Perpetual motion....
Aug 11, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 23
Nice!

It must have taken a long time to make. I wonder how many takes needed to make it all work right.

Every time I see one of these vids I keep thinking about that one Honda commercial.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That still requires external forces, doesn't it? A perpetual motion machine is supposed to be self-sustaining and run forever.

yes once the electrons are in motion they'll keep on going!

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not a perpetual motion machine but they do exist, for example electrons going around a superconducter loop.

Even if somehow an ideal state for the superconductor is maintained, I think that over a very long timescale (>> age of the universe) em flux quanta can leak (tunnel) out of a superconducting loop, thus reducing current. Plus, since if you do work with the current, the system will couple somehow and energy will leak out. I don't think a superconductor counts as perpetual motion even if you assume the current is infinitely persistent though - since I think a perpetual motion machine is defined as a system that outputs more energy than is put into it and even though the superconducting current lasts for a very, very, very long time, it doesn't mean that you can extract more energy than you put in.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 23
good point, circularlogic. if the perpetual motion machine is defined as a system that outputs more energy than is put into it, then it could not exist, as it is against the laws of physics.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good point, circularlogic. if the perpetual motion machine is defined as a system that outputs more energy than is put into it, then it could not exist, as it is against the laws of physics.

Sure it can, water and potassium, little to no energy required to mix the two. But once the two combine, ENERGY GALORE.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure it can, water and potassium, little to no energy required to mix the two. But once the two combine, ENERGY GALORE.

That's chemical energy you're releasing though. The water and potassium that you're putting into the system itself counts towards the sum total of energy. You lose some of the energy after the reaction due to entropy losses (like the act of mixing) (I don't know what exactly takes place though!)

Oh yeah! And I don't think you can't really say that the electrons moving forever (assuming they do) counts as something special. Since they condense into a bose-einstein ground-state and essentially become bosons by coupling with another electron, they're supposed to "move" without energy loss, I think it's something to do with no pauli exclusion principle "drag." I mean, saying that the Cooper pairs (coupled electron pairs in a superconductor) moving forever is special then is similar to saying light is special because it "moves" forever.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But the energy is originally stored in the water and potassium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back