Perreaux Silhouette SXH2
Jan 25, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 13
I was gonna start my own thread for this, but seeing how this might answer your question (in a way), I'll post my thoughts here.

I recently got a Rega Ear and Perreaux SXH-2 from my dealers. They both came brand new and I had to let them burn-in for around 20 hours each. Source used was a Sony DVP-NS930QS DVD/SACD player. My existing amp is a Total Bithead. The only headphone used was Senn HD650 (didn't bother trying other ones).

I had the Ear a few days before I got the SXH-2. Frankly speaking, Rega Ear isn't that much of an improvement over my TBH. This is not to say that it's not good - it is thoroughly enjoyable. Bass is well controlled and the overall sound is very smooth. The only slight improvement the Ear has over the TBH is in instrument separation, but that really doesn't justify the "upgrade".

Then comes the SXH-2.

After 20 hours of buring-in, I had a quick listen to the SXH-2. What I heard was ASTONISHING. Instrument separation was so good that I can tell how far the principal viola was sitting from the oboe. Background was black as a black hole - dead silence. The improvement was even more significant with SACDs. The sound is as clear as I have ever heard, and nothing was left behind. This, however, doesn't mean that the SXH-2 is analytical. It presents musicality just as well as the Ear and TBH, but with much more authority and confidence.

Considering how many people think the Ear and HD6XX to be a good match here, I was a little disappointed about the lack of improvement the Ear has over TBH. Then again, TBH itself is quite an outstanding amp and I've been quite satisfied with it. SXH-2 is almost twice as expensive as the SXH-1 (and Rega Ear, TBH, etc), and I think for good reasons, too. From what I have read, the SXH-1 is a very good amp for the price, but still not in the league of really good amps. This time Perreaux has done it, and I'd definitely recommend the SXH-2.

Mar 23, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 13
I tried Perreaux SXH-2 with HD650 here in Sydney yesterday.

The sound quality is very good at high and mid-range; much better for the piano, the violin and the soprano than many expensive speakers I also listened to yesterday. Very clean sound, low (next-to-nothing) noise.

I had to turn to clock 2 to get reasonable volume with the hd650 though.

Price here is A$999.00. That's more expensive than many non-head amps: too much. If they cut the price by half, I bet they can sell a lot of them.

Mar 23, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 13
The SXH2 I tried in Melbourne had a low-high gain switch at the back. Did you use it with your headphones? The volume level seemed to be fine at 11 O'clock (from memory) with my Senns.

I tried my HD600 + Cardas on the demo model in Carlton Audio Visual and it sounded good, but without any extensive headamp experience I didn't know at the time how it compared to other brands. At that price there were quite a few options available to me on the market. I wouldn't mind having one as a collectable, and I do wonder how it stacks up against my GSP Solo. The low-high gain switch might also make it more suitable for the Grado SR-325.

Unless I get some extra cash from somewhere, I'll have to do without for now.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
The SXH2 I tried in Melbourne had a low-high gain switch at the back. Did you use it with your headphones? The volume level seemed to be fine at 11 O'clock (from memory) with my Senns.

I had gain switch on high. Hmm. Maybe it just showed how
much hearing loss I've got. :frowning2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
I tried my HD600 + Cardas on the demo model in Carlton Audio Visual and it sounded good, but without any extensive headamp experience I didn't know at the time how it compared to other brands. At that price there were quite a few options available to me on the market. I wouldn't mind having one as a collectable, and I do wonder how it stacks up against my GSP Solo. The low-high gain switch might also make it more suitable for the Grado SR-325.

Unless I get some extra cash from somewhere, I'll have to do without for now.
rolleyes.gif

I'm in no hurry to get one. I am also wondering what long-term health risks there are to have a pair of magnets around my head for hours from time to time?

I might eventually just get speakers. But the SXH2 does sound good for the stuff I want to listen to.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 13
I think you guys are probably listening at a volume too high for your ears. I've had my SXH-2 for over a month now, and I rarely turn the volume past 11 o'clock, and that's with classical music! If I was listening to Jazz or Latin music it's usually at 9 o'clock. If hearing loss is already an issue for you, then you probably should avoid headphones, since they encourage you to turn up volume to (potentially) dangerous level without knowing it.

A$999 sounds really expensive for SXH-2. I got mine from my dealer for NZD800. Granted that was a special price, but you certainly can get it in NZ for less than A$800.

SXH-2 has excellent bass (both quality and extension), and when paired with HD650 I can actually *feel* the bass even at comfortable volume. (Again, if you don't hear the bass with this setup, you may be experiencing hearing loss. See an audiologist if in doubt.) I agree that it works especially well with piano. Perahia's Goldberg variations is simply magic with this amp. SXH-2 gives the music an airy feeling that few high end speakers are capable of. After weeks with my SXH-2, I'm more confident than ever that SXH-2 is one of the best amp in this price range.

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Wow, this is exactly my impression of the SXH2 also. Saxphile, you took the words right out of my mouth. Although I had done most of my listening with HD600s (unfortunately had to part with them). Maybe I need to step into a pair of 650s
smily_headphones1.gif

I was actually beginning to wonder if anybody else out there was actually using the SXH2. Are there many more people using it? and what are your impressions? saxphile and myself are both in New Zealand, is it possible that Perreaux aren't distributing the SXH2 internationally yet?

It seems that the previous SXH1 was quite popular here in it's time and I find it a little strange that the SXH2 hasn't been taken up. Any ideas why? I'd have thought there would be trillions of impressions on here already...

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Has anyone compared the SXH2 to the SXH1? I'm wondering if the former maintains the warm tonal characteristics of the old SXH1.

Mar 25, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by saxphile
I think you guys are probably listening at a volume too high for your ears. I've had my SXH-2 for over a month now, and I rarely turn the volume past 11 o'clock, and that's with classical music! If I was listening to Jazz or Latin music it's usually at 9 o'clock. If hearing loss is already an issue for you, then you probably should avoid headphones, since they encourage you to turn up volume to (potentially) dangerous level without knowing it.

Considering I had listened to César Franck's Symphony in D minor on high power speakers for an hour before I turned to xsh-2, I think the hearing loss was only temporary. :)

Quote:

A$999 sounds really expensive for SXH-2. I got mine from my dealer for NZD800. Granted that was a special price, but you certainly can get it in NZ for less than A$800.

Lucky you!

Quote:

SXH-2 has excellent bass (both quality and extension), and when paired with HD650 I can actually *feel* the bass even at comfortable volume. (Again, if you don't hear the bass with this setup, you may be experiencing hearing loss. See an audiologist if in doubt.) I agree that it works especially well with piano. Perahia's Goldberg variations is simply magic with this amp. SXH-2 gives the music an airy feeling that few high end speakers are capable of. After weeks with my SXH-2, I'm more confident than ever that SXH-2 is one of the best amp in this price range.

I tried four CDs on sxh-2, and Perahia's Goldberg variations was one of them. :) And the violin just sounded heavenly.

But I am not going to pay $999 for it.

I saw a secod-hand NAD c370 for only $600.00 here, which seems to be a good option.

Mar 25, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiegao
Considering I had listened to César Franck's Symphony in D minor on high power speakers for an hour before I turned to xsh-2, I think the hearing loss was only temporary. :)

Glad to hear that.
smily_headphones1.gif
It really sucks if you developed a hearing problem after spending thousands on audio equipments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiegao
I tried four CDs on sxh-2, and Perahia's Goldberg variations was one of them. :) And the violin just sounded heavenly.

I assume you meant piano? Last I checked that's still what Perahia plays.
wink.gif

Seriously tho, with the trans-tasman flight tickets so cheap, you can really afford to fly here and buy one. I can probably get another one of these from my dealer at the same price.

Mar 25, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #11 of 13
Sounds like you guys thing the Perreau SX-H2 is an improvement over the previous model. I bought the previous model and returned it as I felt the bass slam lacking, I did like the mids and highs though.

Bass appears to be improved in the new model? If so the price is not outrageous (well its outrageous but Aussies get a rough deal) compared to the Talisman I bought which is the only amp I have listened to for less than $1000 that does the job right to my ears.

I'll have to go try one...

TonyAAA

Mar 25, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Glad to hear that.
smily_headphones1.gif
It really sucks if you developed a hearing problem after spending thousands on audio equipments.

If I have any hearing loss, that will be the result of playing musical instruments while I was little. Can't blame hi-fi equipment :)

Quote:

I assume you meant piano? Last I checked that's still what Perahia plays.
wink.gif

:) I was referring to Perlman playing the violin on another CD in my last sentence. Of course it was the piano that made the most difference: it was unlistenable on the speakers.

Quote:

Seriously tho, with the trans-tasman flight tickets so cheap, you can really afford to fly here and buy one. I can probably get another one of these from my dealer at the same price.

Thanks very much. I'll think about a vacation in NZ some time in the future.

Cheers.

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Sounds like you guys thing the Perreau SX-H2 is an improvement over the previous model. I bought the previous model and returned it as I felt the bass slam lacking, I did like the mids and highs though.

Bass appears to be improved in the new model? If so the price is not outrageous (well its outrageous but Aussies get a rough deal) compared to the Talisman I bought which is the only amp I have listened to for less than $1000 that does the job right to my ears.

I'll have to go try one...

TonyAAA

Go and have a try at Len Wallis since you are in Sydney. I'd love to hear your impression of sxh2 in comparison with the Talisman.

I did have a chance at a Musical Fidelity x-can v3, which has better, livelier mid-range, to my ear. But sxh2 sounds so clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back