People who don't get audio....
Oct 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Genjisleeps

100+ Head-Fier
I recently put together my portable setup and the only thing my family is saying is "You should get a speaker..." and  "Headphones aren't made to be that loud....". The first time or anytime you made any kind of setup was there any people who said anything like this and didn't get what audiophile setups were meant to be like.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 7
What I get from what they're saying is that they can hear what you're listening to, and if they can perfectly hear loudly what you're listening to, you can soon say hello to tinnitus.

I recently got into an (sorta) argument with my little brother. He says he says he hates me buying headphones (and music) due to the way I act towards them. Even though he acts the same way...I sometimes out of instinct judge new music no matter who is playing it. And he hates when I judge it when he plays it. And he judges people with cars and car parts the same way. I never told him in the argument because it never held a grudge against me. it made him mad, so I made him seem like he won the argument and let it slide. So I found out music and headphones sorta made me judgemental to certain things. Like he was to cars. Only I dont have anyone to be friends about headphones and music with here. He has everyone cousins and all to be friendly about cars with. So basically if you have everyone to be happy with you can be very content. but if you don't have anyone you can be like me paranoid and alone.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 7
   My family definitely doesn't care about headphones either. My brother, who I share my V-80 and M50 with, listens commonly to his stock Samsung smartphone earphones. And my dad has my AD700 now, but he can't tell the difference between it and stock <$20 headsets. Some most people really don't care about hifi headphones..and it practically stops there. It takes inspiration, a desire for fidelity, for them to actually listen for such fidelity. It's practically useless trying to convert people into Headfiers if they don't want to be.
   Have you seen this thread? www.head-fi.org/t/650328/non-audiophile-reactions-to-high-end-headphones-part-ii/
There are tons of posts here about similar situations to yours. It's also a really good read, going through all the pages when you're bored. Just don't mind all of the off-topic posts!

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 7
  I recently got into an (sorta) argument with my little brother. He says he says he hates me buying headphones (and music) due to the way I act towards them. Even though he acts the same way...I sometimes out of instinct judge new music no matter who is playing it. And he hates when I judge it when he plays it. And he judges people with cars and car parts the same way. I never told him in the argument because it never held a grudge against me. it made him mad, so I made him seem like he won the argument and let it slide. So I found out music and headphones sorta made me judgemental to certain things. Like he was to cars. Only I dont have anyone to be friends about headphones and music with here. He has everyone cousins and all to be friendly about cars with. So basically if you have everyone to be happy with you can be very content. but if you don't have anyone you can be like me paranoid and alone.

Actually my point wasn't about getting along, it's about your ear health. Regardless of what they think of your hobby or what you think of theirs, if they can hear your music with closed headphones on, you're listening too loud. If they can hear your open headphones from another room, that's also too freaking loud. 

In any case those judgmental reactions, even if wrong, are natural to the human condition. Think of the way you would react if you get invited to your date's bedroom, and once you're inside you see the walls lined with Justin Beiber posters. Same banana, except both of you hate each other's taste (of course, I'm more likely to be aligned with your tastes than the Belieber, so there's that).

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 7

Actually my point wasn't about getting along, it's about your ear health. Regardless of what they think of your hobby or what you think of theirs, if they can hear your music with closed headphones on, you're listening too loud. If they can hear your open headphones from another room, that's also too freaking loud. 

In any case those judgmental reactions, even if wrong, are natural to the human condition. Think of the way you would react if you get invited to your date's bedroom, and once you're inside you see the walls lined with Justin Beiber posters. Same banana, except both of you hate each other's taste (of course, I'm more likely to be aligned with your tastes than the Belieber, so there's that).

I actually got that it was about my health but if using amps to make the headphones "louder" what would be the use of the amps. and yes I would hate my date being a belieber but she would like her music and I would like mine. no question about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back