People who use computer speakers and headphones
Feb 7, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

1ceman

Head-Fier
So I was wondering what people who listen to computer speakers and have a headphone amp do. For example, I want to get a set of HK Soundsticks but there's not headphone out. If I want to listen to headphones and get a headphone amp, what kind of switch/selector/receiver should I get?

I don't really want to buy a real receiver since I'm a poor student lol...what would be the cheapest solution without losing any SQ? I tried looking at places like radio shack but all i see are selectors with RCA plugs instead of 3.5mm

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 12
I use an external DAC for my headphone setup, so I use the digital output on my X-Fi's front panel for headphone listening. For PC Speakers, I just connect them to the line output of my X-Fi.

Feb 7, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Eventually, what I'm going to do, is sc->Zhalou->(t-amp-> speakers) or (A900's).

On the back of the Zhalou, there are rca outs, which is what I'll use for the T-amp, and run my headphones through the amp on the Zhalou.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 12
When I get my amp I'll be running the soundcard to the amp, then from the amp's loop out to my receiver.

But you can do the same thing with a set of PC active speakers. Sound -> amp -> amp loopout -> RCA to female stereo 3.5mm -> PC speakers.

Feb 8, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Azultra's NewEgg link is for the M-Audio Revolution 5.1. I bought and used one of these for the same issue which you seem to have. The dedicated headphone output is quite decent as is separate 5.1 analog output. All 8 channels use the same AKM DAC (unlike the Revo7 and the Chaintech).

The main problem from an audiophile standpoint is the use of polarized electrolytic caps between the DAC buffers and the outputs. I used to install Black Gate NX caps (47uF @ 6.3V) but I now recommend jumper wires as they are easier to install and cost a lot less. If there is a problem with offset voltages (normally 5-10 mv) then you can deal with it downstream. My Gilmore headphone amp, for instance, has a DC servo which can correct about 10-20 mv offset. Most multimedia amps (like Logitech or Cambridge Soundworks) will have input caps anyway.

The digital coax output is also good. Only problem is you can't send analog and digital output at the same time, it's one or the other.

For a really good solution look at the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile (FWAP). This unit uses the Delta FW drivers and they are better supported than the Revo drivers (if they even have any support). It is only a stereo unit (4in-6out counting the SPDIF but not counting the dedicated headphone amp) but has digital pass-thru on the coax SPFIF output.

Feb 8, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 12
I switch in between sources with my cable. soon ill have a t-amp powering a pair of bookshelves so ill post what its gonna be

AV710 -> BJC 1/8" mini to mini -> t-amp -> bookshelves
then if i want to use headphones i just unplug the t-amp
AV710-> BJC 1/8" mini to mini -> PA2V2 -> headphones

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ceman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was wondering what people who listen to computer speakers and have a headphone amp do. For example, I want to get a set of HK Soundsticks but there's not headphone out. If I want to listen to headphones and get a headphone amp, what kind of switch/selector/receiver should I get?

I don't really want to buy a real receiver since I'm a poor student lol...what would be the cheapest solution without losing any SQ? I tried looking at places like radio shack but all i see are selectors with RCA plugs instead of 3.5mm

I use an Audigy 2; I know old. But it outputs digital and analog at the same time. The analog goes to my computer speakers, and the coaxial digital goes to a beresford DAC > PIMETA.

Or you can just get this, a simple selector switch, $21. Haven't tried it, and not sure how far the degradation in SQ is, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back