Perfect listening room for AKG K1000
May 12, 2003 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jopi

100+ Head-Fier
Somebody posted this at the audioasylum today:

True confession time from the closet life. I am one of the most sickly twisted earspeaker fanatics that I know (actually, I'm the only one that I know). On this blue note, may I suggest two things: If you have a largish walk-in closet, listen to your K-1000's in there. My "listening closet", which is dedicated to K-1000 listening, measures about 4'x 8'. The space is just large enough to accomodate a comfortable chair. The reason why? Well, the small room boundaries help reinforce the sonics of the earspeakers and enhance the binaural spatial effects that these transparent little beauties can provide. I do not bother to close the door while listening - I sit back far enough into the enclosed part of the closet to get the effect that I am after, and besides, things might overheat if I close the door... Anyway, one might think that adding "room interactions" would sully the usual pristine earspeaker-experience of having no room interactions. But no, this practice adds just enough spatial life, bass reinforcement, and dimension to the experience to make me proclaim, "God!". Suggestion #2 is for the slightly less fanatical: Use these earspeakers in your "normal" listening room with a subwoofer! Go ahead, run a line to your subwoofer and adjust bass levels appropriately. This definitely adds the missing ingredient in headphone listening - a palpable bass and "visceral impact". (This particular tweak, by the way, works great for adding grunt to any headphone setup) Seriously - try these things and you'll be as amazed as I am. Cheers.

May 12, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Best until someone figures out how to get them inside of mothers wombs. I believe this will produce the best overall sound.

May 12, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 11
I've been saying the same thing, but for different reasons, to wit, it helps to drown out extraneous noise, like air conditioners, flourescent lights, footsteps, car horns, children playing, etc.

a tube amp can make the closet very hot, so you may only want to do this during the winter time. Otherwise you'll have to leave the door open and hope that the airconditioner can supply enough cool aire.

The two problems faced would then be electrical outlets and air vents at the very meeting of the closet ceiling and the outside (so that heat, which rises, can escape). For a closed door system, you may want to put air vents at the very floor level to allow cool aire to come into the closet.

May 12, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
Perfect listening room for AKG K1000

A Oxymoron if there ever was one.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 11
has any tried wearing the k1000 with different sized cardboard boxes on their head?

May 13, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
has any tried wearing the k1000 with different sized cardboard boxes on their head?

Nope, but sometimes I wear the boxes without a k1000. My bosses always smack their forehead and say "Oh come on!"
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 11
i listen to headphones in a 4x8 toilet , doors open , a lot of reverb i think ........ and it makes the sound airy.......
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Why not just use a Creative sound card with the "Bathroom" EAX setting? You'll get the same great sound without the overpowering odors!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Lando
Why not just use a Creative sound card with the "Bathroom" EAX setting? You'll get the same great sound without the overpowering odors!
biggrin.gif

Has that replaced the EAX "Cave" setting on the new models? "Bathroom" is certainly more appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back