Perplexing difference in usb audio sources
May 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

digiman

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just been fiddling with my set up to track down a hum. In the process I was switching sources i.e different computers.

My set up is:

Computer (Foobar) via usb to Burson HA-160D, pre-out connected via chord phono to Audiolab 8000PX power amp. (All cables are chord, usb cable is a wireworld starlight or something)

I was switching the source from my computer's usb out to my girlfriends laptop. Both computer's were playing the same flac file, both at 24bit 96hz and the difference was very noticeable.

The unpleasant surprise was my girlfriends laptop produced a better sound. My computer was producing a boomier uncontrolled base. Don't get me wrong, both sounded very good, but the laptop had the edge on a more refined bass.

My question is how on earth can two different usb boards with the same cable etc be producing noticeably different sounds? Surely its just 10101010?

I've tried every different usb slot on the computer and it is all the same. Can anyone recommend a high quality USB PCI card?

I am totally confused by this 
blink.gif

May 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 6
"Surely its just 10101010?"

Keep digging. Your are on to something that will rock the foundations of this and other related common perceptions.

For now, and truly, only scratching the surface -- listen to the laptop with and without the battery charger connected.

May 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 6
*Officially the biggest Numptie of the day*

rolleyes.gif

My foobar had the Convolver DSP running.....

thanks skamp!

May 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
*Officially the biggest Numptie of the day*

rolleyes.gif

My foobar had the Convolver DSP running.....

thanks skamp!

Freakin' hilarious, especially in light of post #2.

May 13, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Try a M2TECH HiFace

" Datatransfer through USB to a DAC is normally limited to 16bit / 48 kHz data maximum. Vista and WINDOWS7 allow for data rates upto 24bit / 96 kHz but the USB-ports of most DAC units do not accept these rates yet.
The HiFace made by M2Tech is a digital Audio Interface that provides S/PDIF output signals of upto 24-bit/192kHz from a USB port and thus enables bit-precise playback of high-resolution audio data-files on your computer.The HiFace operates asynchronously with two high precision clocks and therefore the output signal has extremely low jitter.
Drivers are offered for both Macintosh and Windows/Vista operating systems. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back