Perreaux vs. PPA head-to-head?
Feb 20, 2004 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, my last post didn't get too many responces, and I apologize for constantly asking these annoying questions, but this comparison is very important to me. Is there anyone who has heard both of these and could comment on how they perform against one another? The PPA would be configured like this:

8 Nichion UPW 1000µF 35v power supply C1 Capacitors.
6 Nichion UPW 100µF 35v C4 Capacitors
9 B and C Components 1.5µF 50v metalized polyester C2/C5 capacitors
6 B and C components.1µF 50v metalized polyester C3 capacitors
1 10pF silver mica C6 capacitor
12 8mA min rail isolation JFETs
JFET Cascode class "A" bias
3 Texas Instruments TLE2426 "rail splitters"
12 Intersil HA3-5002-5 output buffers (socketed)
3 Analog Devices AD8610AR opamps (mounted on Browndog adapters and socketed)
1 50kΩ Alps RK27112 Blue Velvet potentiometer
Hand matched Vishay Dale 1% metal film resistors.
Dayton gold plated RCA input jacks.
Neutrik 1/4" locking output jack.
Isolated, locking type 5.5/2.5mm DC power jack.
Mountain Miniature Toggle power switch
Kilo International H series .95" (natural aluminum with black rings) Knob
High intensity blue led (mounted with a through hole nylon led holder)
Elpac 24 volt DC power supply
This amp is housed in the standard Hammond 1455 enclosure.

Comments? I don't have the time, money, or opportunity to A-B them, so the opinions of various members of Head-Fi are very imporant to me. This forum is an invaluable audio resource, I hope I can get a few comments, at least.

Edit: As source has already been mentioned: Either a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, or a Sony CDP 555EX, if I can find one in my budget used.

Second Edit: My phones are currently Audio Technica A900s, but I will be interested in trying the AKG 271s, as well as Sennheiser HD 580/600/650, after my budget recovers from the immense hit this will be.

Feb 20, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 10
I have heard both, with Sony CD3000s and AT W1000s.
My PPA was configured differently (aren't they all), with different op amps and a very hefty power supply.

I would summarise the differences (which were pretty obvious) as -
the Perreaux very pleasant, warm, inoffensive
the PPA in a higher league - more of everything especially clarity and detail.

If the source is good enough, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the PPA. If it isn't stick with Perreaux and save some money to spend elsewhere e.g. Sonys + Perreaux combine well

n.b. just my opinion

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 10
I've heard both with HD650's. Ditto the rest of ronslam's post.

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 10
And your headphones will be?????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
BTW, get rid of the Elpac if you are going for a high sensitivity, low impedance can...

Feb 20, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 10
I edited again and added my headphone plans to my earlier thread. Please temper response with the fact that this is a very basic PPA. It is certainly not one of the high-end, extremely costly ($400+) things many people here have. What effect would the low-end level of it have on its comparison between the Perreaux?

Feb 20, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't believe that there's such thing as "very basic" PPA. Yours seems fully loaded to me - it has all the parts that matter. An incomplete parts list spreadsheet I have lists the price of all parts at 476.81 Canadian including ELPAC adapter. That is US$362, though that is with battery board, so there's no cheap PPA either (that price is also incomplete, and without shipping, taxes and duties/brokerages for all the orders). Basically PPA with battery board will cost US$400 in DIY if you have to pay for all the parts. My bank account definitely felt it when I built one back when tangent first released boards.

ELPAC is actually a pretty decent supply for an opamp-based amp.

EDIT - that price was calculated taking into account having someone do your panels for $50 and getting a nice $15 pair of RCA jacks. Still, various taxes and shipping would probably get you there. I guess a PPA without battery board could be DIY'ed for US$200 or a bit more.

Feb 20, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 10
PM purk, he owns both amps and the 555ES. He also owns a pr. of ATH headphones(500 I think) I've heard them both at the same time and the PPA is a cleaner sounding amp with better extention in both directions. I liked the HD650 better on the Perreaux and the CD3000 better with the PPA. Something about the Perreaux sound was very much to my liking. Smooth and warm. The PPA tech wise was the better amp but not sure if I liked it more. Talk to purk I'm sure he can add more light to the subject. My impressions are based on a day listening session.

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Tom,
The AT phones that you listened to is A100Ti, a 40th years anniversary run of 2000 model.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back