Perfect From Now On - Davey's first Head-Fi review
Aug 31, 2003 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Well maybe not exactly my first review since I did do a little 3-way thing once (now that sounds like fun :)) here, but this is my first official full length 90s indie rock review!

We probably all have a handful of goto type albums, the ones you can pull out just about anytime and never get tired of hearing. Always sound fresh, but at the same time like an old friend. This is one of those for me. It was my introduction to Built To Spill, back sometime in 1997 when it came out on Warner Bros. Records. Indie rock on a big label. This was their first album for the WB. I picked up the double vinyl on the Up label, I think partly because I thought the cover was pretty cool. But I had probably read something about it too, can't remember exactly now. I was buying quite a bit of indie rock type vinyl back then, much of it unknown to me. This one took awhile to turn into a favorite though. I knew from the first listen that it was something special, but it's not the type of music that slaps you into submission. More like a slow acting but habit forming drug...you don't quite know how you feel about it but can't stop taking it. And after about ten times you're totally, hopelessly addicted.

Band leader Doug Martsch is something of a modern day guitar hero for those of you not in the know, and this was his band's epic. All long songs, only 8 of them, ranging from about 5 minutes to almost 9. No filler, all very solid. My understanding is they wound up recording it twice to get the sound they wanted, but didn't quite get there. Think maybe the Abbey Road suite type Beatles crossed with Down By The River type Neil Young and Crazy Horse (in fact they have a live album with an outstanding 20 minute version of Cortez the Killer :)) and maybe some occasional Electric Ladyland type Hendrix. Martsch has a whiney voice that's a bit like Neil Young, but most of the songs are written around that sound and work well with it. Lots of texture and spaciness, kind of like Pink Floyd even at times, but not really. Beautiful feedback and trance-inducing melodies. Cellos, melotrons and moog synths add even more texture and the lyrics bring color and depth to the images. Really a brilliant album, easily one of the best of the 90s. Highly recommended if you haven't heard it, but remember, it takes a while to really get down under your skin. Maybe if you can borrow a copy to give it a try before you buy? Or download some songs like "I Would Hurt A Fly", or just about anything on the album to be honest.

I did pick up a used copy of the CD a couple years ago and it's a little disappointing sound-wise compared to the LP which gives it more of an epic sound and they also have much better guitar tone. But I still love it regardless of the format.

Here's a few words about it from Doug Martsch that appeared in a Pulse! magazine interview .....

"That was one time when I thought I was in way over my head. [But] it worked out fine. And I love that record; I think it's the best thing that we've done. It was supposed to be kinda epic-sounding, but I was never able to get it where I wanted it and that was really disappointing to me, but in retrospect I think that's what makes it a cool record ... If it'd sounded the way I wanted it to sound like a Blur record or Radiohead or something; I imagined it being massive and I'm glad that it's not; I'm glad that it's still sort of like a guy in his room but kind of epic."

B000002NC4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Nice review, Davey. I have There's Nothing Wrong With Love and think it's great and have been wondering which album of theirs to pick up next. I'll check this one out.

Aug 31, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 7
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard the full album PERFECT FROM NOW ON but on the basis of the songs I have heard, I like KEEP IT LIKE A SECRET better. I just think their thing works better in smaller, easier to digest chunks as opposed to the longer epics on PERFECT. Though the double vinyl sounds really appealing.. maybe hearing it on that format might tip the scales. But SECRET is just such a fun listen. Just a head bobbin' good time. Nice to see ya 'round here. They talk about a lot of really colourful music around here..

-jar

Aug 31, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard the full album PERFECT FROM NOW ON

Well maybe you should listen to the damn thing before you offer your friggin' opinion about it!!!!!

Hehehe, just kidding! I like all their albums but I guess sometimes I just fall for the more proggy stuff. Love it when he just cuts loose with his guitar, like in the end of I Would Hurt A Fly.

Saw your post on that "other" board about seeing Walt Mink live. You need to hear that album, El Producto. It's very cool. I'll send you a copy since it's now OOP. Lots of guitars. Fun stuff! Maybe toss in Miss Happiness since you really need to hear the cover of Nick Drake's Pink Moon too
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Great review! Perfect from now on is one of my favorite Built to Spill records. For those wanting to check it out I would suggest listening to 'Randy Described Eternity'. A really good song. Cool lyrics.

It's kinda funny that in this day and age I own this album on vinyl and havn't been able to find it on CD.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim
For those wanting to check it out I would suggest listening to 'Randy Described Eternity'. A really good song. Cool lyrics.

Thanks Tim and you're right, that's a very cool song and a great opener. Really sets the tone for what's to follow. More of a Pink Floyd sound in that one but still very unique and instantly recognizable as Built To Spill, as is the whole album. Martsch has a pretty distinctive guitar sound. And his lyrics are kinda cool in sort of a metaphysical way :)

[size=xx-small]every thousand years
this metal sphere
ten times the size of Jupiter
floats just a few yards past the earth
you climb on your roof
and take a swipe at it
with a single feather
hit it once every thousand years
`til you've worn it down
to the size of a pea
yeah I'd say that's a long time
but it's only half a blink
in the place you're gonna be
where you gonna be
where will you spend eternity
I'm gonna be perfect from now on
I'm gonna be perfect starting now
stop making that sound
stop making that sound
I will say I forgot
but it was only yesterday
and it's all you had to say[/size]

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey! You're back! Yay!

Nice review, thanks, sounds like I might like it, will check it out.

NP: ...And The Reindeer You Rode In On... -- alienware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back