Perreaux. My STEP PSU will be here on wednesday, and I will order the diamond buffer to complete my PPA. Thanks Voodoochile for the STEP.

Are you telling me that the PPA + Steps was under 400.00??? If youl ike it with the Elpac you will love it with the Steps....and if you go for the LAB Power......
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 33
Sov,

I certainly prefer my PPA w/ Elpac to the Perreaux and I hope the STEP will help push my PPA to next level. Nope my STEP is over 100 dollars.

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Sov,

I certainly prefer my PPA w/ Elpac to the Perreaux and I hope the STEP will help push my PPA to next level. Nope my STEP is over 100 dollars.

OK, I have not heard the Elpac, with the voodoo Linear PSU is certainly better, but as many had complained about the Elpac performance I was hesitant to believe it was that good....

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #22 of 33
Sov,
No problem here. My PPA has all internal silver wiring, and everything else is top-spec. The caps are Panasonic 1000uf, and the input is Cardas rhodium. So my PPA is not a basic one, but is a mid-grade one at that. I can detect a difference b/w the Perreaux with the PPA quite easily, and Tom Hankins also agree that my PPA also sound better than Perreaux. Again, I love the Perreaux, but for 500 bucks, it is only a fair deal.

Purk

Apr 5, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Again, I love the Perreaux, but for 500 bucks, it is only a fair deal.
Purk

No, don't misunderstood me, of course I agree on that 100%, at 300.00 that I paid at that time, it was a real bargain, but at 500.00, without any prior reference, I would think twice before buying it....Now that I know it, I could assure you that it is worth the 500.00, but it is not a killer deal at all, nor any other around that price point.

Apr 5, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 33
Sov,
Ditto to that. I feel sad seeing the Perreaux retails for 500 bucks. It was a real bargain at 250 dollars (Demo) and 300 dollars (new).

Purk

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #25 of 33
Maybe it should have been that price to start with? I remember people saying people would not take it seriously for the old lower price. I've seen a number of people comment how it takes on Emmeline amps (Hirsch for one).

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #26 of 33
pbirkett,

I agree. The point is that people knows that the Perreaux used to retails for a much lower price, so they will not spend 500 bucks for it. Given its performance, it is still a good deal. I hope Hififarm discount some price.

Purk

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #27 of 33
well, don't count on them discounting it anytime soon. in fact, the $500 INTRODUCTORY price will be bumped to $600 starting monday...there's a lot more to compare it against now.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
well, don't count on them discounting it anytime soon. in fact, the $500 INTRODUCTORY price will be bumped to $600 starting monday...there's a lot more to compare it against now.

That is starting to get out of control, that is almost Gilmore V2SE territory. I would expect more than a dink knob for tha much, even if it does have the sound quality people say it does. I mean, sheesh, that is diamond buffer PPA, or MPX3, or whatnot, not just a little dinky knob. Oh well, I guess they will have second thoughs when they get practically no orders, as I would expect, since people know it can be sold for so much less.

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
That is starting to get out of control, that is almost Gilmore V2SE territory. I would expect more than a dink knob for tha much, even if it does have the sound quality people say it does. I mean, sheesh, that is diamond buffer PPA, or MPX3, or whatnot, not just a little dinky knob. Oh well, I guess they will have second thoughs when they get practically no orders, as I would expect, since people know it can be sold for so much less.

Well, the V2 alone was 500.00, and the V2SE is even more expensive (IIRC, someone can correct me)...OK? But at 600.00 I will not get it...of course...there are other options with a little bit more....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back