Perreaux problem: Anything I am missing? Known issue with new amps?
Oct 21, 2004 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
Hi. Just got my new Perreaux SHX1, happily powered it on, let it run for a few hours... and put on my HD650 just to sample the sound....

Problem: The right channel seems to have a 'fuzz' sound that only comes on when there is music. That is, the amp is totally silent when there is no music, but with the sounds of drums/guitar etc, the right channel kind of adds a 'fuzzy' edge to the sound.. almost as if the headphone diaphragm was damaged. That aint so, 'cause I tested the headphone by hooking the headphone straight to my Sony XA777ES's headphone jack.... the sound was prisine clean. No fuzziness.

I further tested the headphone amp by swapping the player, the interconnects and the right channels is still fuzzy.

Am I missing something? Will this fuzziness go away? Need I clean the jacks of this brand new amp? Or return it as defective??

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Amit
PS: This experiment again finally reinforced to me how good the Sony XA777ES sacd players headphone jack is...... it does boast of a 'dedicated circuit' but it is no pushover......

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 18
Could I feel more like an idiot?
rolleyes.gif
I was plugging the amp at the wrong rca.. for outputs.... Hope did not damage something! Thanks to utep10 sent a pm to me! However, this has not solved the problem. Sound has improved, but the 'fuzz' is still there....

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
Could I feel more like an idiot?
rolleyes.gif
I was plugging the amp at the wrong rca.. for outputs.... Hope did not damage something! Thanks to utep10 who correctly guessed the problem in an pm to me!

It doesn't matter where you hook them, the jacks are connected in paralell, any will do the same unless any problem in the amp, right now I'm using the outs in mine for space purposes....

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 18
Does this mean then, that Moody's RCA outs are broken or not connected?
Moody, you should try to hook you outs on your Perreaux to another amp or something to see if their working.

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
Does this mean then, that Moody's RCA outs are broken or not connected?
Moody, you should try to hook you outs on your Perreaux to another amp or something to see if their working.

You have to check that you are using L and R and not the two L's or the two R's, they are placed horizontally...

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 18
I thought you were considering Stealth, Cary, Singlepower and Stax?
CPW

Oct 22, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I thought you were considering Stealth, Cary, Singlepower and Stax?
CPW

yes, I still am... PPX/Supra/Cary are in my list. I did lust for a few hours over a Stax Omega II but without access to one for extended audition, dont want to sink that kind of money... this Perreaux is stop gap... and I had an idea of finally selling these or moving them to my office....

The fuzz sound is back.. the sound of the Perreaux has improved significantly after I moved the input of my SACD player to the 'inputs' of the Perreaux (which is why I thought the fuzz was gone when I used the outputs rather than inputs). But it is back. Ah well. Any more ideas?
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 18
I wonder if the production quality is sagging in the final run. My second sample (made 7/04) had some rough edges in the metal work, hummed more than the first one, and seemed to have a mild case of the fuzziness you noticed. Noise intermodulating with signal?

Oct 23, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amadeuswus
My second sample (made 7/04) had some rough edges in the metal work, hummed more than the first one, and seemed to have a mild case of the fuzziness you noticed. Noise intermodulating with signal?

That is what it sounds like... which makes me wonder how they got that nice clean 'manual' audio graph they send with every headamp... noise should have immediately shown through the test signal.... I do not think this amp is worth it as of now....

Oct 23, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

That is what it sounds like... which makes me wonder how they got that nice clean 'manual' audio graph they send with every headamp... noise should have immediately shown through the test signal.... I do not think this amp is worth it as of now....

Guys be advice that those were demo from AA, demo includes all the returned amps with defects, or the ones they tried to fix without success, they were trying ot get rid of the stock they have, you never know once you ship an amp what the hell the recipient do with the amp, sometimes they damaged it becasue of a bad operation and later blame the manufacturer for it, as it is under the warranty they accepted it back...and so on....IMO they tested all the amps before shipping them out, what happen later becasue of abuse, or any part defect, etc...is another issue, I do not think those are fake graphs, they do not need that, honestly the Perreaux is the less expensive amp of the pieces they sell....

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Guys be advice that those were demo from AA, demo includes all the returned amps with defects, or the ones they tried to fix without success, they were trying ot get rid of the stock they have, you never know once you ship an amp what the hell the recipient do with the amp, sometimes they damaged it becasue of a bad operation and later blame the manufacturer for it, as it is under the warranty they accepted it back...and so on......

Well, not in my case. Mine came from hififarm and I was assured by the lady on the phone that these were 'straight from the factory' I did ask her if these were refurbs. and was told upfront that they were not... so I do still think there is something fishy here.

My model no is 242717 and is dated (per test record) July 1, 04.

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Well, not in my case. Mine came from hififarm and I was assured by the lady on the phone that these were 'straight from the factory' I did ask her if these were refurbs. and was told upfront that they were not... so I do still think there is something fishy here.

My model no is 242717 and is dated (per test record) July 1, 04.

In that case send it back.....just for curiosity, what was their price?

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

In that case send it back.....just for curiosity, what was their price?

They are sending me a replacement... will see how that goes and then send either one or both back.

USD $200 It is a blowout... they are not going to sell anymore Perreaux stuff... so she told me at least.

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

They are sending me a replacement... will see how that goes and then send either one or both back.

USD $200 It is a blowout... they are not going to sell anymore Perreaux stuff... so she told me at least.

This is the same case as AA, probably what they have is all demos, or retunrs. How was the box, usuaslly the Perreaux box is black, and while removing the tapes you rip it off

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

This is the same case as AA, probably what they have is all demos, or retunrs. How was the box, usuaslly the Perreaux box is black, and while removing the tapes you rip it off

Box was original with printed names etc.... and the tape looked new with no over-tapes, tears etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back