People who have HD700 please help , should i buy this headphone ?
Jul 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
so i almost listen to every type of music and i already have a FiiO E10 Amp

but i dont want to buy an expensive headphone like this and after that findout that they sound 'bad' on some genres either , i mean its kinda weird to say that a headphone with this price sound bad on a genre but thats some people on the internet say 
like they say they dont sound good on hip hop or trande/dance music , i mean they  are not the only genre i listen to but i already have a denon d2000 and i dont want to buy this and be like damn d2000 was actually better than this !!!!

so what you guys think ? also there is no test option for this headphone where i live so i cant test them before purchase so i really need your guys help

also it would be very helpful to me if you guys listen to some music that i say and tell me your feedback on the song
for example if anyone can listen to a high quality version of this song : ellie goulding - lights
so does it lack bass ? do you like how this sound ? or should i just go for the HD650 if i want my headphone to sound great at every genre ?  

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 19

but i dont want to buy an expensive headphone like this and after that findout that they sound 'bad' on some genres either , i mean its kinda weird to say that a headphone with this price sound bad on a genre but thats some people on the internet say 
like they say they dont sound good on hip hop or trande/dance music , i mean they  are not the only genre i listen to but i already have a denon d2000 and i dont want to buy this and be like damn d2000 was actually better than this !!!!

so what you guys think ? also there is no test option for this headphone where i live so i cant test them before purchase so i really need your guys help

also it would be very helpful to me if you guys listen to some music that i say and tell me your feedback on the song
for example if anyone can listen to a high quality version of this song : ellie goulding - lights
so does it lack bass ? do you like how this sound ? or should i just go for the HD650 if i want my headphone to sound great at every genre ?  

I can try that song later on my HD700 and HD650 using FiiO E10 and report back

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 19

I can try that song later on my HD700 and HD650 using FiiO E10 and report back

thanks ! that would be very helpful 
and overall , which one would you suggest to me ? 700 or 650 ?
i mean i really dont care about the bass , i just want the headphone that sounds great with almost every genre , what is your suggestion to me? and also comfort is important too for me , so if you had to choose one of them to use with FiiO e10 and listen to every genre , which one would you go for ?

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Tried your song.

I prefer the HD650. Fuller bass, smoother treble, overall a more forgiving presentation that can be enjoyed at medium and high volume.
On the other hand HD700 sounds lighter and brighter (TSS, TSS, SSS, SHH, you know...) the bass is lighter so you tend to raise the volume but highs can become bothersome before the bass reach the desired punch.

HD650 is a great headphone, it won't probably stand out at first listen, but it really grows on you and never fail to give a faithful and pleasant representation of music.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 19
  Tried your song.

I prefer the HD650. Fuller bass, smoother treble, overall a more forgiving presentation that can be enjoyed at medium and high volume.
On the other hand HD700 sounds lighter and brighter (TSS, TSS, SSS, SHH, you know...) the bass is lighter so you tend to raise the volume but highs can become bothersome before the bass reach the desired punch.

HD650 is a great headphone, it won't probably stand out at first listen, but it really grows on you and never fail to give a faithful and pleasant representation of music.

ok so overall you think HD650 is better choice right ? and what about the comfort ? is there a big difference for long usage ?

also i see you have T1 and DT880 too , those are available where i live too , so overall which on of your headphone would you suggest for me to go for ?
i mean i listen to every genre but i mostly listen to music with bass i guess like hip hop and pop , and comfort for long usage is important for me and i wanna use it at home , but i also listen to country aswel , i just want that type of headphone that has the right amount of bass ( not too much , not too little ) and sounds like the singer is right next to me in pop songs and sounds 'fun' in hip hop genre aswel 

should i just go for HD650 instead of 700 T1 and DT880 ? does 650 sound best in the music that i gave you ?
thanks again for reply

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 19
DT880 sounds similar to HD700 in the big scheme of things.
The T1 works a bit better for pop but not so much anyway, still sharp sounding, the bass doesn't stand out much and the analytical nature rule out good part of the recordings.

In this case, I would say:

HD650 >> T1 >> HD700=DT880

If you can afford a higher grade DAC/Amp, that would be a nice addition for HD650.
Maybe the Matrix HPA-2 or even a Schiit Vali 2 that you can plug into the line out of your FiiO E10.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 19
I owned the HD 650 and HD 700 and prefer the HD 650 overall because it has less aberrations in the frequency response and sounds good with everything. If you're willing to use a parametric equalizer, though, I would recommend the HD 700. It has better comfort and outperforms the HD 650 in some respects.

For your reference:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796791/the-most-reliable-easiest-way-to-eq-headphones-properly-to-achieve-the-most-ideal-sound-for-non-professionals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Never owned the 650's but I have the 700's and really like them the treble spike is not a problem for me on most recordings the soundstage and detail is much better than the 650's to me and I like a little brighter can the T-1 is a very good headphone also a bit on the bright side a little more than the 700's if I recall correctly .

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 19
(...) I like a little brighter can the T-1 is a very good headphone also a bit on the bright side a little more than the 700's if I recall correctly .

That's relative. The Tesla T1 is brighter around 8kHz but the HD700 is brighter around 6-7 kHz.
In my experience the HD700 can sound steely next to the T1 and it's more prone to emphasize sibilance. On the other hand the T1 can sound sharper on certain recordings.
HD700 is also drier than the T1 and can be perceived as more analytical next to the lusher T1.

I enjoy both, but not for the genres the OP listed.

HD650 might not sound as open or tight as DT880, HD700 or the Tesla T1 with a top class recording from an audiophile label, but it manages to sound much more pleasant with average recordings and it still sounds great with quality recordings.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Like I said from what I recalled. I have been known to be wrong before but don't tell my wife that; )

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 19
Like I said from what I recalled. I have been known to be wrong before but don't tell my wife that; )

You have my word ; )

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 19

You have my word ; )

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmidelF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look at some other factor you aren't taking into consideration. HD700 (and HD800) earpads are irregularly shaped and there aren't any cheap alternatives (and besides sometimes too cheap is just too cheap - I have third party Beyer pads and the stitches ripped open in around 9mos), and Sennheiser sells them for $95 a pair. By contrast original spec HD6x0/580 earpads are $60 for the pair, but you can easily mount Brainwavz HM5 earpads on the plastic frame of your older pads, which are half the price and come in varying materials and thickness.

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 19

Look at some other factor you aren't taking into consideration. HD700 (and HD800) earpads are irregularly shaped and there aren't any cheap alternatives (and besides sometimes too cheap is just too cheap - I have third party Beyer pads and the stitches ripped open in around 9mos), and Sennheiser sells them for $95 a pair. By contrast original spec HD6x0/580 earpads are $60 for the pair, but you can easily mount Brainwavz HM5 earpads on the plastic frame of your older pads, which are half the price and come in varying materials and thickness.

are they going to fit my denon d2000 ? 

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 19
  DT880 sounds similar to HD700 in the big scheme of things.
The T1 works a bit better for pop but not so much anyway, still sharp sounding, the bass doesn't stand out much and the analytical nature rule out good part of the recordings.

In this case, I would say:

HD650 >> T1 >> HD700=DT880

If you can afford a higher grade DAC/Amp, that would be a nice addition for HD650.
Maybe the Matrix HPA-2 or even a Schiit Vali 2 that you can plug into the line out of your FiiO E10.

and overall you think E10 can drive HD650 and are they a good pair ?
i mean i really dont want to buy another amp/dac unless i really have to and even if i do i can only go as high as 200$
you think i should keep my E10 and just get a HD650 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back