Perreaux SX-H1 Mods anyone???
Feb 11, 2004 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

agbassano

New Head-Fier
I just got my SX-H1 and it hasn't even had the chance to burn in properly....but, has anyone contemplated doing any mods to it yet???
very_evil_smiley.gif
Or has anyone identified a specific component that could use an upgrade?

I know this place is FULL of tweakers and tinkerers so I'd love to hear your thoughts!
600smile.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 8
I think you're nuts; the amp sounds great. If you find fault with it then it might be time to start talking about modding it, if not you're playing with fire.

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 8
The only thing I may suggest you to mod is the Power Supply, maybe better caps, faster diodes, and period, maybe a better pot if you find any that fit there...the rest is playing with fire, you may ended changing the sonic signature of the amp, to a different not yet so pleasant one...so be careful, better components does not mean always a better sound, circuits are design in audio sometimes to work as a whole, and sometimes some compromises are needed, a dark A to tame that bright B, and slow C to tame that fast D, etc...
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 8
The pot is not a bad one, it looks like an small fake alps, just that green, and the trace is very balanced in both channels, at least I was not able to discern any unbalance...

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 8
The only thing I've changed is the power cord because I had an extra one from VH Audio on hand. As this was during the break in period, I can't say whether there was a difference, although I did notice a nice change when I used it to replace the previous power cord on my now sold Rotel 1066 preamp/processor.

Personally haven't had any experience with other headphone amps, but have a lot of experience with home audio gear. I will say the Perreaux has far exceeded my expectations sonically. The more I use it, the more I think that it'll be a long while before I feel the need to own anything else. Now, if only I can get the replacement cable for my 650's finally delivered.

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 8
wait for 200 hours and you will see what Perreaux can do for your money! I think modification is not neccessary for this amp.

Purk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back