Perception is a funny thing
Jan 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Lightnin Joe

Head-Fier
My wife tuned in to that new show "Love Monkey" last night. I kept an eye on it whilst reading. The main character is an A&R rep for a "Major Label." All through the show everyone talks about their "love of music" and how the main character "loves music" and "puts his love of music before everything else" etc. and so forth. Yet every time you see him with 'phones on he has those execrable iPod earbuds on. Guess he loves listening to music through string and tin cans. Anyway, the perception of the unknowing masses is that everything Apple does is top of the line, best in show, etc. Now I love their stuff but COME ON! You just know the producers of the show had him in those earbuds to show how "hip" and "into music" he is. Not knowing the actual truth.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 19
Aw, I was hoping he would be wearing around an orpheus everywhere, with the amp strapped on his back
orphsmile.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 19
Meh. I know people who like music a lot, and are actually musicians and don't really care much about sound quality. I don't really understand this but it makes sense to him. Oh, did I mention he is a drummer?

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
Meh. I know people who like music a lot, and are actually musicians and don't really care much about sound quality. I don't really understand this but it makes sense to him. Oh, did I mention he is a drummer?

Oh, quiet. So am I. Doesn't mean anything, honest.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 19
Screw em'. We're cooler.

If one wants to spread head-fi, carry PX100's at all times to offer and audition to any DAP user one may cross.

I do and Senn should send me commision for the 4 I've sold in the last two weeks.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 19
Most of the good musicians I know aren't equipment geeks. One of my friends is a concert-level pianist and teaches guitar...he listens to music on his crappy car stereo. My best friend from college owns more music than me and plays guitar very well, but mainly listens on five crappy Creative PC speakers circa ten years ago.

Much as we'd like to be all superior, it's entirely possible to love and appreciate music through equipment we'd call 'crap'. We're the odd ones, not them. Live with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Most of the good musicians I know aren't equipment geeks. One of my friends is a concert-level pianist and teaches guitar...he listens to music on his crappy car stereo. My best friend from college owns more music than me and plays guitar very well, but mainly listens on five crappy Creative PC speakers circa ten years ago.

Much as we'd like to be all superior, it's entirely possible to love and appreciate music through equipment we'd call 'crap'. We're the odd ones, not them. Live with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quoted for truth.

In fact sometimes I envy those kind of people. I wish I could just enjoy my music without spending thousands of dollars.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Surely no one thinks those iPod Earbuds are "better" than say a pair of HD650s.

Most people that use iPod buds just don't care... I can't believe that it's because they think they're good.

Bose on the other hand...

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
It's not what you listen through, it's what you listen to.

True.

But then again you can listen to something and think that it sounds alright on a pair of stock buds... then you get something that sounds good and listen again and realise that it actually sounds much much better (of course this can kinda work the other way and something that you thought sounded really good then sounds a bit worse as you realise that it wasn't recorded very well)

I'm in the process now of relistening to my entire CD collection (when I have time) due to recently getting a Corda Aria amp and MS1/DT880 to listen to them all on. All the albums are suddenly sounding much better then I ever remembering them being and well worth spending the time listening again to realise the differences in sound between them.

Jan 19, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 19
All good thoughts. I guess the point of my original post is the show is subtly making the point that someone whose life is music would of course be listening to an iPod. In other words by default the iPod and its associated earbuds represent the ultimate in portable music. Yes, I too have friends "in the industry" to whom this is literally true. As a matter of fact one of my buddies will play his mixes through a cheap boom box to hear what it sounds like in a system an average person might have. Like the post topic says, I'm just commenting on perception. For most the truism holds: Perfection is the enemy of Good Enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back