Perreaux a good amp?
Jun 28, 2002 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Clay

New Head-Fier
One of my friends is selling a Perreaux (2150B or 2350). He says it will have much better bass than my B&K ST140.
I was wondering you any of you have opinions on these amps.

I am running the Mac C20 into a Pyramid (cheap) electronic crossover then to a Dynaco st70 for the highs and the BK for the lows bi amp into old ess AMT 1A.

Thanks, Clay

Jun 28, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 3
I have owned a Perreaux 2150B for 15 years now. They are solid MOSFET amps built in New Zealand. Great sound reminiscent of the Halfler DH500. I upgraded from a Hafler amp that I built myself in college. The Perreaux is a fine unit, and a far better choice than a bipolar power amp, in my opinion. I would never use anything but MOSFET. I am also quite partial to the Ashley pro audio MOSFET power amps.

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 3
its not often I can get to say that I have 2 of Perreaux 5150B and I find that they are good amps. AB I think. I have used when I was buying my 2 amp the ones you mention as I was bi - amping. So yes the amps are fine. The preamp from Perreaux is definately a paper weight.
If I turn both my amps on at the one time I can blow the fuses in my house. You all wanted to know that.
Then on the other hand when I turn them off they continue to make sound for up to 45 seconds.
I promise not to mention this again until someone mentions the Perreaux amps again.
Hell will be close to freezing over
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back