Percieved balance issue with Westone 3?
Nov 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rovlars

New Head-Fier
See, I've had these wonderful IEM's for a good ol year now and I've been very happy with my purchase. Been treating them very well too, a bit afraid for them to mess up (I still can't believe the cable isn't switchable though)  so. But for some reason I've now come to percieve a slight difference between the two sides. The left side being particularly undistinct at lows, while apparently still playing sounds ranging from mid to high at about or slightly less of the same volume.. switching ears doesn't make it any different so it's not my ears afaik. The difference is enough to throw me off, in my head it sounds like the sound is somewhere to the right of me for the most part, and on occasion I can't make out any sound coming out of the left speaker. 

It's repliceable on several pieces of equipment, and if I switch to other phones I don't get the same result. 

I'm a bit worried. Are they broken or is my head screwing around with me? (psychology ftl) The tips I enjoyed the most simply wore out and in the end couldn't fit on them.. it was about after this time I recognized this issue. With other tips I can never seem to get the left tip to fit quite as comfortably as the right one.. could the tips add to the percieved issue as well? This wouldn't explain why the balance is off when I switch ears though.

...with my luck the warranty is probably out, nor can I find my receipt, so trading them in is sadly out of the question. I'd just like to see if any issue quite like this one is possible or just exists in my head. Or if it's even possible to "fix".

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
See, I've had these wonderful IEM's for a good ol year now and I've been very happy with my purchase. Been treating them very well too, a bit afraid for them to mess up (I still can't believe the cable isn't switchable though)  so. But for some reason I've now come to percieve a slight difference between the two sides. The left side being particularly undistinct at lows, while apparently still playing sounds ranging from mid to high at about or slightly less of the same volume.. switching ears doesn't make it any different so it's not my ears afaik. The difference is enough to throw me off, in my head it sounds like the sound is somewhere to the right of me for the most part, and on occasion I can't make out any sound coming out of the left speaker. 

It's repliceable on several pieces of equipment, and if I switch to other phones I don't get the same result. 

I'm a bit worried. Are they broken or is my head screwing around with me? (psychology ftl) The tips I enjoyed the most simply wore out and in the end couldn't fit on them.. it was about after this time I recognized this issue. With other tips I can never seem to get the left tip to fit quite as comfortably as the right one.. could the tips add to the percieved issue as well? This wouldn't explain why the balance is off when I switch ears though.

...with my luck the warranty is probably out, nor can I find my receipt, so trading them in is sadly out of the question. I'd just like to see if any issue quite like this one is possible or just exists in my head. Or if it's even possible to "fix".

If you're not getting a seal in your left ear, that will definitely through the balance off, especially regarding the lows.  You haven't mentioned which tips you've been using so I can't help you there.  I find the Shure olives to be the best tip for me with the W3.  The foam contours to my ear canal and gives me a perfect seal every time.  The Comply tips are my second favorite tip with them.  Also use the wax removal tool to see if there is a build up of wax in the nozzle.  If all else fails, Westone's customer service is supposed to be outstanding, give them a call.  Even if you can't find your receipt.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Quote:

If you're not getting a seal in your left ear, that will definitely through the balance off, especially regarding the lows.  You haven't mentioned which tips you've been using so I can't help you there.  I find the Shure olives to be the best tip for me with the W3.  The foam contours to my ear canal and gives me a perfect seal every time.  The Comply tips are my second favorite tip with them.  Also use the wax removal tool to see if there is a build up of wax in the nozzle.  If all else fails, Westone's customer service is supposed to be outstanding, give them a call.  Even if you can't find your receipt.

The only tips I could get to fit completely nice and snug without being uncomfortable was the supplied triple flangled tips, (cut off to be a double flangle). Right now I'm actually using (having switched to) the bigger Shure Olives...

But on another matter, using these tips right now I have to say it feels pretty nice. They isolate sound well.. it's just I dunno. I should try to find a track to properly test them with. At this point Im actually considering it to be may imagination that is to blame. But yet it bothers me.

Follow up: Okay... definitely a balance issue here. Comparing these with other headphones (however cheaper, no-brand ones sadly), the balance is off by a large margin. I've countered it by playing with the balance of the units I'm listening on... but I swear this hasn't happened before. What could be the possible cause? Wear? I'm almost desperate here really.. anywhere I could send them in without a receipt to be fixed/refurbished or even "improved" for a sum? $400 iems is a lot for someone like me, my wallet wouldn't be able to take such a punch for a year if I so tried to.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 5
See, what could this balancing issue relate to? Broken drivers? Worn cable? Anything? I am starting to consider reshelling for the sake of getting a perfect fit and an exhangeable cable, in hopes that the issue could be related to a worn cable. But that won't help if this little beauty is beyond repair.

Maybe I'm better off saving my money to get a new pair of IEM's/Headphones altogether? 

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
See, what could this balancing issue relate to? Broken drivers? Worn cable? Anything? I am starting to consider reshelling for the sake of getting a perfect fit and an exhangeable cable, in hopes that the issue could be related to a worn cable. But that won't help if this little beauty is beyond repair.

Maybe I'm better off saving my money to get a new pair of IEM's/Headphones altogether? 

It could be any of the above.  I'd call Westone before anything else.  I've heard great things from others, even when they were out of warranty.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back