Permanent hearing damage in my left ear
Jan 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zowki

500+ Head-Fier
Before purchasing my new Audio-Technica ATH-M50, I was using a pair of earphones that was broken on the right side. Because of this I cranked up the volume really loud so that I could get the same kind of loudness that I usually experience with both ears. After long listening sessions I would get a sense of numbness and a high ringing sound in my left ear. When I finally got my ATH-M50 headphones I discovered that my left ear sounded muddier, softer and not as clear as my right ear. My left ear also lacks a lot of details such as the high hat and acoustic guitar. I had apparently blown my left ear after using those broken headphones for about a month. I am very upset right now as I believe there is no treatment for such ear damage and I am only 17 years old. This is a great loss for me as music is my favorite form of entertainment and I will never be able to enjoy it as much as I did a month ago. My ATH-M50 headphones have amazing sound quality but I can only fully experience it in my right ear.

Edit: I think my ear just healed over time. The problem seems to be completely gone as of now. I have learned my lesson now, I try to listen to music at a lower volume.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 7
That was an exceedingly foolish thing to do. Like others have said, you need to have this given medical attention immediately. Don't worry about your pride or fear of ridicule. Sometimes the lingering effects of high amplitude exposure can fade with time, but that all depends on how loud and for how long the exposure. I wouldn't take a chance in this instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back