Perfect moments in music
Sep 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

cr0

New Head-Fier
Even on an album I quite like, there will often be like 2 or 3 songs on it that I absolutely love. Similarly those songs, enjoyable from beginning to end they may be, often have parts in them when everything just converges, when the planets align and the world outside my headphones stops. Those parts I replay incessantly and worry about wearing out and getting sick of but never do. Off the top of my head:
  1. DeVotchKa - The Last Beat of My Heart - end
  2. Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood - beginning
  3. Radiohead - All I Need - end
  4. Radiohead - Let Down - last verse to end
  5. Sebastien Tellier - La Ritournelle - first half
  6. TV On the Radio - Halfway Home - end
  7. Camera Obscura - Eighties Fan - once the tambourine kicks in (I'm such a girl)
  8. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - last chrous to end
  9. The Magnetic Fields - All My Little Words - whole damn thing

While I feel kind of ashamed to seemingly reduce my love of music to such a small handful of moments, like it's indicative of immaturity or a superficial appreciation for the medium, the fact of the matter is that when I think of groups I like I'll think of these moments, like my preference for them is centered around them. I'd love to know of more such perfect moments
floatsmile.png

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 34
Some nice songs you have listed there. I am listening to a magic moment right now...

2.42 into Impossible Germany (From Sky Blue Sky - Wilco). I am not really into guitar solo's, but hey - I love everything about the jazzy guitar solo from that track!

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even on an album I quite like, there will often be like 2 or 3 songs on it that I absolutely love. Similarly those songs, enjoyable from beginning to end they may be, often have parts in them when everything just converges, when the planets align and the world outside my headphones stops. Those parts I replay incessantly and worry about wearing out and getting sick of but never do. Off the top of my head:
  1. DeVotchKa - The Last Beat of My Heart - end
  2. Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood - beginning
  3. Radiohead - All I Need - end
  4. Radiohead - Let Down - last verse to end
  5. Sebastien Tellier - La Ritournelle - first half
  6. TV On the Radio - Halfway Home - end
  7. Camera Obscura - Eighties Fan - once the tambourine kicks in (I'm such a girl)
  8. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - last chrous to end
  9. The Magnetic Fields - All My Little Words - whole damn thing

While I feel kind of ashamed to seemingly reduce my love of music to such a small handful of moments, like it's indicative of immaturity or a superficial appreciation for the medium, the fact of the matter is that when I think of groups I like I'll think of these moments, like my preference for them is centered around them. I'd love to know of more such perfect moments
floatsmile.png

Great list! Radiohead and Arcade Fire have many perfect moments for me.

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]Radiohead - Let Down

I think for me the entirety of this song fits that description. So amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 34
Sep 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 34
First thing that comes to mind is from about 2:10 onward in Hysteric by Yeah Yeah Yeahs. There's just so much space between everything, even in a Grado. Although I really can't say how it sounds in anything else. Maybe it's the mating of the two.

The guitar solo at the end of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 is, for reasons I can't explain, by and far my favorite guitar solo.

The last verse of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. The original, not the Hendrix cover. It just paints a great, detailed scene, and gives me shivers every time.

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 34
-The Four Tops - Supremes cover of "River Deep, Mountain High"
-The power-pop chorus on Steely Dan's "Peg" - closely followed by the postmodern utopian synth on Fagen's "IGY"
-Hendrix' faux-Baroque ecstacy in the coda to "Bold as Love" -- and "Little Wing" and "Castles Made of Sand" (Axis: Bold as Love is seriously underrated in the Hendrix Canon)
-The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" and the rare, original bootleg of Brian Wilson singing the apocalyptic "Surf's Up"
-Leonard Cohen, "If It be Your Will"

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 34
There's a lot of those moments in Cocteau Twins music, which is one reason I think I like them so much. Cico Buff (amazing), KOR Float Boat and Squeeze Wax (the chorus parts with the vocals against that up/down driving rhythm) come to mind right away.

Also in Special by New Order, the part after the break when the vocals come back in always sounds so great to me for some reason. Regret kind of has that, too.

One of the best is in So What on Kind of Blue after the intro when the main instrumentation comes in - it's like *the* perfect musical moment of all time. classic!

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 34
There's a series of musical notes played by a saxophone near the end of the Roxy Music song "Avalon" that gives me goose bumps every time that I hear it...David Gilmour's solo in the song "Have A Cigar" is another perfect musical moment that comes to mind...

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 34
to the OP, check out Bon Iver and even Camera Obscura's newest album. If you like those i can recommend some more! Would also suggest Grizzly Bear (my favourite), but they aren't for everyone

I saw fleet foxes at massey Hall (amazing venue for accoustics). they were amazing.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 34
The beginning of Motörhead´s "Overkill" suddenly comes to mind... and perhaps the solo part of Testament´s "new order". Might be more but those two spontaneously fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back